Gransnet forums

House and home

Whiffy washing machine, advice from my repair chap!

(63 Posts)
phoenix Mon 20-Apr-20 14:59:45

Hello all,

My lovely repair man obviously can't come out at present, but I got in touch to ask how to clean the filter.

Apparently on my model I cant, but he suggested the following to deal with smells.

Put a dishwasher tablet in the drum, and set to a 90 degree wash.

While the machine is filling, add an extra 10 litres of water via the soap dispensing drawer.

Run the cycle, if it doesn't work first time, repeat.

I'll let you know how I get on!

Sparklefizz Tue 21-Apr-20 10:49:32

Another vote for soda crystals here.

phoenix Tue 21-Apr-20 10:55:44

It worked! grin

H1954 Tue 21-Apr-20 10:58:43

A copious amount of white vinegar in every wash keeps nasty niffs away!

TwinLolly Tue 21-Apr-20 10:59:34

I regularly use a cup.of vinegar in my wash instead of fabric softener.

And I always leave the washing machine door open for a few hours after taking the laundry out. It helps to dry out the washing machine inside. Sometimes I take a cloth and wipe the rubber lining that separates the drum from the front of the washing machine to dry it out too.

It also helps prevent mould in the rubber.

Moving into our house in France, we discovered that the previous owners had kindly left their washing machine behind for us. Unfortunately the rubber inside was full of mould. It took lots of bleach and vinegar, and rubbing, to get it reasonably clean. It's much better now, more so with frequently leaving the machine's door open after washing.

Fronkydonky Tue 21-Apr-20 11:44:42

My machine never smells because I do plenty of hot washes for bedding and towels- I had a friend once who’s husband was in charge of laundry and washed everything on a 40 degree wash☹️ The bath towels always smelled fousty and so did her machine. I usually place a cup of bicarbonate if soda and two cups of white vinegar in the drum once a month or so -to give everything a good clear out on a 95 degree wash cycle. Look after your machine and it should go on for years.

Thecatshatontgemat Tue 21-Apr-20 11:50:53

Yup. Soda crystals in the wash every single time, and always dry the rubber seal around the door when finished.

Sheilasue Tue 21-Apr-20 11:55:03

I use soda for my washing machine, sinks and shower plug.
Once a month the washing machine has a hot wash with soda,
The sinks too.
We had to have a plumber in because our kitchen sink was always blocking he advised us to use soda. Best thing we ever did.

Grandmamaoftwo Tue 21-Apr-20 12:09:57

The same as most of you have advised. We live in a hard water area so I add soda crystals to every wash, I can then use half the recommended detergent. I haven’t used fabric conditioner for years, instead I use vinegar. Since doing this my washing machine stays much cleaner and no smell, the drawer has no nasty black bits either.

Caro57 Tue 21-Apr-20 12:15:02

When not in use leave the door open as well

Grandmamaoftwo Tue 21-Apr-20 12:23:19

I do that too Caro57

f77ms Tue 21-Apr-20 13:05:51

Use washing powder not liquid that will get rid of the smell.

Gin Tue 21-Apr-20 13:34:37

My fairly new machine would not work, only giving a message code for ‘send for the engineer’

The problem was liquid detergent build up. The engineer advised ONE teaspoon of washing powder and a hot wash once a week. We have had no further problems or smells and the washing is clean and does not pong! I save quite a few pennies, a box of powder lasts for ever.

BettyBoop49 Tue 21-Apr-20 14:34:29

I had this problem - horrid musty smell in the washing machine. I tried everything and then by chance stopped using washing liquid encased in gel. Problem was solved immediately. Now only use plain washing liquid or powder and have had no recurrence.

pollyolly Tue 21-Apr-20 14:59:28

Does anyone have suggestions as to where to buy white vinegar in bulk, not online as postage too much. Only small bottles in local supermarkets.
I started to use white vinegar instead of Comfort but towels still hard. Am I using too much soap powder?

barbaraellen Tue 21-Apr-20 14:59:33

I give my washer a clean by running a very hot wash whilst empty and put a nice smelling biological powder in the drawer along with limescale prevention powder. Clean out your drawer before using this method.
This should be done monthly. Just going to do this now.
If you are in a hard water area use the limescale prevention powder every wash.

Lucy127 Tue 21-Apr-20 15:23:07

Because of sensitive skin I make my own washing powder. Don’t need much and the washing is perfect. Very very cheap. I make enough to fill large plastic bucket. (Re-using fat balls bucket). Contains borax, washing soda and lots of grated soap bars! And essential oils if you wish. Never get whiffy machine. Grating bars of cheap soap is a pain but think of savings and the planet.
If I have lot of whites to do I also add Napisan and run for few minutes until well soaked. Then leave overnight. Hot wash as usual. Excellent results.
Oh I’m good!!!

phoenix Tue 21-Apr-20 15:26:52

Hello all, just to say I have tried all of the recommended solutions, but the dishwasher tablet method as given by my repair chap did actually work!

moggie57 Tue 21-Apr-20 15:32:27

soda crystals down the kitchen sink and in your washing machine.do wash on hot ...should go. good luck...(clean filter first)

Baggs Tue 21-Apr-20 15:36:56

Using soda crystals instead of washing powder helps, I think, mainly because soda crystals do the detergent bit but don't add any scents. I think it's the build up of 'perfumes' that cause the stink. That and water not hot enough.

Wash your towels and bedding hot using soda crystals and I bet the problem will evaporate.

phoenix Tue 21-Apr-20 16:10:37

moggie57 can't access filter, see OP.

To all: Use soda crystals a lot, sink freshening, soaking oven dishes with baked on stuff, etc etc, but the dishwasher tablet method is the only thing that has worked on my 15 year old washer/dryer.

grandtanteJE65 Tue 21-Apr-20 16:18:17

Since I started leaving the door of the washing-machine open when it is not in use, it never smells musty.

Even, when I forget, as I always do, to sop up the water that is always left in the rubber seal on the door.

Plunkie Tue 21-Apr-20 16:22:09

How about putting some lemon slices in the powder drawer - works for dishwashers!

Toadinthehole Tue 21-Apr-20 16:34:24

The smell is due to build up of bacteria because so many washes are slow temperature these days. A regular weekly boil wash should sort this. You can also use anti bac wash in your lower temperature loads.

Toadinthehole Tue 21-Apr-20 16:35:02

low temperature, not slow, although all the washes are!

Larraine1 Tue 21-Apr-20 17:09:31

I use 2 table spoons of bicarbonate of soda in wash drew and 2 cup fulls of white vinegar in drum then hot temperatures to clean my machine.