Gransnet forums

House and home

Help calm me, house buying and selling stress. Part 4

(1001 Posts)
craftyone Sun 15-Mar-20 12:56:00

Links to the first three threads

www.gransnet.com/forums/house_and_home/1271200-Help-calm-me-house-buying-and-selling-stress-Part-3

thread number 4

Franbern Sat 25-Apr-20 15:52:06

Restrictions will be lifted slowly. Yes, likely to be upsurge of cases as around 80% will get this. However for the overwhelming majority it will be quite mild. Several of my daughters teams have already had this (key workers = tested and confirmed), only needed a short while of work, and not terribly ill.
As the curve has been flattened there should be hospital and even Intensive Care facilities for those who are unfortunate enough to require them..
I am not willing to stay locked away - so I will take my chance.
My sister in law phoned me and we had a lovely long chat - I even managed to make her laugh out loud with telling her about my daughter giving her daughter a 'detention!
All her immediate family are now in Wales with her ready for the cremation next week. Then they will all go home and she and her husband will return to their house in Suffolk,
I have told her I will definitely be making arrangements to visit her there for a few days within the next three months - a promise I intend to keep. She will need that = the first few weeks everybody keeps in touch and gathers around, then people continue with their own lives, and you are left feeling very desolate and alone. It was about three months after my sons death, that finally had a total breakdown one days and jumped up and down and screamed and shouted and pummelled a table.
I have been down to the Promenade again today and to the park. My daughter and two g.children were in the park when I got there and it was so lovely just having a chat with them.
I had a bad night past night - no particular reason, at 5.30 this morning I stepped out on the balcony, everything was so fresh and peaceful;
Making scones (english ones - not aussie ones) tomorrow morning
Many years ago I had some jigsaw puzzles and found them very addictive. At the time I was doing two jobs, and found that sitting up late into the night just to do another two or three pieces was not really a good idea. I packed them all away and when I moved I gave them all to charity shops, thinking that if I ever got back into them I could easily go to local charity shops. Really feel like doing these, will take some of my spare time - but no charity shops open. I put in appeal on my local neighbourhood fb site, and people have offered these to me and even offered to drop them off. So many people are so kind.

SueH49 Sat 25-Apr-20 13:05:36

Definitely a project there for someone Grammaretto.
What a stunning location. We have been there done that so this time we want it all done. Having said that we do realize we may need to do some updating.

craftyone Sat 25-Apr-20 13:01:14

strange but I am very tired too, could easily doze off in my chair. All I have done is shower and change, make a cake, plant a few seedlings, wash up the dishes and 20 minutes of quiet spinning. Tiredness has come over me so quickly.

Be very careful if restrictions are loosened. 80% of us will get covid at some time, the beds need re-filling and then onto wave 2. Its also about managing the hospital facilities and uk cannot have a start/stop situation. Its like managing sluice flow from a dam

Grammaretto Sat 25-Apr-20 11:42:01

Hello everyone. I know people say it's a lovely day so you must feel happy but that isn't necessarily true. In fact gorgeous weather can sometimes accentuate loneliness.
However I did have a nice day yesterday and was so glad to be able to enjoy the sun in the garden. We managed to get the huge petrol mower to start, so quickly cut the grass. I chickened out of leaving it to its own devices though I have left a section for a meadow.

Small victories!

Horrible people those Shandy hugs for you. I doubt they'll be back. Let's hope not.

Franbern So nice about the flowers and being able to talk to your kind neighbours.

SueH49 I would go for the operation if it's still being offered. Hospitals are pretty safe places now despite the scary stories. There are safeguards in place.

Houses for you and for for Shandy: Yes the perfect one is bound to pop up. I have this subscription to Which magazine and I was curious that there are many Best Buys
Ofcourse not everyone is looking for the same thing.

I was able to resist sending a gorgeous ruin to my DD. I don't think she would appreciate that at this particular stage. I'll send it here instead.

www.rightmove.co.uk/commercial-property-for-sale/property-54534309.html

loopyloo Sat 25-Apr-20 10:58:14

Whiff, when you say a pie filling was it a meat pie ?

Whiff Sat 25-Apr-20 10:44:26

Franbern how are you today? That was lovely of your neighbour. Did the Hedgehog arrive safely?

Shandy57 at least you have a firm date to aim for. In the meantime don't over do it. Have you started to look at properties?

Ellianne those look yummy.

Feeling very tired today . Don't know why. Slept well. Didn't wake until 7.20. Got a pie filling on the go then had breakfast. Felt tired so had a lie down on the settee until it was cooked. Don't know if I' m out of sorts. It's cooked now so having a drink then into the garden. Can't waste the day.

Hope everyone has a good day .

Ellianne Sat 25-Apr-20 10:29:16

Morning coffee time.

SueH49 Sat 25-Apr-20 07:22:27

Hello All,

Another week flown by. It never ceases to amaze me just how quickly the days go by. It's not as though I am flat out doing things, far from.
Last Sunday was my Mum's 98th birthday. It was really sad not being able to be with her but fortunately she understands that is the situation and the staff at her care facility went out of their way to make it a special day for her. We are so lucky that she is as mentally capable as she is and also that she has always accepted that care is the only place for her to be.

I am very much missing not being able to do my twice weekly hydrotherapy sessions and my body is really suffering. My knee which should have been replaced 3 years ago is almost beyond bearable and walking painful. I cannot stand for long and of course sitting is not good for anything but it is what I am doing for most of the day. The surgeon who did my hip replacement said in January that he would look at it in October but as it is now I cannot wait that long. Having had the blood clots after my hip op makes further surgery much more of a risk. I'm not sure this is the right time to be undertaking surgery. On the other hand recovery during this time would be better than recovery when things are back to normal.

I've been trawling the internet looking for properties but there are none to be found. Simply nothing coming onto the market that is what we are looking for and not much else either. I suppose it is just a matter of time before there is more appearing and at this stage it is difficult to look at anything. We can only keep our eyes and ears peeled and be ready to act when something pops up.

Our CV related figures are very promising at this time and there are hints that some of our restrictions may be lifted in a few weeks. I have no doubt that the Government is very much aware of the toll being taken on many people by the measures at the moment. the lack of social interaction is something most people are struggling with.

Franbern, sorry to hear about your nephew. Hard at anytime but especially now when you are so restricted in what you can do and where you can go.

Shandy57 Fri 24-Apr-20 14:17:35

Hugs to all, we are all doing so well. I'm glad you are feeling a little more settled Franbern, you have been going through the mill this year. Big hugs to you specially.

I've just come back from the station to a cut and smooth lumpy bumpy lawn, I'm so lucky! I also got a bottle of wine from another neighbour who asked if I had a spare table, I was glad to offer it, won't be doing any entertaining for some time.

My solicitor has just written back with news about completion, it appears I was right about 25 May so I am relieved. He said we could push for earlier, but I said I'd like to stick to the original date.

I've got to unpack the car now and go to the beach. I think I might call it a day too, I got too hot. There were out of area people there yesterday, the car park is barricaded, but they parked on the grass. I said they shouldn't park there as the coastguard would ask them to move and possibly fine them and the man shouted 'there's not a sign'. I just said all the locals know and don't need a sign. They did drive off and I continued pushing my dog along in the pram - next thing they came back and must have been doing eighty miles an hour. Idiot people.

craftyone Fri 24-Apr-20 13:02:45

Ahhh Franbern, people can be so kind and thoughtful

Franbern Fri 24-Apr-20 12:42:53

Had a long telephone chat with my friend in Essex whose hubbie died from the virus, which he contracted whilst he was in hospital prior to the lockdown. ALthough he was at home for nearly a week before it got so bad he needed hospitilisation, amazingly she did not catch it. She is very disabled, and is obviously finding life difficult at all levels at present.
Yesterday, when I was putting out the rubbish (our collections are on Friday), one of the Flats cttee members spoke to me, and saw how upset I was, so close to tears nearly all of the time.
My front door bell rang this morning, and there was a lovely bunch of roses for me from her to cheer me up. Isn' that lovely. They most certainly have done so. I have written her a Thank You card and will drop it in her letterbox at the entrance to the flats when I go out to the park shortly.

craftyone Fri 24-Apr-20 10:44:44

It sounds as though a bit of worry has left you Franbern, good, now you can read and relax without your mind taking over and worrisome thoughts slipping in, like they do

I have almost finished `work` well honestly it was so easy and now even the garage is hoovered and plants sprayed with diluted seaweed. The last of a big wash is going out soon and I am considering sitting outside and spinning. Haven`t used my wheel for a couple of months and I have sheeps wool to finish. I am making 3 ply yarn, fine yarn and 3 pky is stronger and rounder, 3 yarns twisted into one. I make the singles on bobbins, let the bobbins sit as long as possible, then I ply 3 of these singles together but you have to spin the opposite way

I think I will see if I can get a comfy cushion for my bench. I wish I had kept my outdoor cushions, oh well

Ellianne Fri 24-Apr-20 10:23:43

Good morning. Glad everyone is reporting in well. Where is the poster who was moving, living in a caravan with a pregnant dog about to deliver?
crafty L'Occitane is my favourite too for everyday use and you're right the shower scents last all day. I like verveine, I think that's verbena in English.
Franbern it's good to hear Redbridge is coming up trumps for your daughter. We always found services in the borough better than neighbouring Epping Council who never made things easy. Your 16 year old GD is very focused, good for her. My 7 year old GD is bright enough to understand something is going on but also bright enough throw sulks when it comes to school work. She is just that little bit too young to want to do it for herself and without the teacher's input and praise it is quite a challenge for her parents. At the moment welfare is more important for the younger ones.
Don't talk about septic tanks! We had 3 on our property in France and every summer when guests came to stay we had to explain the workings. Certainly no bleach, it upsets the levels of bacteria needed. If you have a problem throw a few pints of beer down the loo because the tank needs yeast to ferment. We used to buy little powder sachets which did the job. I could write a book about blockages, smells, and emptying the wretched things!
Lovely rose Whiff. I am no great gardener but my roses grew exceptionally well in France. Where does your friend live? I follow Escape to the Château DIY every afternoon and do feel sorry for those poor people who have set up beautiful places only to miss out on this year's season.
Off to blitz the kitchen today.

Franbern Fri 24-Apr-20 09:34:17

A long phone call from daughter in London yesterday, late afternoon. Also met up (sort off) with my daughter here in the park (more than 2 metres apart all the time), but someone to talk to.
Both made me feel so much better and I slept well and feel back to normal today.
Pleased that the system has finally kicked in for daughter in London who is now 'Shielded'. She has finally got her email from Sainsbury's and now has no problem with getting easy delivery slots from them. First one this coming Saturday. She has been a Sainsbury's on'line shopper for several years, so this is fine for her.
In the meantime she has also been sent two food parcels - neither of which she needs nor will use. She says they were very '70's!! Her teenage daughter was fascinated with the Corned Beef can (complete with key). All the items in these food parcels will be collected from her front gate by one of her work colleagues - and used to help the homeless people they support.
Also very good support from her local Authority (L.B. Waltham Forest) - phone call to ask if she needs any assistance with any child living with her under age of 18, and does she need support via telephone for herself, or anything else. She says same support is available for Shielded people in the borough in which she works (LB Redbridge), sounds very good. She has always refused to have anyone come in to help with cleaning.......much to my annoyance as she works hard and long hours. So, is quite used to doing her own and her own gardening. Has always cooked all meals from scratch.
In her garage she has an exercise machine, so is able to continue using that regularly and also continues with her thrice weekly boot camp via on-line.
Fortunately, she does not need any extra help -has long had arrangement for prescriptions to be delivered, and is still working from home full time, so no financial problems either.
Her Line Manager has insisted that she takes some time off with the death of her cousin, ()she was reluctant as loads of work, and needed things to keep her occupued, but she agreed to just do half days the remain of this week, so, yesterday and today she is only working in the mornings and being able to enjoy the sunshine in her lovely garden in the afternoons.
She did make me laugh when she told me that with the end of the school Easter holidays she was insistent that her Year 11 daughter got back to proper times and school work. On Monday, the first day, her daughter had still not started school work at 11.00 am, so my daughter gave her a 'detention' saying that she would then have to continue working past the normal 3 pm to make up for it. My g.daughter was a little stroppy - and asked how she could be made to do that 'detention' - it was soon made clear that at 16. years old, her Mum had plenty of control over her. She did the detention and is now back into her school work times of 9.00 am - 3 pm each day.
Her school is being pretty strict and still emailing parents if work is not being handed in on time. Several of her school friends contacted her to say their parents had received such an email. Fortunately, my daughter did not, so, obviously, her regime is working
My G.daughter wants to do a Social work degree as from September 2021, and does know the pretty high grades she will need to get for a place.
The Hotel Chocolat pressie I sent to my daughter arrived, and she was surprised and delighted with it.
In the park, I found that I needed, once again, to talk about my lovely son who had died over 18 years ago. Think the death of my sister-in-law's son brought it all back to me. Got that out of my system. When he died, for most of that first year that was all I wanted to talk about - him....it was one of the reasons I refused any sort of counselling, I only wanted to talk to people who had known him.
My nephews cremation has been arranged for next Tuesday - it is being streamed (they have been permitted ten people there). Do not think I will watch that. My Sister-in-law at present says she does not want to speak to anyone, sent me a message - but will do so when she is back home at the end of next week.
Another lovely day. More outdoor faux flowers arrived yesrerday for my balcony, which is looking very pretty and I love sitting there in the sun.

Shandy57 Fri 24-Apr-20 09:09:13

Morning all, another lovely sunny day. I seem to get hayfever now, very sniffly but I don't get sore eyes luckily.

Lovely rose Grammaretto. My Mum used to love red roses.

I like the thought of you sailing along the prom Franbern. You've not mentioned any pain in your head/neck again, I'm glad it stopped. I've got something happening to my neck, it is making a loud cracking noise. My mother always said I didn't have my head screwed on right! Doesn't hurt, luckily.

Enjoy your gardening Whiff, ha ha 'black thumbs', never heard that expression before! I'm glad you don't have grass to cut, the big lawn at the cottage is really lumpy bumpy and now the rental mower is working, I have to add that to my jobs list.

Bit awkward here about washing craftyone. Apparently, since my arrival, the septic tank has started to smell - or 'Whiff'! smile I was talking to the person who owns the majority of the land, and she asked if I was aware not to use bleach etc ... then mentioned a neighbour who did a lot of washing. How awkward, I'm saying nothing. All five cottages drain to a tank on her land. I don't think my neighbour at the station used ecofriendly washing powder or cleaning products, I was surprised when he said the tank needed emptying again last October. I use ecover for everything, but have been guilty of occasionally using a dash of bleach down the loo.

Day one of week 2 of our extended lockdown. I met someone at the beach yesterday who recommended another removal company, the young couple who moved out of here used them too. I phoned them for a quote when I got home. Thing is all of them will have a back log, won't they. I think it will end up on the lawn at the front, if the buyer doesn't want it. As he wanted a pound of flesh, I anticipate he'll agree to take it.

I got stuck at the house yesterday because I found the Christmas wrapping paper, got stumped on where to store it here, got confuddled and didn't have the energy to pile up a collection. I've got to do the hall cupboard which is full to the brim, lucky I'd taken the ladder. I'm going to do that this morning. Unfortunately this week's rubbish collection was recycling and I've already filled my landfill bins.

Have a good day all, love to you all xx

craftyone Fri 24-Apr-20 07:45:54

what a beautiful rose grammaretto.

Whiff I know exactly where you are coming from re the satisfaction, I need that feel good factor every day, it sets me up. I am an optimistic person by nature and don`t want to be ground down, best way is by just getting on in this restricted way of living and not listening to the news. One day it will all become a memory and I comply because I want to live to tell the tale

DD has been summoned back to work next week, great big manufacturing in wales and other companies have summoned people back next week. Life is starting to crank up again for those not at risk or vulnerable. This will enable more cases to re-generate but if we keep out of harms way ( fingers crossed) little by little the virus will find no new hosts and will graduallly weaken and die out. Amazing to think that this virus has no brain or organs and is only a very tiny group of proteins

I hope that small shops and garden centres can open very soon

It is going to be another beautiful day and I will shortly have a full washing line. No garden work today, purely RnR. I already had my shower and washed my hair so am feeling as fresh as a daisy. I am loving my walk in electric shower again, the underground water warms up and enables the pressure to be higher, gas was better in winter. I love the smell of l`occitane almond shower, it lingers all day long

Today I will vac my floors and will quickly wash with my steam mop, none of that is hard and if I wiggle when I walk it will use up more calories

Whiff Fri 24-Apr-20 06:57:33

Morning all. Friday again. Don't know where the week goes. Have you heard Trump's nutty idea to injection disinfectant into the body to kill Covid. Want a bet some stupid idiot will either do it to themself or someone else.

Well my plan for today is to make some soup and then back into the garden. Have a go to see if I can get the roots out of those bushes I cut down yesterday. Also move a bush in the back to a better position as I think its growth is being stunted where it is. Look at me sounding like a gardener. My husband would laugh his socks off. He always said I had black thumbs. Must admit it's giving me immense satisfaction being able to have a go myself. I ordered a water butt and some climbers support from Aldi. Don't like using tap water on the garden . My old neighbour was a nut job he used to water his lawn all the time even when we had to be careful with water during really hot summers. He even watered it when it rained. It was his pride and joy. Glad my lawn is artificial. No cutting but the best thing is it's flat less chance of me falling over . My old lawns where all higgledy piggledy and had to be very careful as I fell a couple of times. Not paying attention to where I was walking.

Better get into the shower and get cracking.

Have a good day everyone and hope you and all your families stay safe.

Grammaretto Thu 23-Apr-20 18:02:37

I heard the news too crafty wish I hadn't. I think it is enough to take a day at a time and sunny days like this are a joy.

I am fussy about my beaches. I was spoiled growing up in New Zealand. I like to have the beach to myself!
We try to get to one of the Scottish islands once a year and you can often find a deserted beach.

My delivery girls came into the garden for a cup of tea and cake and we chatted - several yards apart. They have both been incredibly busy and useful but one was telling me how the Samaritans are busier than ever, which is sad.
Well done on your video Whiff I don't think I could do that. My French friend sent me a rose today.

craftyone Thu 23-Apr-20 17:53:12

There are many quicksands on weston beach, you just have to google it, the coastguard have been called out many times

So much for an afternoon rest. One of my comfrey, in a row, looked much smaller than the others, yes same as yesterday, I dug it out and the soil below was sodden, sticky and compacted. So I have been digging and using my heavy crowbar, I had to ask the builders to put the final massive stone into their skip, it must have weighed 30kg and 15 is really my carrying limit. Besides that huge rock, I ended up with 6 buckets of horrible rubble and gunk

Has anyone been shopping at the sainsbury elderly hour at 8am on a friday? would you say that friday is busier than monday?

I know I am going to suffer tonight, going to pre-empt it with paracetamol

Whiff I like Kirstie and her crafting shows, I think I will binge watch in the day. I am not good to anyone in the evening, far too shattered, as you know gardening does take it out of you. I am going to be in bed by 9 tonight, no point dozing in my chair

Whiff Thu 23-Apr-20 16:10:20

Craftyone you lasted longer than me for sewing bee. Fell asleep after 10mins. I had a 2 hour nap on the afternoon after my fight with that plant. I watched it this afternoon plus binge watching Kristy's first 3 shows.

Worked on the front garden this morning as had washing drying in the back. And knowing me would have got dirt over clean washing or decapitate myself on the line. Made my first video on my phone today to show my friend in the Midlands what I have been doing. Should say second attempt. First attempt all I could hear was me heavy breathing and mutterings.

Franbern hope you have a better day tomorrow.

Franbern Thu 23-Apr-20 13:59:07

I am having a bad day today - obvious of course, and at my age I really feel that I am not going to able to continue like for for much longer.
One of the things I really had been looking forward to in my move to WsM was in the good weather a gentle trundle along the wide Promenade. Did that this afternoon, it was lovely, lots of people on the beach, mainly people giving their dogs a good run, also some children. As it is such a very large beach area, lots and lots of sand, plenty of room for them all without getting close.
Craftyone you made me laugh with your comment about the 'dangers' of WsM beaches. Not so.....The tide does go out a long way, and there are always the few, silly stupid (often drunk) people who thing that any warning sign or flag does NOT apply to them. Even most of them do not get into any real difficulties. The numbers of people who ever need rescuing here is extremely low and comparative to most other seaside resorts.
But the miles of golden beaches are enjoyed, usually, by so very many people. Obviously, only locals at the present. Lovely to watch the dogs having so much fun. At present all the beaches are open to dogs, as from 1st May until end of summer some are closed, but still plenty open.
The Promenade was very empty - seems strange just to be able cross the wide road there so easily.
Gorgeous sunshine, very peaceful. Definitely has done me some good - I am more relaxed. Do like living' beside the sea'
When I got back I moved car from car park back into my garage to await next Wednesdays supermarket run.

Shandy57 Thu 23-Apr-20 13:08:05

should have said there was nothing wrong with the lawnmower, neighbour checked it, I wasn't pressing the button hard enough

Shandy57 Thu 23-Apr-20 13:06:37

A year craftyone? I haven't heard the news today, just back from sledging. I want cherries now you've mentioned stones, I love the pica cherries that are due soon. Enjoy your leeks.

I've just mown the grass for the first time in my life, without the box on, as it's a bit wet. Very satisfying!

craftyone Thu 23-Apr-20 11:57:17

happy thursday. I am sorry that I listened to news this morning, at least 12 months more of this and for the first time it got to me but hey ho, if we can stay alive then we should have a few years afterwards, we will all letting our hair down good and proper at the right time

A lot done today, cycling, eating, stone picking and weeding which ends up making aches, so I have stopped. I am braising leeks again today, absolutely lovely to eat. Just a bit of stock, sliced lengthways and braised for 20 minutes.

I am going to watch sewing bee later, missed the second half after nodding off

Shandy57 Thu 23-Apr-20 10:13:51

Morning all, I'm so lucky, another sunny day here. Still in my dressing gown, I'm trying to relax more, I've now done enough to finish packing by the end of our second lockdown in two weeks - I think. I have a big pile to collect this morning, then I'm taking my dog to the beach, I couldn't face it last night. I will leave him back in the cottage while I prepare tomorrow's pile. Franbern, I have made an effort to seriously declutter, I have been a hoarder and am doing charity shop boxes to donate later smile

I'm only going up the ladder to read the meter this morning Whiff, the cupboard is so crammed with coats even if I fell I'd be OK. Definitely carrying my phone. I'm going to leave all the pictures until last. I've organised the kitchen here so I have space for them, as well as my rugs.

I was a bit upset yesterday, my neighbour is thoughtless. I allowed them to keep their huge metal pump in my north courtyard for years - about six months ago I realised it was missing. I had had so many viewings life was a whirl, and had no idea when it had gone, and rushed round to apologise. I saw him yesterday and apologised about it again, it belonged to his partner's late father - and he said they had it, he'd forgotten to tell me. I had felt so guilty about it.

My new neighbours have offered to do my grass as the rental lawnmower is broken, so things are looking up!

Off to get dressed and 'sledging', have a good day! smile

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion