Gransnet forums

House and home

buying a 2nd property to be near grandchildren

(35 Posts)
flopen Wed 24-Jun-20 12:34:23

Our daughter has recently moved to a new part of the country with her partner and young children.
We really like where she lives and are lucky enough to have some spare cash, and were thinking of buying a small property nearby as a second home.
Has anyone done this - and has it worked well?

Tangerine Wed 24-Jun-20 12:37:29

No, I haven't but, if you get on with your daughter and can afford it, why not try it?

You could always sell the property at a later stage if necessary although I accept that this can be stressful etc.

If you bought a flat, perhaps you would have somewhere ready-made to move into if you couldn't manage a larger property.

What do your daughter and partner think?

Namsnanny Wed 24-Jun-20 12:38:06

What's not to like?
Come and go as you like. Not a burden to daughter.
Just dont drop in unannounced!!
Enjoy smile

crazyH Wed 24-Jun-20 12:44:18

Lovely idea - if you have the money, why not ? You could also probably rent it out, when you're not using it . I don't think it's anything to do with her daughter where she chooses to buy her second home. And besides, daughter will be happy to have a baby-sitter on call. BUT, make sure you form your own friendships, join a club, so that you are not in your daughter's way. And don't buy too near your daughter's house.

flopen Wed 24-Jun-20 12:44:58

I've checked that my daughter's OK with it (and her partner)!

twinnytwin Wed 24-Jun-20 12:45:10

Sounds perfect to me. Go for it.

Namsnanny Wed 24-Jun-20 17:35:08

Sorry hope I made myself clear earlier, when I said
not a burden to daughter
I meant by not staying in her house, you would be the perfect visitor!

We spent many years by the sea, and had numerous visitors who thought of us as their free B&B.
We didnt mind for the first 5/6 years but became a bugbear when we were clearly being taken for granted!

sodapop Wed 24-Jun-20 17:40:09

Sounds like an ideal arrangement for everyone flopen Go for it. Life is too short to procrastinate. CrazyH had some sensible advice too.

flopen Wed 24-Jun-20 18:35:29

Thanks all.

Chardy Thu 25-Jun-20 09:46:57

Sounds wonderful. I'm jealous (and don't like the idea of 2nd homes at all as I live by the sea, but it sounds great)

J52 Thu 25-Jun-20 10:04:28

We did it. We sold our main house with the intention of moving permanently into our 2nd home in a different location and by the sea.
Our DCs had settled near to our main all home, so we downsized to a property near both their families. It’s great we can come and go as we please, see them or not and have our friends to stay.
If you can do it, I’d say go for it. So many benefits.

granh2 Thu 25-Jun-20 10:18:36

We bought a flat to be near my son and family, without having to stay with them. They live on the coast, so the flat is let out and managed by my dil when we or my other children want to stay. Two downsides - the travelling, a long drive (we are in our late 70s - and I prefer the second home and would like to move there permanently but husband prefers to stay in our main, but far too large first home. He would miss his social life and can't envisage building a new one - then there is a lifetimes of clutter to sort. Causing quite a dilemma! I feel split between two places, and not truly at home in either. Suggestions appreciated!

Diggingdoris Thu 25-Jun-20 10:24:41

I know a friend who did that. Bought a studio flat so they had a base each time they travelled the 350miles to see family. The best purchase ever they say.

Paperbackwriter Thu 25-Jun-20 10:25:11

I've had a second home for 37 years. Years ago we'd rent it out now and then to help pay the daughters' school fees but now they've both moved permanently to that area so we don't feel we can sell the cottage as it's our base so we can see them all. Please bear in mind 2nd homes are far more expensive than you'd initially think. Two lots of 100% council tax, utility bills, water etc all have to be factored in. Insurance is expensive for a home not 100% occupied. And then when you sell it, you cop for capital gains tax. Oh - and if you're in a pretty area there will be people (like one of the posters on this thread) who will hate you to the point of utter xenophobia.

flopen Thu 25-Jun-20 10:39:01

yes, I'm concerned about what it'll be like living a two-centred life.
We normally have a busy, city life, with lots going on. But Lockdown has meant that most of this has stopped, and I'm thinking 'well, how much do I want to go back to doing, and how much am I prepared to drop in order to see more of my grandchildren?' and would it mean that we would have a rootless life in both places?

Willow500 Thu 25-Jun-20 10:42:16

Absolutely if you can afford it. My parents actually moved round the corner from us a year after we came here so saw my sons grow up and also met their great GDs before they passed away. The best thing they did.

4allweknow Thu 25-Jun-20 10:42:59

As a holiday home why not. Sure you will appreciate the need for good security when property isn't being used. Wish I could buy something near my AC to make life easier.

jaylucy Thu 25-Jun-20 11:03:02

Try renting first - completely different visiting to living somewhere

TrendyNannie6 Thu 25-Jun-20 11:04:42

Go for it, if it will make you happy.

Gwenisgreat1 Thu 25-Jun-20 11:18:48

If you've got the cash, have a bash!

moleswife Thu 25-Jun-20 11:22:58

My concern would be regarding the area you intend to go to - it is a fact that many reasonably priced homes (I presume you're not intending on purchasing a £1m+ home!) are being sold to second-homers and pricing the locally brought up young families out of the market. Would you consider selling up to move closer to them? Or would a local B&B or Airbnb work - especially if you could make a relationship with them to come frequently and for a varying length of time? It would also prevent the need to have all the downsides of another property - upkeep, council tax, etc. and your own personal/physical circumstances might change over time needing a different type of accommodation.

grandtanteJE65 Thu 25-Jun-20 11:56:20

What difference will it make to your Income tax?

If there are no hidden snags, then go ahead. You can always sell one of the two properties later, if you want.

But take into account that leaving either property unlived in for any length of time will turn the garden into a jungle and increase the risk of burgarleries.

J52 Thu 25-Jun-20 12:02:44

We spend 50% of time in each house, so we can keep up with gardening etc. Until Lockdown of course.
We also have social activities in both places and have always been welcomed by ‘local’ people.
The biggest difficulty is thinking you’ve bought something (coffee, dishwasher tabs, etc) and finding it was at the other house!

Davida1968 Thu 25-Jun-20 12:45:41

Great idea - lucky you!

sarahellenwhitney Thu 25-Jun-20 13:08:22

That sounds ideal and that you will like the area enough, not just because DD lives there, to want to make it your forever home,should? there come a time DD decides to sell up and move elsewhere. Never say never.