Gransnet forums

House and home

Are you doing less housework ?

(122 Posts)
Romola Sat 11-Apr-20 15:58:36

I dislike housework, and now that we are allowed no visitors, I'm getting a bit lazy about how my house is looking. I do tidy up, but dust is gathering and I'm thinking, let it stay there a bit longer. And although I do like ironing, it's just the collar and front of DH's shirts that get done, and a quick up and down on the front of the trouser legs. (But I am about to wash the kitchen floor as DH is doing more cooking, bless him, but he is a bit messy.)

Marydoll Sat 11-Apr-20 16:05:04

I'm doing much more! I keep wiping things down with antibacterial wipes, as I'm shielding.
House is usually clean and tidy, but I have being rigorously steam cleaning everything in site.

Taking no chances.

AGAA4 Sat 11-Apr-20 16:09:28

I have a list of jobs that I can put off till tomorrow. But tomorrow never comes!
I have cleaned the bathroom and doing 'virus cleaning' but windows, cooker and cupboard tidying are still waiting.

EllanVannin Sat 11-Apr-20 16:14:22

Oh I don't want to get carried away too much. Working yourself to a sweat isn't good for you anyway, plays havoc with the immune system.

Oopsadaisy3 Sat 11-Apr-20 16:18:09

We don’t need to keep cleaning everything down with chemicals as we don’t go anywhere, it’s only if you go out or have people In Your house that you need to keep cleaning everything.
But DH is home and he leaves a trail of untidiness every where he goes, so yes I’m hoovering and dusting more, but the next time I will do it is when the weather changes, until then I’m enjoying tidying the garden.

cornergran Sat 11-Apr-20 16:18:35

I’m probably cleaning more, not excessively I hope but certainly more than usually happens here. There does seem to be a growing obsession with cleaning door handles which I’m sure will pass when the virus does smile.

M0nica Sat 11-Apr-20 16:29:56

No, much the same as usual - as little as is needed.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 11-Apr-20 16:32:38

I’ve bought a steam cleaner after reading about it on one of the threads. Now I don’t know what to do with it???

Blinko Sat 11-Apr-20 16:39:22

I'm doing more housework as I've had to lay off my cleaner. We still phone each other for a natter. I have had to learn how to use the Dyson and the steam cleaner. Well, it's something to do...

Maggiemaybe Sat 11-Apr-20 16:41:16

Probably a bit less, though I’ve always been happy with the bare minimum. I’ve very little tidying up to do now that the family aren’t visiting. Those pirate ships are going nowhere under lockdown and the superheroes and Lego characters have all been furloughed.

Katyj Sat 11-Apr-20 16:44:15

I spring cleaned the house from top to bottom all wardrobes and cuboards the first week of lockdown, wish I’d taken my time now, but haven’t felt much like lifting a duster since ? plus I’ve been going to make a chocolate cake all week and still haven’t got around to it.

grannylyn65 Sat 11-Apr-20 16:44:41

Quite, my steam cleaners in the shed

Charleygirl5 Sat 11-Apr-20 16:48:57

I agree, my cleaner is no longer coming but I can only do one job at a time and at present hoovering and dusting are taking a back seat because I have been clearing and cleaning the kitchen cupboards and next will be the two large fitted wardrobes in two bedrooms.

Then it will be the paperwork and once the house has been de-cluttered it will be easier to clean.

The council is conspiring against me by not wanting to remove anything except waste food.

tanith Sat 11-Apr-20 16:52:21

I’m probably doing things a bit more thoroughly and stretching each job out to relieve my boredom I have a couple of bags ready for the charity shop.

Auntieflo Sat 11-Apr-20 16:54:23

I'm like Katyj, and had a mad 5 minutes.
Now I have slowed down.
Got to make it last, haven't we?

Charleygirl5 Sat 11-Apr-20 17:11:57

tanith if you are bored, I am happy to give directions and after a trip to the supermarket I would happily sit in my car for as long as it takes.

Pantglas2 Sat 11-Apr-20 17:12:15

I’m doing a little more but I’m doing it slowly IYSWIM! This is quite normal for me at springtime and always makes me feel better after hunkering down in winter. Plus the sun is highlighting where all the dirt/dust is hiding!

I can’t stop changing the bed every 4/5 days - it seems to be my sanctuary at the moment and helps me sleep like a baby!

GrannyGravy13 Sat 11-Apr-20 17:12:29

I am cleaning and ironing all the time, as my cleaning ladies are not coming at the moment and the ironing service is not operational.

At the moment I am sort of enjoying it, not sure how long it will last though grin

Gummie Sat 11-Apr-20 17:21:54

I’m doing more. Working from home and locked down the place keeps getting a good clean. Even my ironing basket is empty.
It’s never been so clean and tidy!

rosecarmel Sat 11-Apr-20 17:37:14

I'm doing more- But not as much as the woman living in the flat above me- I'm afraid she's going to vacuume a hole in her floor and drop through the ceiling, not missing a beat, and continuing on through my living room-

SueDonim Sat 11-Apr-20 17:39:51

I’m doing much more. grin My cleaning lady isn’t coming at the moment.

ExD Sat 11-Apr-20 17:41:22

Lol, keep 6ft away from her and you'll get a thorough carpet clean!
Seriously, I'm doing more cleaning too, this place has never been as clean. I've gone all Stepford Wives and started baking as well.

Grammaretto Sat 11-Apr-20 17:43:07

less than nothing round here. We had someone knock on the back door today - not an entrance I'm proud of - she jumped back when I opened it. No comment was made about the state of the porch but she did ask if we were both all right. grin
I am enjoying not having to tidy up every time someone calls.

A friend phoned to say she is spraying everything coming into her house with dilute bleach and then not opening parcels for 3 days. Is that correct? Should I be doing that? I haven't been

threexnanny Sat 11-Apr-20 17:46:42

I'm doing about the same as ever, but think because we are spending more time in it, and doing 'stuff' it's less tidy than normal.

glammanana Sat 11-Apr-20 17:54:14

Everything cleaned into an inch of its life even the front door and outside window frames good job its a bungalow and there are no upstairs windows wink
The ironing basket is empty just two silk blouses to steam but they can wait.
Tomorrow I am going to take a look in the shed I haven't really bothered since I have been on my own so goodness knows whats lurking in there.