Gransnet forums

House and home

Help calm me, house buying and selling stress. Part 3

(996 Posts)
craftyone Mon 30-Dec-19 14:38:59

Links to the first and second threads

www.gransnet.com/forums/house_and_home/1266771-Help-calm-me-house-buying-and-selling-stress-part-2

thread number 3

Whiff Mon 30-Dec-19 14:48:09

Bet you never thought your thread would be this popular. Love being on it. Long may it reigh. ?

craftyone Mon 30-Dec-19 14:51:07

I love it too whiff smile

A repeat from post 997 on thread 2

we are almost 1000 posts in chapter 2 so I have started chapter 3. Amazed it has gone on so long and I hope we get more sellers/buyers/movers/lookers coming on here. Warm welcome and lots of help will come your way

Dottygran59 Mon 30-Dec-19 15:29:55

Yay - happy new thread

Framilode Mon 30-Dec-19 15:53:29

Oh, good a new thread. I'm hoping for happy endings on this one.

Dottygran59 Mon 30-Dec-19 18:39:25

Indeed Framilode. Happy endings and new beginnings

loopyloo Tue 31-Dec-19 07:58:21

Yes indeed. We moved last year. Didn't have to buy or sell anything but was still a big change but much better for us.
Looking forward to 2020 and best wishes to all of you.

Grammaretto Tue 31-Dec-19 08:05:20

Here's to successful moves in 2020.
smile

mosaicwarts Tue 31-Dec-19 08:54:29

Wishing everyone a peaceful and healthy 2020, start of a new decade! No new year resolutions here, so glad I don't smoke or drink anymore!

Cheers!

Dottygran59 Tue 31-Dec-19 18:19:46

Oh well I do both, no hope for me lol. This next decade is the one in which I will retire [if I last that long given my affore mentioned life of debauchery]. Next year MW WILL sell her house, even if we have to raffle the bugger, and we shall keep this wonderful thread going cos we is all mates now and I need my daily fix. Actually I can’t be THAT debauched because I have had 2 glasses of Prosecco and am a bit tiddly and certainly won’t be up at midnight, so, my good virtual friends I will wish you all a very happy new year xxxx

Whiff Tue 31-Dec-19 18:59:59

Dottygran59 Always love your posts you make me chuckle.

Happy New year to one and all. Hope we all have a happy and successful 2020. And everyone moves into their new homes. Good night dear friends. X

Ellianne Tue 31-Dec-19 19:27:53

Happy New Year from another grateful member of this ongoing thread.
I think 2020 will see more properties come on the market. My hope is that more young people can get on the property ladder.
We are so happy in our new home. Having downsized from a large 4 bed house in London to a 2 bed bungalow I never expected to entertain 17 people on Christmas Eve quite comfortably.
Good luck to all you future movers. This thread is brilliant for advice and you can join anytime along the process, or before or after, as every one is very helpful and non judgmental.

GrandmaMoira Tue 31-Dec-19 20:25:14

Happy New Year to all movers here and hope it continues helping and supporting everyone.

Dottygran59 Tue 31-Dec-19 21:04:35

Oh well you are a better woman than me Elaine. I’m still in the 4 bed and only had 13 and 4 of those were kids and I nearly had a nervous breakdown! Hmm. Possibly the 4 kids contributed to my condition as all 4 wanted to sit next to me at the table, and one insisted on driving his new remote control car in circles as I was trying to carve. Dear God. Going to Wetherspoons next year

Ellianne Tue 31-Dec-19 22:56:37

To be fair, Dotty, 5 of our 17 were kids and there was only one punch up! I actually found it easier living in a bungalow than the house because we could keep an eye on everyone like when all the kids were playing on the bunk beds and building dens underneath. Even the dog and 3 cats just ambled around too. I would advise people not to worry about downsizing, it has certainly made our lives far easier and more streamlined.
I agree remote controlled toys are a nuisance. I nearly got tripped up on several occasions.

Auntieflo Tue 31-Dec-19 23:24:24

Happy New Year, to all those contributing to this thread.

I am not contemplating moving, at the moment, but have thoroughly enjoyed reading about all your exploits, the gladness and the let downs.
It seems as though many of you have made friends and received support when it was needed.
Long may you continue, and I wish the very best of luck to Mosaicwarts in 2020.

Daisyboots Tue 31-Dec-19 23:41:34

I discovered Part 2 yesterday and spent the evening catching up on the last 6 pages. What a lovely thread it is with everyone so caring. This will be my go to thread in the new year even though I shall not be moving home. Happy New Year everyone and I do hope your house sale is sorted out very soon MW

craftyone Wed 01-Jan-20 08:13:26

oooh happy new year everyone, it is so lovely to see new people on here, a big welcome

I had an unexpected free fireworks display last night, my first new years eve here. grin I was in bed but not sleeping and lo and behold the fireworks started. It must have been pub organised, was about two rows of houses away and was awesome and gladdened the heart. I felt like a child with my nose pressed to the window. What a lovely start!!

Naturally I had to have the world service on after that, I was too `high` to sleep, then I shot awake again when they started to discuss aerotoxic cabin air on planes, how it has been hidden and the long term life changing effects. I never knew that air into plane cabins comes via the engine exhausts and that oil seals can be less than 100%. They say that the toxicity is hard to pin down but it ranges from a slight strange smell to outright fumes. Cabin crew have been getting brain tumours and some have now to use wheelchairs. I am glad I don`t fly

Grammaretto Wed 01-Jan-20 08:36:26

Wishing everyone here a Happy New Year!! New decade even.
I too have enjoyed reading about the struggles and joys of moving house. The help and kindness has shone through.
Our DD's unfortunate situation is our main focus at present and downsizing seems a distant dream.
To know I can tap into your collective experience, wisdom and knowledge is empowering. Thanks .smile

Dottygran59 Wed 01-Jan-20 10:05:41

Happy New Decade!!!! Well done crafty staying up for the fireworks. I say I will every year and never do. I hear them though, it’s hard not to it sounds like Beirut round here lol.

Gramertto, sorry your DD’s situation is a worry for you, we think that when they leave home that all that will stop, but the worries get bigger and more expensive. How about clearing out 2 rooms, get MK in for a bit, fit your mini kitchen and you and Mr G having a room each. Kitchen in yours of course, men can not be trusted. DD’s mob could have the rest of the house and you can live in peace in your bed sit and invite Mr G in for beans on toast occasionally. It’ll be a bit like dating.

Beautiful day here, sun streaming through the windows showing every smear, sigh. Going to see MIL soon, our last surviving parent. Whilever she remains I can kid myself that I am still young, which of course I am compared to her.

Lovely to see new posters. Welcome. And those yet to post, lurk yee no longer!! This thread has evolved, it’s about support and friendship and everyone on it is bloody lovely, so come and join us

Largolass Wed 01-Jan-20 10:09:24

Happy New Year to everyone on this lovely friendly thread.

We downsized last year from a large detached house with garden in a small village to a modern apartment in a nearby town. Yes it was stressful at times but so worth it to be able to have shops etc; only a short walk away. Hang on in there MW!!

mosaicwarts Wed 01-Jan-20 10:51:31

Happy New Year everyone, pinch and a punch! We had fireworks here too, my dog was terrified, he eventually settled at the side of my bed.

I didn't wake up until 10.20 this morning, ridiculously late for me to start the new year! Car is still frozen solid.

Managed to take my 9 foot xmas tree down yesterday, my last ever real tree, Henry the hoover nearly exploded hoovering up the needles. I got in a temper and cut the lights off in the end, couldn't get them off they were so tangled. Chopping it in half and taking to be chipped tomorrow.

I'm wishing the week away with the damp/timber report looming on the 8th. Will it be bad, who knows, the floors are creaking madly now and I can hear the central heating pipes when I walk on the landing. My daughter said they've always sounded like that, it is just being alone and I notice absolutely everything now.

Not sure what to do with my day as usual, I'll have a think about it on the beach with all the revellers! Enjoy yours!

Jane10 Wed 01-Jan-20 11:19:04

MW I hope beyond hope that you move out of this sad worrying situation you are in and this time next year you'll be happily settled elsewhere.
Although we technically downsized from our family home to a flat, the actual flat is bigger and has much more storage than our old house. We still almost can't believe how happy we are here. It's warm, has a lift, a lovely garden we don't have to care for and great access to buses. I don't have to drive much any more. We're right next to some woodland and I meet lots of friendly dog walkers when out and about. Yes, moving is an awful upheaval but the calm after the storm of it all seems miraculous even after a few years.
Tip:- 60s flats are more spacious than later ones and not very popular. There are bargains to be had. Kirsty and Phil say so too!

SueH49 Wed 01-Jan-20 11:38:19

Happy New Year to All, I hope 2020 is good to everyone.

We are so fortunate in our area not to be experiencing the horrendous fires that other parts of the country are however, we still have a a lot of summer to go and the worst of the heat and summer weather is yet to come. My heart goes out to those who have lost their homes and loved ones.

Our house hunting continues to be very frustrating. It seems the house is too big or the land too small. While we still have time to find something before we have to be out of our current place time is ticking. We will probably need to rent before we buy. Would prefer not to do a double move but I guess it is better than rushing into something that is not quite right. A nice aside - our DS and DIL told our DGS (3 & 5) that Grandma and Grandpa were going to move to another house. Their response was "Will we still be able to stay with them". I thought it was nice.

MW my dog used to freak out at the fireworks - or thunder - now I give her a dose of scullcap and valerian - Dorwest Herbs. I bought some last time I was in the UK but have just about run out and having trouble getting more.

Whiff Wed 01-Jan-20 11:48:23

Happy New year everyone. Mosaciwarts try not to dread what is to come. I know that is not easy. What helped me before and since moving is setting myself a plan of action. Usually do it in bed when I wake of a morning. Today's plan was make soup and take down tree and Dec's. Both done. Now relaxing with a hot chocolate, low cal instant as I am still aiming to hit the 11st mark this year sometime. Not set myself a time limit.

Lovely see new people here. I know this thread has been a life line for me. I have got good family and friends but found friends here who have put up with my worries and doubts. All the advice they have given has helped me know end and still does.