Gransnet forums

House and home

Clean freakery

(54 Posts)
sandelf Wed 20-May-20 12:15:46

I'll tell you mine if you'll tell me yours... Over the years I have developed some either very useful or totally mad habits. Here goes. Plastic home viewing/swimming pool overshoes while cleaning the shower. Clean the kitchen worktops using a squeegee as if they were windows. And I do look beyond fetching (they say we should keep our feminine mystique don't they) wearing gardening knee pads while cleaning the wooden floors. Anyone got any other hard learnt gems?

Cabbie21 Fri 29-May-20 12:23:26

My plumber, when he last came, told me never to put a block of cleanser in the cistern as it corrodes it.

Franbern Mon 01-Jun-20 09:10:01

Gwenisgreat - I can sympathise with you on this. Back in the 1970's I had three very young children. My next door neightbour gave birth to her first child. She had been in a very high-flying job prior to that.

She struggled with this baby - and one day, the visiting Health Visitor suggested to her that she should visit me more often (we did have occasional cups of coffee together), to see how much more relaxed she could be.

Sort of backhanded compliment it turned out, The HV was concerned that the house of this new mum was always totally spotless, and she was still doing so much baking, bottling, etc. Wanted her to see my messy house.

JackyB Mon 01-Jun-20 10:03:54

I love cleaning. I don't enjoy this hot weather, so I stay inside and potter. As soon as DH has cleaned his teeth, I attack the bathroom, bedroom, washing, ironing and kitchen. By which time it's time to get lunch.

He always used to wonder why I kept asking if he'd cleaned his teeth - as if I was worried about his dental hygiene! It was just to know if I could finally put my rubber gloves on and get going!