When I posted, I forgot to say that another one of my best buys in my old house was the wonderful parquet design Amtico floor I had laid in my through lounge.
Back then I had quite a lot of young g.children, and the rear of my through lounge was the dining area and had french windows into the garden. No way, could I replace the carpet with another one, would be moaning about children dropping food and bringing in dirt from the garden. I spent well over a year agonising on this - then saw this Amtico, all separate tiles, and the border was designed on the computer in the exact colours I wanted. When it was laid in 2006 - it took a week and cost three grand. I can remember, at the time, thinking I was mad spending so much money on a floor - but from the moment the last tile was in place I never regretted one penny of that cost. Looked brilliant (virtually everyone who entered my house remarked on it), was so easy to keep clean, couple of small rugs and, I am certain, is was a major help when I sold the house.