Gransnet forums

House and home

Same energy supplier, cheaper tariff

(8 Posts)
MamaCaz Thu 12-Mar-20 07:26:56

Hi. I want to change my mum to a new, cheaper tariff with her existing supplier (British Gas). The new tariff is only available on compare sites, but the article I learned about this new tariff from says it is available to existing customers.

My question is, do I do this switch exactly the same as I would if switching her to a new company (though all the questions asked/details needed are obviously worded as if changing suppliers)?

I have just filled out the online form to switch her, but then then started wondering if there might be more to it, something that I have overlooked!

MamaCaz Thu 12-Mar-20 07:50:10

Though thinking about it, I suppose the best and simplest thing I can do is contact BG and check with them! smile

Davidhs Thu 12-Mar-20 08:29:58

I tried that with a comparison site and because I was an existing customer they refused to accept the change. Some discussion followed regarding valuing existing customers, they did not budge, so I change supplier.

Madness but that’s the way it is.

Newquay Thu 12-Mar-20 08:33:11

I used Money Saving Expert. Was existing BG customer and, very easily, online, changed to a much cheaper tarif.

pensionpat Thu 12-Mar-20 08:36:57

Be careful of exit fees!

Chewbacca Thu 12-Mar-20 08:37:18

I had exactly the same issue with BG; saw a cheaper tariff with them than the one I was on; and when I tried to swap to it, they refused to complete the transfer saying that it was "for new customers only". So they lost a customer and I went to Bulb who were cheaper, had only one tariff and so no faffing around trying to work out which one is best and I wasn't tied into a contract that would penalise me if I changed my mind.

MotherHubbard Thu 12-Mar-20 09:24:23

I’m with Scottish Power - the new tariff they were offering when my fixed rate ended in Jan was very high. I rang them to see if there was a lower tariff available and was advised there was but I had to get it myself on-line through any comparison web site. I went on line and found the much cheaper tariff - when applying was asked if I was already a customer and if so to enter my account number - transfer very straight forward and done within three days(plus free cinema tickets for a year from the meerkats ?).

MamaCaz Thu 12-Mar-20 09:24:54

Well, they've told me via web chat that existing customers can transfer, and as I thought, there are no penalties as she will still be with them, so I've set it in motion. Fingers crossed!

She will be very happy not to have to change supplier and risk needing yet another new meter.