Gransnet forums

House and home

wondering if to change everything.

(19 Posts)
travelsafar Thu 12-Mar-20 14:49:55

We are currently decorating our kitchen and while out looking for nessary items i was looking at new cushions, bathroom towels etc and wondering if to throw out all we currently have and update to a new colour and something more fashionable. Part of me wants to and the other part says there is nothing wrong with what you have.....hmm

Shinyredcar Thu 12-Mar-20 15:15:53

Hurray, travelsafar, we all need to ask ourself those questions! The world can't afford the current emphasis on 'new' and what is the latest fashion. One positive aspect of the pandemic is that it may concentrate our thoughts on what really matters in life.

Please don't throw out anything just for the sake of it. Resources are scarce and precious. And you loved it once. You wouldn't change your partner or your pet because they don't look like the latest film star or the fashionable breed of dog or cat!

Maybe add one or two new contrasting towels in the bathroom, but keep the present ones for a change again, later. A bright new cushion or two may be fine, but not a new sofa! A lift to the spirit by changing something can be great, but perhaps move things round rather than replacing them.

Perhaps you could do a swap with a friend or family member who is fancying a change of scenery, too? If you do indulge in the impulse to change, the charity shops or recycling centre would be pleased to have what you are tired of.

janeainsworth Thu 12-Mar-20 15:19:22

I think it depends what you do with your old stuff.
If you just bin it, that’s wasteful.
But if you can put it in one of those charity bags (we get at least one a week) so that it would be re-used or repurposed, I wouldn’t feel bad.

Teetime Thu 12-Mar-20 15:19:34

Well I take the opposite view. I think some new things may give you a post winter boost, benefit someone else if you give your current things to a charity shop and a boost to you local shops perhaps if you buy locally. I may be moving house soon and will certainly be buying as many new things as I can afford.

MissAdventure Thu 12-Mar-20 15:19:36

As long as you donate the things you have, I would say go for it.
A change is as good as a rest, and if you give away your unwanted things, you'll be benefiting someone else into the bargain. smile

Oopsadaisy3 Thu 12-Mar-20 16:11:55

Please only donate things that are ‘as new’ otherwise charity shops will put it all in their skip, they DO NOT separate it into recycled or rubbish, it all goes to landfill. The odd cushion cover might make it into the ‘rag’ bin, but the collectors of rags are now very savvy and won’t take damaged stuff as they can’t resell it.

Recycle, reuse, repurpose.

We have to rethink our attitude to buying new things just because we can.

glammanana Thu 12-Mar-20 16:28:30

I would go and buy new ones and get yourself updated I love an excuse to buy soft furnishings,I don't however throw items away but store them in the loft just in case I change my mind back, which reminds me I must get my grandson to check the loft for me smile

M0nica Thu 12-Mar-20 17:20:56

Some times, it takes very little to improve a room. A few months ago we replaced all the wall lights in our living room. The room is low and heavily beamed so no ceiling lights.

The existing lights dated back to the mid-1960s, when the house was 'restored', and were traditional brass Georgian period light fittings. The replacements are nothing exciting, just a matt brass in a more modern design. The difference it has made to the room is quite unbelievable. More modern and they seem to unite everything else.

The 60 year old light fittings went to the local auction sale and we got £10 for them.

Katyj Thu 12-Mar-20 17:28:37

I would have a change,it’s as good as a rest so they say. If the old ones are still in good condition save them then you can ring the changes, if not find them a good home. Happy shopping.

craftyone Sat 14-Mar-20 17:58:57

I have dyed towels very successfully. Cushions and curtains could be changed by adding some sort of bright trim. I would not change for the sake of it

Calendargirl Sat 14-Mar-20 18:47:14

Ooopsadaisy3

I take rags (anything too worn or shabby not suitable for charity) to our Sue Ryder shop, where they always seem happy to accept it for their ragman. Do you mean the ragman doesn’t necessarily take everything? I assumed rags were, just rags, I always make sure they are clean.

paddyanne Sat 14-Mar-20 19:09:22

I change things regularly ,I love a nice new room.Everything is passed on,whoever gets the furniture gets the matching curtains and cushions the only things we haven't changed in 20 years is our HiFi and a small chinese cabinet that our Buddha lives on .Everything else goes .

MissAdventure Sat 14-Mar-20 20:48:25

Do you already have a new style in mind, paddy, when you're due a change?

Hetty58 Sat 14-Mar-20 20:57:20

I went to the charity shop for towels as I keep quite a few in the porch for the dog (it's muddy around here). The £1 large bag I was given had some old ones and a brand new packaged set of lime green ones.

The assistant said that nobody else wanted them and she thought somebody had changed their mind about the colour. They're lovely - the dog didn't get them!

Hetty58 Sat 14-Mar-20 21:09:02

I have vast collections of cushion covers, towels and bedding, just stored as summer and winter versions.

I swap them around in different combinations in various rooms. If I buy new ones now - I take some older ones to the charity shop. I'd never replace them all at once, though!

MissAdventure Sat 14-Mar-20 21:50:54

I'm a bit the same with cushion covers.
Sometimes I find ones from long ago and decide I like them enough to use them again.

NotSpaghetti Sun 15-Mar-20 07:46:33

Please don't use the charity bags that come through the door if you really want to help a charity!

The ones that arrive unsolicited are commercial entities that give the charity a nominal sum - the one I researched gave £5 per ton. The reason the charities agree to using their name is apparently that it's £5 more than they would have had otherwise.

Please take your charity items to a charity shop instead.

TrendyNannie6 Sat 06-Jun-20 11:41:02

I love to change things in our home, just give the other bits n pieces to anyone that wants them, change is good as a rest as the saying goes

HAZBEEN Sat 06-Jun-20 15:42:28

I try to use whenever possible if I have good items that are no longer needed. Its not just for "big" items either, people post allsorts from a book to a car engine! Very often someone can make use of the stuff. Clothes I tend to give to a charity shop, the problem with that being when I go to donate I usually come out with more stuff!