Gransnet forums

House and home

Integrated kitchen appliances or not?

(35 Posts)
lovingit62 Sat 29-Feb-20 10:28:10

Hi all.

I am new here and enjoy reading through all the conversations and advice given. So would really appreciate any thoughts/advice on this.

My DW and I have recently retired and are currently in the process of planning a new kitchen. We have always just had stand alone appliances but are thinking of moving to all integrated appliances. We have a fairly small kitchen so think this would look better but have read quite a bit about integrated appliances being difficult to replace or remove to get fixed etc.

What would your preference be if you were starting your kitchen from scratch again and what are your experiences of integrated appliances? I'd really appreciate your thoughts.

grannysue05 Sat 29-Feb-20 10:38:31

Hello lovingit.

We changed to a fully fitted kitchen several years ago and have never looked back. We previously had free standing appliances etc.

One big benefit it the height of the built in oven and microwave. No more bending to lift things in and out, and a lot safer.
Handy tip .... opt for a self cleaning oven. Worth its weight in gold.

So far no problem with servicing. The appliances slide out of the housing should they need attention.

Have lots of fun choosing your new kitchen.

Charleygirl5 Sat 29-Feb-20 10:40:14

In my opinion, integrated appliances do look really good especially in a small kitchen but from personal experience, it did cost more to replace when broken down and I slowly changed mine back to stand alone.

If eg a washing machine had to be replaced, Currys men or whoever did not want to know and dumped it in the middle of the kitchen and I had to find somebody to do the necessary work.

FlexibleFriend Sat 29-Feb-20 10:40:30

Depends which appliances you're talking about, my dishwasher has been replaced a few times without any problems. My washing machine and tumble dryer are both in the utility room so no problem. We had an integrated fridge freezer in a previous house and the only issue was because it has to fit inside a unit it's smaller and more expensive than a bog standard fridge freezer. No problems with any of them going wrong and being fixed etc.

DoraMarr Sat 29-Feb-20 11:13:42

Well, I have a fully integrated kitchen in my apartment so I have no choice, unless I rip it all out! It does look neater, but I’ve had to replace my fridge and freezer, and they were lots more expensive than stand- alone ones. So, if cost is important, look at having some appliances stand-alone.

lovingit62 Sat 29-Feb-20 11:30:34

Thanks all for taking the time to reply. I think we are swaying towards all appliances being integrated but you do read some horror stories at times. I guess everyone has bad experiences with white goods however, whether or not they are integrated.

grannysue05 thanks that's re-assuring. It is exciting picking everything out. Just hope the estimate is reasonable smile.

SalsaQueen Sat 29-Feb-20 12:00:17

Our kitchen was put in about 15 years ago (and is still in very good condition), and all our appliances are integrated - cooker, 'fridge, freezer, dishwasher - and so far they are all still in good working order. The only thing we've had to replace in 15 years has been the waste disposal unit, and my husband did that.

Witzend Sat 29-Feb-20 12:07:21

We had integrated washing machine and dishwasher when kitchen was done, admittedly ages ago now.
But when we had to replace them, we didn’t bother - they were so much more expensive. Plus one of the matching panels had been damaged and that style of panel was no longer available.

When dd was re-doing her kitchen not long ago and asked my opinion, I said I wouldn’t bother, esp. since cost is always going to be a factor. And she didn’t - but her kitchen is a very slightly off-white anyway so white appliances blend in well

Septimia Sat 29-Feb-20 12:26:07

We've replaced both hob and oven in our fitted kitchen - at least twice. The original fridge is holding up and the washing machine has been replaced a couple of times, but that just slots in under the worktop behind a matching door.

The replacements caused no real problems in fitting (having measured the apertures and bought accordingly, although the current hob needed the hole in the worktop adjusted slightly.

I much prefer having the hob and oven integrated to having a free-standing oven.

lovingit62 Sat 29-Feb-20 21:35:12

Sorry for the delay in responding, we have been in town all day with our DGD. It sounds as though it depends on your own preference with very little trouble in replacing, other than the cost which we will look into.

Thanks again everyone.

Dollymac Sat 29-Feb-20 21:52:37

We have integrated appliances (I've just read that back and thought I had morphed into Hyacinth Bouquet, sorry )
I like that everything is hidden away, behind the same doors as our kitchen cupboards. It looks neat and tidy
If we have had repairs, the guys seem to find it relatively easy to take out and put back again

Purpledaffodil Sat 29-Feb-20 21:54:52

I would suggest you check Which for reviews when choosing appliances. I have integrated ones apart from range cooker and very nearly chose an integrated fridge which was a Which Don’t buy. Although a well known make, it had inflammable back panels? Also although I enjoy my integrated microwave, the only one which fits in the correct housing is too small for some microwaveable pots and so I still have a larger one in the utility room. But it is fun choosing all this from scratch!

HettyMaud Sat 29-Feb-20 21:55:26

Integrated appliances look so much better. But DH, who has installed many kitchens, says the appliances are never as good as free-standing ones.

MissAdventure Sat 29-Feb-20 22:07:43

Oh, I'd love integrated appliances!

JuliaM Sat 29-Feb-20 22:29:15

We have just had a new Howdens Kitchen fitted and chose Bosch integrated appliances, and we are very pleased with it.
Like others have said, it’s much easier to have an eye level oven than a traditional over and hob type of cooker. However, small appliances, such as a Microwave, Kettle and Toaster we have kept freestanding on the work surfaces, so fairly quick and cheap to replace if ever they fail. We have got an integrated under counter larder fridge, but the main large fridge, Freezer, washing machine and tumble dryer live in the utility room just off the main kitchen. We also chose to have a really good quality laminate work surface as an alternative to real wood or stone which require regular maintainable to keep them looking good. Tbh, it’s nothing like the old Laminates used to be, you cannot tell the difference that it is not actual real wood, you would need to gouge out a piece to discover there’s no splinters!

JuliaM Sat 29-Feb-20 22:37:30

Forgot to say we also had an integrated Dishwasher fitted, which is very clever as it just looks like a normal cupboard from the outside, the controls are along the top edge of the washer door, and it displays coloured down lights onto the kitchen floor to indicate what stage of the programme it’s doing!

Chewbacca Sat 29-Feb-20 22:45:16

Think we have the same dishwasher JuliaM! I love my disco lights dishwasher! grin

SpringyChicken Sat 29-Feb-20 22:46:47

My friend always moans about her integrated fridge freezer because the freezer capacity is so small compared to freestanding models. We have an integrated dishwasher - it seems to hold as much as a freestanding model. Eye level ovens are excellent, no more bending down. If you are having new base units, I recommend the giant drawers instead of cupboards. They are so much easier to use and hold more than cupboards. We have integrated waste bins inside a base unit beside the sink. I open the door and two large bins slide out on runners. So lovely to have the bins hidden.
Always look online at the manufacturer websites to see the full range of available appliances. Showrooms have only a small selection. Often there are finishes available that you don't see in shops. E.G my friend has the identical built in oven, hers is stainless steel, mine is black glass to match the hob and easier to keep looking smart.

SpringyChicken Sat 29-Feb-20 22:48:32

Julia, that sounds like my dishwasher too! It's lovely and quiet so we need the light to know when it's on.

NotSpaghetti Sat 29-Feb-20 23:57:35

I have had both. My new kitchen is all integrated but if I didn't think we would be moving soonish I would have had freestanding ones.

The oven and hob, fair enough, but certainly not the fridge-freezer or washer/dishwasher.

If you DO choose them, my cabinet fitter said the ones with the slider on the doors are much more durable than the ones where they simply screw on. Also, re the dishwasher, make sure you seal under the work surface and be sure to be careful not to open it in cycle. He said that is why the doors/bases on dishwashers tend to damage over time (with the steam and moisture). Like others here we bought one with floor lights so we know what is going on.

Also, I don't like not really being able to leave my washer door ajar after a load. I feel it will get smelly over time or at the very least need a boil wash to clean it more often... oh, and yes, the fridges are much smaller. ... and everything is more expensive.

Having said that, yes it looks very smart. And bigger. Suppose you choose what's most important when you do it.

Good luck!

lovingit62 Sun 01-Mar-20 00:54:24

NotSphagetti that's interesting. My DW and I have always just washed the dishes in the sink and have never thought about a dishwasher. There is only the two of us and it seems easier just to use some fairy and job done!!

JuliaM we are going with Howden's as well and have also chosen Bosch so good to hear. I like the idea of an eye level oven. Saves on the old back haha.

JuliaM Mon 02-Mar-20 10:26:21

Lovingit62, which range are you thinking of using? We have the Tewksbury in Cashmere, with the solid timber frames and doors, less risk of any swelling due to heat/water damage that’s possible with MDF ranges. I agree regards the large deep pan draws, they’re a wonderful help rather than having to reach into the backs of low cupboards, and the extra wide one with top cutlery and utensils draw that fits under the hob is the best thing since sliced bread! We have a 600mm wide Bosch undercounted larder fridge fitted, it’s surprisingly spacious, I’m very pleased with it, my old Fridge and Freezer are still freestanding in the utility room, along with the washer and dryer, although if the old fridge ever failed, l doubt that l would bother replacing it, the Bosch one will do us fine!

MiniDriver56 Mon 02-Mar-20 10:31:14

We went to stand alone goods on a new kitchen. Interrogated goods are more expensive to replace and they take more room up. I would stay with stand alone.

FlexibleFriend Mon 02-Mar-20 10:45:22

Integrated appliances do not take up more room they are made smaller to fit inside standard size cupboards. Stand alone are definitely cheaper. Some integrated appliances just have a door attached to the front such as a dishwasher, apart from that they are the same as a stand alone without the fascia door.

kittylester Mon 02-Mar-20 11:10:50

Dishwashers are more economical both in terms of energy and water than washing up by hand and definitely more hygienic.

In my view the argument that there are only 2 people doesnt stand up to scrutiny. If I make a roast for 2 people rather than 5 people, I still need as many pots and pans!