Gransnet forums

House and home

Interior designer - would you, (have you) employ(ed) one?

(58 Posts)
grannyactivist Thu 05-Mar-20 13:29:23

Just that really.

A relative bought a beautiful house a few years ago and has had it re-decorated. According to the estate agent who re-valued it recently the new interior design has increased the value quite substantially (massively in fact shock). I'm quite surprised as I always thought that most people prefer to create their own 'look', but apparently not.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Thu 05-Mar-20 13:32:08

I've never employed someone to do this as I consider that I'm quite artistic and enjoy designing my own look.
However if you lack confidence I can see that it would work.

ninathenana Thu 05-Mar-20 17:50:15

No, as people tell me I'm quiet good at it myself.

phoenix Thu 05-Mar-20 17:55:51

My late boss, a furniture designer had a lot of dealings with interior designers who would approach him to design a piece for a client they had been commissioned by.

He referred to them (the interior designers) as "cushion chuckers" grin

ga I think I can guess which relative you are referring to! wink

grannyactivist Fri 06-Mar-20 14:49:35

Your "cushion chuckers" made me laugh Phoenix as this particular relative positively swoons over cushions. confused I have no style whatsoever and little interest in how my home looks, other than it being welcoming, but I am intrigued by the market there is for interior design.

I am being 'gifted' a dining room design later in the year as apparently the current orange and yellow colour scheme is 'not conducive to a good dining experience' (yes, I know, but my husband chose it, not me). A 'mood board' is being created for me and I have been asked which three words I would like to associate with the room.

Has anyone on GN actually used an interior designer?

TrendyNannie6 Fri 06-Mar-20 15:20:56

No I’ve never employed anyone to do this, we are usually quite confident in choosing and doing everything ourselves, something we have learnt as we go along.

Callistemon Fri 06-Mar-20 15:47:12

A few years ago we knew an interior designer who worked locally. We always knew whose house interior had been designed by her - they were all fairly similar!

merlotgran Fri 06-Mar-20 16:26:04

There is so much inspiration on Pinterest now that I can't see the point in paying shed loads of money for somebody else's ideas.

I've wasted a lot of time on Pinterest. grin

Namsnanny Fri 06-Mar-20 16:36:03

I love all aspects of design including theatre. Interior design of my home would be so.ething I would love to do. Maybe not the actual painting building g works now!
But the planning and choosing colours style and fabrics.
I'm getting excited just thi king about it!

LullyDully Fri 06-Mar-20 16:41:20

A friend of mine is an interior designer in a very posh city.

She has people who move into a house ,with a fabulous new kitchen, which they rip out because they didn't choose it. She also says that it can take an hour to discuss which shade of white is more appropriate to their house. I can't help but think that some people inhabit a very different world to mine.

kittylester Fri 06-Mar-20 16:54:20

Why would I do that - I have a very opinionated daughter who performs that purpose!! grin

DoraMarr Fri 06-Mar-20 17:03:31

I would, although I quite like my home as it is. I think interior designers have a good eye for what would make a room or a house beautiful. I’d love someone to redesign my one big room and create more storage space in the kitchen area, for instance. A good interior designer will have trained in design, and will also know where to source materials, furniture and lighting as well as soft furnishings. I’d love to work with one!

Jane10 Fri 06-Mar-20 17:06:47

Oh no. I like our house to look like us, to reflect our likes and interests and personalities. I want mmmm factor not wow factor.

CanadianGran Fri 06-Mar-20 23:15:35

I think a good designer works with their client to really understand their likes.

While I haven't ever used a designer, I would really value the experience, especially if I was doing a major makeover. As it is, we tend to just do small things. A new couch one year, new lamps the next, etc. Never all at once!

We purchased a condo in another area of the province, currently rented out but hope to spend retirement there. I think I could splurge on a designer/decorator since I think it would be a bit overwhelming to go in and buy everything all at once.

MissAdventure Fri 06-Mar-20 23:21:44

I think I would have one, if I ever had any money fall out of the sky.

Hopefully, they'd design something even more 'me' than I would.

Chewbacca Fri 06-Mar-20 23:27:57

I'd be delighted if someone could come in and help to coordinate all the mismatched furniture, blinds and rugs and make them look like they belonged to each other. As it is, my house is just a hotch potch of things I've bought or acquired and it never looks like it was "meant".

Jane10 Sat 07-Mar-20 07:35:50

Sounds like a home Chewbacca! Much nicer than a place put together by a paid outsider.

tanith Sat 07-Mar-20 07:54:48

My GS, a decorator is often contracted to work with interior designers by his customers he says they are a nightmare to work with. They persuade customers to use materials that aren’t suitable and the times he’s had to completely redo rooms where the designers ‘plan’ simply doesn’t work, the designer then trying to put the blame for their poor choice onto the decorator who is carrying out instructions often at huge cost to the customer.
Sorry I’ve gone off on a tangent ? I wouldn’t use one.

M0nica Sat 07-Mar-20 08:11:39

I would not use an interior decorator, my house is my house and has to adapt to my use of it, have my choice of furniture and my choice of colours.

However, I some times think I would like a stylist to walk round the house and tweak it a bit. When I was selling a relative's house, I did a thorough House Doctor job on it, reducing contents and ornaments, moving things around. The Estate Agent was approving and it helped sell the house and a lot of the feedback was complimentary.

However I am too close to my own house but I am sure that there are small tweaks here and there that if made, would make me feel even more comfortable in my own home. My immediate surroundings bathe my peace of mine.

Maggiemaybe Sat 07-Mar-20 08:57:41

I certainly would, given the wherewithal! There are good and bad designers, as in all walks of life, and I’d love to see what some of them would come up with.

Maggiemaybe Sat 07-Mar-20 09:00:51

I don’t think I’d be asking Lawrence Llewelyn Bowen for a quote though, thinking back to those Changing Rooms days. grin

Theoddbird Sat 07-Mar-20 09:09:03

If selling your house it is important to show it as blank canvas that prospective purchasers can imagine their own things in. So yes I can see why a well presented house can sell for more. If you are thinking of selling your house you should remove as much 'stuff' as possible before the valuation...especially walls of family pictures. People have to be able to imagine themselves in the house...

Phloembundle Sat 07-Mar-20 09:09:29

According a survey I read, interior design did not figure in the things you can do to increase the value of your house. Number one is a loft conversion, followed by new kitchen and bathroom. An extension does not apparently increase the value as much as some might believe.

polnan Sat 07-Mar-20 09:10:47

imo you only have to look at the tv programmes... I occasionally comment, what will these people do, the ones who want a house all nicely , pristine... what will they do when the time comes to renew.. re decorate.... seems the lst time buyers are being wooed to only want a property that is already done for them,,

life has changed so much.. of course there are still some people prepared to buy a run down, or a property in need of some tlc... but ....

dragonfly46 Sat 07-Mar-20 09:16:21

We had a designer for our kitchen. We told her what was important eg floor to ceiling fridge and floor to ceiling freezer and an eating area. The result was far better than we could have thought up.