Gransnet forums

House and home

Help calm me. house buying and selling stress. Part 5

(1001 Posts)
craftyone Tue 28-Apr-20 12:43:38

Links to the first four threads

www.gransnet.com/forums/house_and_home/1274712-Help-calm-me-house-buying-and-selling-stress-Part-4

thread number 5

Whiff Wed 01-Jul-20 12:27:06

Wow Franbern. The beds beautiful ,talented parents. Your granddaughter must be the envy of all her friends.

Just got back from Dunelm got everything but the curtains. But have ordered them online. The double bed for the spare room coming this afternoon. As soon as I have the curtains I can move into my bedroom and get that one decorated.

Hope this sunshine lasts. Going to tidy out the garage before lunch. Have a good day everyone.

Oopsadaisy3 Wed 01-Jul-20 13:57:52

Bear in mind Shandy that the EAs might not want a member of the public in their cars ‘at the present time‘.
Best ring ahead before you leave home and arrive in Exmouth, to give them plenty of time to organise some viewings for you and let you know how to get there.

Shandy57 Wed 01-Jul-20 14:55:37

Afternoon all, what a day! After dropping my laptop the cursor has disappeared, so I can’t use it.

So I got up early this morning and took my car to be blown out at the garage. Sat at the bus stop for an hour and thought I’d check the timetable as the bus hadn’t come - ended up waiting two and a half hours ? changed timetable for Covid, argh.

craftyone Wed 01-Jul-20 15:07:49

Dorset on escape today

GrandmaMoira Wed 01-Jul-20 15:25:37

Franbern, your granddaughter's bed is lovely.

Franbern Wed 01-Jul-20 15:46:32

I am surprised that her slightly older sister has not sat down and started to plan one for herself.

My daughter in Weston has been sleeping in the dining room in their house, whilst her hubbie has been totally isolating in their bedroom. This is in the front of the house, and directly outside the window of that room, on their driveway, is where she parks her car.

she said she had heard some noise about 3 am on Monday morning, sounding like a motor bike, but when she went out to take one of the children to school discovered that the catylitic convertor had been stolen from her car and her exhaust sheered through in the process. The police say that there has been an increase in this sort of crime as burgalries have fallen with so many people at home all the time Evidently they just melt down these parts for something in them.

Difficult times, as she is redundant as from end of July and is the only wage earner in the family - had not counted on this additional expense (excess of insurance, etc.).

I often leave my car in the gated car park of the flats for a night or two after getting home from shopping, but have put my car back in the garage for safety.

Ellianne Wed 01-Jul-20 16:17:43

Lovely bed Franbern. Maybe a career as an interior designer?
Sorry to hear about your daughter's car.
Another wet miserable day. Bring back the sunshine!

Shandy57 Wed 01-Jul-20 16:28:09

So sorry to read that craftyone, thieves cause ordinary families so much grief. Someone in Devon had their lovely wicker baskets stolen from outside their house yesterday. I hope the insurance will cover her for replacement and repair.

Just to say I got through to the Lenovo support line, and having too many tabs open can cause a laptop to freeze. All working again now, obviously your positive thoughts!

I've only just warmed up, didn't expect to be wearing my winter dressing gown over my clothes in July!

Shandy57 Wed 01-Jul-20 16:28:42

I meant Franbern, sorry, heads on back to front today smile

Franbern Wed 01-Jul-20 16:47:18

Ellianne, that daughter is an Educational Psychologist - do not think she is thinking of a career change!!! She does have a very creative side -makes the most beautiful and incredible cakes. Thinks she enjoys the creativity as a relaxation. Her hubbie lays floors in places like care homes and hospitals, etc. He does the practical side when she creates.

It is very mixed weather here today. Did try a little rain this morning and has been quite cloudy most of the day - but pretty warm - so windows are open.

Watching BBC news now and seeing a doctor representing the BMA desperately tying to be interviewed whilst her daughter - Scarlett - would not leave her alone. Made me laugh. My two daughters on the South Coast have both stated how difficult it has been working from home - and looking after young children, particularly when trying to attend on-line meetings.

craftyone Wed 01-Jul-20 17:46:48

what a beautiful fairytale bed for a little girl. Rotten about the theft franbern, lowlifes, rather steal than work to earn money. My old village have a facebook village site and I still belong so I can see what goes on, they are very pro-active in keeping watch and every so often will put out a warning about eg a white van at 3am

I finished the shower seal this afternoon, I think it looks good but more to the point I believe that I will not have to re-do it for a very long time. I won`t notice any imperfections and stray mastic on the tiles because I never have my glasses on in there anyway. It is curing now and the shower base needs to have some weight on it. It says 24 hours but I will wait 48. We are very lucky these days, hot water on tap, wash basins, showers, flushing toilets and baths and plugholes. I have been watching tv about servants and the old days, when all the hot water had to be carried up many stairs and servants had to wash with cold water

Shandy57 Wed 01-Jul-20 22:45:18

I'm getting there albeit slowly, just battled with buying my senior railcard on line. Not a flattering photo, I hadn't realised I was starting to get a turkey neck smile

craftyone Thu 02-Jul-20 06:25:38

Then one day younger people start to talk to you as though the brain cells are dead, as though we don`t have a lifetime of experience to call on. We learn to cope with that when we appreciate that we know what we know and the same thing will happen to them. I had a frank chat with a 12 year old dgs the other day, he asked me about some things and I told him truthfully about watching 3 screens when I was share trading etc I have to say he was awestruck and called me gangsta gran as in he now realises that what they see is not what goes on inside the head

We can play on it mind, when we want to, act the feeble little granny grin

Whiff Thu 02-Jul-20 07:17:28

I always say never judge a book by it's cover . It's the same with people. I treat people the way I want to be treated. If someone is nasty to me I can be to. But don't want to be. Even if I have to complain about something I am polite don't raise my voice or swear as you lose your ground that way.

Some young people think just because you look older you are feeble minded. I admit technology baffles me but I can do more than I used to . You are never to old to learn. I love learning new things all the time. I charged my cordless screwdriver yesterday and today will be putting together my step with a long handle from Easylife. My husband would laugh his socks off me having a power tool. Let you know how I get on.

My home improvement guy said I have taught him something's. Because of the way I have to think about how to do things and have things done so I can cope with everyday life. But it's really all down to my husband. When I got ill he said right we change our way of life . He did things like put up another handrail up the stairs and ones in the garden. And a million other things until he died. As others on this thread you have to alter your surroundings so you can be independent. Life is what you make of it. The good and the bad.

If things were easy think how boring it would be. Our life experiences have made us the people we are. We all struggle with things physically and emotionally. On here we can share and help eachother. I for one could not go through what's happening at the moment without your support and for that am grateful.

Franbern Thu 02-Jul-20 09:10:36

Whiff, I have one of those steps, with handles at side and at top,. Have brought that with me, as it does mean that I can use that reasonably safely. Only problem is that it is quite heavy - but can cope with that in the flat.

On my move I got rid of a lot of household tools, including power ones. Have a good selection of screwdrivers, couple of hammers, etc. Fortunately, son in law and daughter have lots of power tools and they come over if I need anything done. Does still amaze me how much muscle power I have lost over the years.

I can remember this actually first starting in may late 50's. I was in the gym and struggling with supporting a youngster on a particular move I had taught thousands of time in the past - and also instructed other coaches how to support safely and appropriately. Thinking I was doing something else, I called over another coach - and YES< I was doing it correctly, but had started to lose some of my strength and was not able to support this move with one hand, whilst using other arm to swing her, as I had always done previously.

In the more than twenty years since then, lost a lot more muscle power, and notice this, particularly, when trying to use screwdrivers!!!!

I have got very lazy about going out, particularly in this 'chance of rain' weather. Have got into the habit of doing everything from my armchair and on-line. Today, I really must get out to make an optician appointment, Should have had my annual check up in April - and they are all open now. Be glad when the weather returns to being summery again,.

Shandy, have you decided to go to Exeter on train rather than plane now?

Shandy57 Thu 02-Jul-20 12:13:56

ha ha your talking of tools reminds me of my endeavours to remove the wall mounted television, that was so difficult as I could only turn the spanner a small amount each time, my wrist hurt for about a week afterwards! worth it though, hopefully I'll be able to have it installed in my new house.

You must be tuning into my thoughts Franbern, I've just come off the phone to Cross Country. I will see less people by rail as I can drive myself to the station, hopefully go first class and not have to sit next to someone. I will have to book assistance to get on, so great they offer this service. 7 hours though so I won't arrive until the afternoon.

I will make sure I plan out my time really carefully when I'm there. I can't buy a ticket yet, they are scheduling weekly at the moment with 50 people allowed on each train, they are reviewing this on Monday so I'll get up early to have a look.

I have managed to get my dog into kennels for the week, which is a relief, but another £100 to save up. I don't have to pay the cat sitter as I gave her my buddha ornament - I used to pay £15 a day to the other person.

My pain at waiting two and a half hours for the bus yesterday was worth it, my mechanic hasn't charged me for taking my car on a long drive smile I drove my daughter's car in for a service this morning and swapped cars, he's going to drop it off when it's ready.

Enjoy your day smile

craftyone Thu 02-Jul-20 12:57:37

I have been reading about the 135,000 of older women short changed on their pensions. It concerns those who paid a small amount and got a small pension. If the husband reached retirement age ie 65 before 2008, then they should have got an uplift based on their husbands pension.

Thousands did not know about this and never claimed and the dwp and pensions will not be informing them in spite of it being a mistake on their part, by not uplifting automatically. Many of these women will have deceased and this money is lost forever. It is a scandal. There are very many older women out there who have no idea and who are owed thousands. The DWP will not be telling them, they have to find out for themselves

Whiff Thu 02-Jul-20 14:31:55

Shandy57 you have said many times on here you have to be careful with money. I'm not being rude but why pay for a first class ticket. Whether you are in first class or ordinary you will still have to wear a mask. You have just said you need to save up £100 for kennel fees. You won't be sitting next to anyone because of the distance rule.

Craftyone it's like a lot of other things that people can claim. Unless you find out for yourself the powers that be won't tell you. It was only be chance I found out about the falls unit attached to my old council that I could get things for my mom. My parents said when my husband died you will get a widows pension. I laughed and told them there was no such thing. Because of his age his private pensions paid out lump sums. I have been very careful over the years. I will get my state pension in 4 years .

Put together my step with handle and then put together my first ever flat pack. It's a bedside table from Noa + Nani. Tops a bit wonky but very pleased I did it. Looks good. Once the spare room is decorated I have a flat pack double bed to go in. Was going to ask my daughter and son in law to do it but I will have a go myself.

Franbern Thu 02-Jul-20 16:06:57

Was given a nice white tile for the drain cover for my balcony. People are very nice.

Railway travel asssitance are brilliant - I usually use them when I am travelling by train. Whereas, I can just about get myself up those steep steps into the carriages, there is no way I can also get any suitcase or bag I am taking at the same time.

They always take me , in one of their motorised buggies right to the coach, put my luggage into the train and ensure I am in my seat - and the repeated at the other end for me to alight.

I really find the new normality difficult - I went to Specsavers today intending to pop in there, make an appointment for my annual (now 15 months since my last one) eye test, and also pick up some batteries for my hearing aids,. Of course, got there, and the door is locked, - appointments only.

Back home, went on line, no appointments available....telephoned them, spoke to a lovely young lady who told me they have such a large backlog from the past few months, they are only seeing those with urgent need at present, and I will be contacted when they can arrange an appointment. But, I can just knock at the door to collect those batteries.

We have booked to go out next Wednesday to Wild Place ( a section of Bristol Zoo), as my daughter has to take a few days off work in the next couple of weeks to use up her annual leave, before being made redundant. Previously, we would have made the decision the day before about going - but nowadays you have to book as only so many permitted in each half hour - although once inside you can stay all day - it is just to ensure people not queuing at entrance.

Niobe Thu 02-Jul-20 17:17:30

Franbern, the problem you had getting your appointment with Specsavers must be a local problem. I went down to our local branch today to make an appointment and they had a girl at a desk outside the door to make appointments and they gave me one for next Tuesday at 5pm. They also offered a retinal scan for £10 but I get those every year anyway so I declined that.
I love your granddaughter's bed!

On the subject of using tools and attempting our own DIY , many years ago one of my mum's friends who lived near us had her grandchildren visiting for a couple of weeks so they used to come to my house to play with my 2 boys. I think that suited granny as well as the children!
That was ok for the little boy but the little girl used to just spend her time with me and one day she arrived just as I was preparing my husband's electric drill to put up the brackets to take hanging baskets and a window box. She watched in silence and then blurted out "Auntie, ladies don't do things like that!" I have to add that my husband was in the Merchant Navy and away for 4 months at a time so I was well used to doing all the DIY! Maybe we aren't ladies!!?

craftyone Thu 02-Jul-20 19:54:20

I went onto NS&i online to get some money transferred and this time they wanted to phone my mobile and I had to input an onscreen code. My mobile begins with 07 and there was a 44 in front of it. No call came through so I thought maybe to check the phone number. To do that I had to give answers to 2 questions, bearing in mind that I had input the answers to those questions many years ago, I got one answer wrong twice and that sent me into a downward spiral of my password having to be re-set via a password that they will be sending via snail mail. No money withdrawn

I had almost all my eggs in one basket with NS&I, only the other day I closed virgin and transferred the money to ns&i, I won`t be so quick to empty my bank account again, will always keep a decent safety net. It was decent, due to unexpected circumstances I decided to help a dd, as family do

I got ds to ring me on 4407** but number was unobtainable. He tried again on 447** number was obtainable. There is no way I am going to remember everything without writing it down. I hate this aspect of life, it is so complicated

Oopsadaisy3 Thu 02-Jul-20 20:29:40

I think that you should have left the 44 off from your phone number, I gave them my land line number, not sure what would happen if I needed something when we are away though.
I had to be transferred to the Customer services manager some time ago , apparently , I got both security questions wrong, one question was my birthdate and the other was my Mums maiden name!!
I had a ‘forthright’ discussion with the manager and eventually got to sort my account out. but you are right it’s an absolute pain, especially as our local banks have all closed.

Shandy57 Thu 02-Jul-20 23:25:05

I think we all cope very well with technology, I don't think my mum or MIL would have. I do feel like tearing my hair out sometimes though. My daughter disagrees with me keeping my passwords written down, but I just cannot remember all the different combinations.

Sorry about your phone difficulties craftyone, is it that you have to drop the 0 at the front of your number? I was having trouble with numbers yesterday whilst buying my senior railcard, to put in my date of birth it kept giving me that horrible 'rolladex' type option for day, month, year. I kept clicking on my birth date and it kept rolling onto another date. Not sure why they had 1895 on there, are any of their customers that old! Finally did it, but must have taken ten minutes.

I then had to phone the Lenovo help line, but after dialling was told by a nice young man I didn't have enough money on my 'giff gaff' money bag, so I had to go on line into my banking app and transfer money before I could phone.

Just come on to say be careful with your readings if you are with Octopus - I read it wrong and received a £1500 bill, and luckily they have now adjusted it, but I feel something has gone wrong somewhere along the line. My electricity bill seemed to be around £15 per month for February and March when I had the heating on. Now, somehow it has increased three fold and I've just had to make a one off payment of £150. Not sure why, they are going to 'monitor' my account.

Feeling good I cut the grass in the front garden today, tackling the bigger back garden tomorrow.

I've just received an email from my friend - her grandson has coeliac. She is very upset but at least they have found out, and it can be managed.

Friday tomorrow, the week has flown smile

craftyone Fri 03-Jul-20 08:03:41

If it is any help shandy, I have gas and electricity, my octopus bills were: january £72, february £64, march £58, this month was £41 and I pay £55 a month. I am back in credit by £22. Electricity does not change much in any month at around £35. They are only going to monitor your account because you have been entering incorrect readings. I do like octopus, the customer service is very good

I am on a direct debit fixed rate to 7th november, their cheapest rate. It appears that for 5 months of the year I am billed over the £55 a month that I pay in. I will need a surplus of around £120 to cover those months with higher usage. This would be by november. I cannot see me getting over £100 by then because gas will hardly vary in summer and electric will be about the same. So I have talked myself into e mailing them to increase my monthly dd. I think another £10 pm would do it

Franbern Fri 03-Jul-20 08:58:01

Dealing with modern technology is just something most of us have had to take on board as part of our lives these days. I did, only recently have to contact my 10-year old g.son to ask him to tell me the instruction I need to give to the living room Alexa to change its setting (his father - my SiL) had set it up to join in with my sound bar on the tv - for some reason, which means I could not hear the radio direct through it. G.Son, told me the words I needed to re-set this for me!!!

Craftyone - 44 is, of course, the country number, if you put this you normally need to leave off the '0'. I keep a largish telephone index book with ALL my passwords, etc. written in there. Hundreds of them, all under their appropriate initial. This has proved so very useful - and is always kept totally up to date. As we are asked NOT to use the same password too often, we do need someway of keeping written reminders. Even when I go away for a few days, this index book travels with me.

Niobe, thanks for that information - I am going to see if any other optician can give me an appointment earlier - or another branch of Specsavers. Of course, the optician I have attended for the past forty years is back in Chingford, os anyone I go to is going to be new for me. Just thought of Specsavers as they are so near for me and I used them for my audiology appointment and they were excellent for that.

Re energy suppliers - I have been with EDF for many years,do annual checks with other companies, but have always found little difference in costs - and EDF have always been very simple to contact with any problem. I usually use their 'help' system on line, and nearly always get any queries or problems sorted out very quickly that way. They only ask for twice yearly readings - I cannot have a smartmeter in this flat (due to distance between the two metres), and do send someone round to check readings, if they feel there is a discrepancy. My main bill is Leccie - gas is minimal (only used for hot water in summer and that, and central htg in winter). My bills are usually covered by about £50 per month DD. If you go into credit with them for over one hundred pounds, they automatically pay that amount back into your bank.

Off to make a small batch of scones this morning. This afternoon, my teenage g.child will re-assume their Friday afternoon visits to me as they used to do before Lockdown. Then probably their Mum and 10-year old brother will also pop over to see me and eat the scones. Do have to remember to go down to garage to pump up one of the back tyres that has a very, very slow leak, but was showing as needing some air in the warning light on my dashboard.

Many, many years ago, my hubbie showed me how to do a weekly check on the car back then. Check tyres, check battery, check oil level. I even knew how to change a wheel back in those days. Long since gone, leave it to the proper mechanics now except do keep in boot this lovely little tyre pump. It is set for my tyres, so all have to do is start engine, plug this in to cigarette socket (whatever they are called these days), attach to tyre, turn on and wait until it turns itself off. Works perfectly and reasonably quickly. Even an RAC mechanic I had to call out once preferred to use this, when he discovered I had it, to his own very large pump.

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion