Gransnet forums

House and home

Help calm me. House buying and selling stress. Part 6

(1001 Posts)
craftyone Tue 07-Jul-20 13:32:14

Links to the first five threads

www.gransnet.com/forums/house_and_home/1277819-Help-calm-me-house-buying-and-selling-stress-Part-5?pg=40

thread number 6

Whiff Thu 09-Jul-20 07:40:01

Franbern glad you had a lovely day out and the weather was kind to.

Craftyone thank you for the info I will pass it on.

Because I wrote a review on the bedside table I had from Noa & Nani I received a free gift of a three tier shoe rack . It came yesterday and couldn't resist putting it together. I won't use it for shoes already have a tall one from IKEA which fits in a small space in my hall. But it can be used as a book shelf or to store my craft supplies. I will give it a couple coats of clear varnish when I do the bedside table. It sells for £24 not a bad free be.

Raining here again. Off to Aldi this morning. Always put my mask on before I leave home that way I can make sure it's in the right place. Phoned taxi company yesterday about how they want payment for my journey home. The drivers have the machines just to tap your card.

Have a good day everyone. Hopefully the sun will shine again soon.

craftyone Thu 09-Jul-20 07:57:03

that was a nice gift whiff, useful

I am glad to hear that taxis are running. I`ll be getting a shower in a mo and will be cycling into the car park, haircut today. I am only going to ask for a tidy, I am liking my longer hair and it looks thicker. I don`t want a bob though, must tell her that and will tell her that I like my unique sticky out bits on the side, remnants of curl I suppose somewhere in dna

I need to hunt out my money notes, I did start stashing some before covid, the easiest place to use is at sainsbury self checkout. I am getting used to being cashless

I absolutely want to do some knitting today. I have some fairly local artisan wool from devon, john arbon devonia, it is utterly gorgeous to knit with and I am making a very useful cardigan by martin storey (ravelry) I do like to support small business and only use natural fibres. Wool is fab, wear it, air it and does not need washing every 5 minutes

Franbern Thu 09-Jul-20 09:08:49

You can easily book railways assistance either over the phone, or on-line up to about 48 hours before you travel. You will be sent an email giving the full information of your travel times, etc. They are very good, and will put your case onto the train for you and assist you up those steep steps on to (and off) the train. Usually, then have to register in when you get to the station, and should take a printed out copy of the email confirmation with you.

You seem to be quite fixated on Cornwall now, have you decided not to look at South Coast any further?

I am surprised at the comment about ground floor garden flats, obviously areas are very different. There were, and still are always a few around here available. Do not just rely on one individual agent in any area - they will only want you to see the properties they have on their books, keep checking on things like Rightmove, which list ALL the properties for purchase in the area.

Yes, you can get stair lifts for any shape stairs - can be quite pricey for curvy ones though. And, they need annual maintenance, etc. Not too keen on the idea stair lifts as a way of future proofing. Okay, if you are in a property that you really do not want to leave - but they do have several disadvantages.

At my last house, I always used to say, blithely, that I would be able to have a stairlift put in if my mobility reached that point. However, when it did, and I made enquiries I was not happy with the idea. Getting up stairs with my laundry basket of dry clothes was a weekly nightmare, would need to do that one stair at the time, placing basket down on each stair rung as I went, same if I was coming home with a suitcase. And stairlift would not have been any use for that.

I love it now, my washing basking goes on my little trolley to go from kitchen to spare room next door with wet washing, and then on same trolley over other side of hall to my bedroom with dry washing. Equally, any suitcases wheel into the lift here direct from my car, and then wheel directly into my flat and bedroom, no lifting involved.

Houses were fine when there were the children and I was younger, I am so very, very grateful and enjoying living on one level now. The other advantages to a flat (over, even a bungalow), is that I have no worries or concerns about any sort of outside maintenance , no roof, no gutterings, no drains, no pipes, no brickwork, no fences, etc. etc. Okay, I know I am considerably older than you Shandy, but I really do wish if I had done this several years back.

Will have a quiet day today, still feeling pretty exhausted from yesterday. One of the problems with aging (for me), is the fact that I always need something like 24-48 hours to recover from a day out - even though I do not do any driving on those days (except my mobility scooter). My next 'outing' is on Sunday, when we are off to meet my two youngest daughters and their three little primary school aged girls in a park about half way between them and us. Weather forecast is good - hopefully, it stays that way.

Illte Thu 09-Jul-20 09:16:51

I don't mean to butt in and I haven't read all the other threads so I'm probably just repeating what someone else has said but Shandy if the Wool area is beyond your means have you considered Bridport or Weymouth.

They are not as exclusive and sought after as the Wool area which a lot of Londoners buy in and push prices up.

Weymouth is by the sea and close to Monkey World. Bridport has a thriving retirement community and all the facilities you need.

I also love Dorchester. There are lots of apartments there but not so many small houses or bungalows. But it does have the train station.

It just a thought. Especially Bridport that not many people even know exists

?

craftyone Thu 09-Jul-20 09:51:14

We looked at Dorchester before buying in somerset. The houses in poundbury were something else. Very well built, well designed and fitted but it was like being in a robotic video, no soul and very many management conditions about what you could not do. All that area was too pricey for us anyway

I had my hair tidied and am living in a different style, one that developed during lockdown, glossier and thicker too and no more short for me grin. I went on my heavy bike and so much feel like going on a proper ride on my sporty bike, think I will, after my tea has gone down. There is only one way to break in that leather saddle

It is very lovely to see my local centre adapt to the new normal, with walk through when possible or a notice to say 1 or 2 in the shop. It feels as though thecentre is waking up

Shandy57 Thu 09-Jul-20 09:54:10

Morning all, hot and sunny again!

I am envious of your shoe rack Whiff, I was sorry to put mine outside when I moved, we had a wide three shelf wooden one. Went in a flash along with everything else, I had to get rid of so much when I moved down here. I've got my shoes in a washing basket now - in the lounge! No room in the kitchen.

Thanks for the suggestion Illte. I'm spending this month looking at lots of places, I need to narrow it down but it is difficult being so far away. The beach is my priority as I want to walk my dog there every day, I enjoy it too. I am anxious about getting the train to King Cross for the August trip, it's still a reduced timetable and going to book fast with essential workers.

My IFA has sent me a long form to complete, and my printer isn't printing, I hope I can fix it.

Have a good day whatever you are doing smile

Illte Thu 09-Jul-20 09:58:39

Poundbury has to be seen to be believed?
A couple of years ago there was a fantasy series on TV where the characters got off a train and found themselves in a weird, unbelievable town. It was filmed in Poundbury ?

Craftyone while you are there. I have lots of little cucumbers on my ridge cucumbers but they are not growing. Should I pick some of them off?

Thank you. Im not hijacking.

Franbern Thu 09-Jul-20 10:10:47

Illte, I love those little, baby cu's. Can't get them in my local Sainsbury, but daughter buys them for me each week when she does her Tesco shop. Can eat them like sweets (and much healthier). Welcome to this site, nice to have new people join us.

I really must get round to making a hairdressers appointment soon. I keep my hair very short, and have been doing my own trims (chops!!) quite happily these last few months. Need to allow that to grow a little before being brave enough to go and get told off by hairdresser for doing that again.

Shandy, are you arranging any other trips to other places? or just hoping that one will be the successful one?

Illte Thu 09-Jul-20 10:26:34

Thank you for the welcome.

My long term live apart partner and myself took the plunge last year and moved in together. We both sold our properties and bought something new in a completely new place. A fresh start.

Wed just started finding things to do and meeting people when lockdown happened! Along with the not quite finished bathroom! We haven't really had a chance to look at new furniture so it's all a jumble.

And in the Leicester hot-spot.?

Ive spent the lockdown months making a vegetable plot inthe garden but it's many years since I had anything except a little town garden so I'm an amateur really.

Franbern Thu 09-Jul-20 10:51:01

Looked up Poundbury, looks very interesting.

Re, Stamp duty - time for one of my little nostalgic stories from the past,

Back in very late 1971, I persuaded hubbie to come to see some plans for seven small houses being built for sale by the local Authority in Loughton, Essex. I hated the old house we lived in Walthamstow, and really desired a new build. We'd had severe problems when trying to sell that house a couple of years earlier, (then at the same price we had bought it five years earlier), but as these new-build were going to take some six months thought we had time.

So, we did put a deposit on one - and the saga began. House on market, still no interest (did not blame people, but felt pretty depairing). In Spring I became pregnant with third child. Then the housing market went into total melt-down. Not sure reasons why, but any property on market had long queues of people waiting to view it, most with open cheque books in hand. Prices went up and up.

We were in a fortunate position, - had that new property being built by developers, they would have increased expeditionally in price, however, Council planning department had set price and it stayed. Indeed, had no problem selling our existing house, 50% higher than our original purchase price!!! Lots of would be purchasers suddenly appeared at increased price. We finally went with an Estate Agent for this who was not charging us for sale, this to be paid by purchaser. We felt very fortunate and happy.

Completion of properties got delayed from May to June to mid-July that year. Hubbie lost his job!!! Disaster for us. After an agonising four weeks he got a new job, and mortgage was all agreed. Finally got date for completion of build for end of first week of July. Much excitement.......then hubbie informed me and bldg society and purchasers that we would not complete or move until 1st August. Why? That year there was a change in Stamp Duty, on that date, and that would mean we would have to pay this on our new house. I was devastated. I actually drove down and sat in the cul-de-sac and looked at all other six houses being occupied later in July - just ours left empty. I was terrified we would lose it all.....in tears most days - but 1st august arrived, and we moved and were better off for the delay. When I became friends with new neighbours and told them why we had delayed moving, they were really angry with their own solicitors who had not given them similar advice.

craftyone Thu 09-Jul-20 11:40:31

Illte, my cucs are static as well, maybe they need a lot more moisture, they used to do similar on the allotment and then suddenly would spurt into production. I like little courgettes as cuc subs, I may not grow cucs next year, then again they do make nice juice. I`ll see how it gors this year

Exercise is done, I loved being out

GrandmaMoira Thu 09-Jul-20 11:41:06

My niece moved two weeks ago from a small to large house in London so paid a lot of stamp duty. If she had known, she would have delayed but you never know what is around the corner with the housing market. The main thing is that she is now in a home more suitable for her growing family.

Franbern Thu 09-Jul-20 11:53:04

GrandmaMoira - congrats. to your niece, forget the extra stamp duty, she must be so pleased this horrible sell/purchase/move is finally concluded. Best wishes to her and her family in their new home.

Shandy57 Thu 09-Jul-20 12:39:22

Afternoon all, I've fixed my printer but the 'click here' on screen instructions have printed out too, silly me! I'm going to do it on line later.

I checked the stamp duty on a £275K house, which I could stretch to today - £12,000. It's a great saving. I am sorry your niece paid it GrandmaMoira but hope her new house is full of love and laughter. I am very glad your story had a happy ending Franbern, that was very stressful for you all.

I am booking trips, but I'm at the mercy of the kennels and they are already full for July. There is another kennels but my dog suffered terribly there one year through them being flooded out, he was so wet all the time he'd developed a fungus on his paws. I was very shocked, the girls had tried their best but he really suffered. As he's now eleven and a half I want him to be as comfortable as possible. I could get a house sitter, but worry as there have been incidents where dogs have escaped.

I've managed to book him in for the end of August, and the end of September. So far I'm off to Broadstairs on 24 August, Exmouth on 21 September. I'm still choosing the third place to visit, I think it will have to be the best of three or I could travel forever! I would like to rent first, but the rents are very, very high - I am lucky to only pay £600 here, and council tax band A. Or is it B, it's lower than D anyway!.

Off to ring some estate agents, have a lovely day smile

Franbern Thu 09-Jul-20 16:35:12

Shandy sad that the kennels were flooded whilst your dog was there in the past, but no reason not to use them now. And, you say they were very kind even in the very difficult circumstances, You really do need to get on with this home search and it seems a pity to waste time between now and end of August.

Note that craftyone did her leather furniture after a year. Well, today after I had taken out my washing from the dryer, and, as I always do, emptied the water container and removed the lint I noticed a 'door' at the bottom of the machine. Opened it, and with three easy movements took out the internal filter - notice on that door says to 'clean that every five cycles' I have had the machine since November, used every week, so a lot more than five cycles. The filter definitely needed cleaning. All done now, waiting for it to dry to put back in. Must remember to do it more often AND to fully read instruction booklets in future.

craftyone Thu 09-Jul-20 17:02:15

It could easily take 4-5 months for a solicitor to get searches etc back, councils working very slowly right now. 4-5 months plus the time taken to find a home will mean shandy not being in time to get the zero stamp duty. Time is of the essence

Shandy57 Thu 09-Jul-20 17:59:40

Crumbs Franbern you've just reminded me, I've had the shark cordless for months too and hadn't realised I had to wash the filters on each side. Off to do that now smile

The owner of the house I liked is shielding as sadly she has lung cancer, so can't view it. I am trying!

craftyone Thu 09-Jul-20 18:28:11

Are there any unoccupied properties with no forward chain? Anywhere? I know you are looking but you cannot afford to be in a forward chain while they look for a property. I think I would dismiss any that are not empty now. 6 months is no time

craftyone Thu 09-Jul-20 18:35:27

shandy, no chain and looks in very good order, exmouth

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-79868137.html

Whiff Thu 09-Jul-20 18:41:19

Shandy57 just looked at Craftyone's link looks lovely. But you need to get a move on. Like she said searches can take time. My niece works in the planning department and has been working from home for ages now. And it's slowed things down.

Ellianne Thu 09-Jul-20 18:49:41

Yes, craftyone, nice road, a bit hilly at one end but this property is on the more level stretch. Not too far from station or beach, but I would go by car, yearly tickets available.

craftyone Thu 09-Jul-20 18:53:15

also empty, same road
www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-62494812.html

and another empty, they must have been older people who have gone into care or probate
smaller kitchen, stonking view to the estuary
www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-69066984.html

MerylStreep Thu 09-Jul-20 19:28:15

I would be amazed if any of those bungalows were still available in September. But you never know.
I've always said: if it's meant to be yours, it will be.

Shandy57 Thu 09-Jul-20 21:51:25

Thanks craftyone, so nice of you to put those links on. I'll focus on empty properties now, especially with today's experience of the vendor shielding, who knows when she will want to resume viewings.

The landlord came tonight so I now have a working dishwasher, I have to put the curtains back up onto the new curtain rail, and the smoke alarms are back in! He was here for two hours, I feel exhausted, haven't been used to talking!

craftyone Fri 10-Jul-20 09:11:26

Indoor day so I have decided to roll sleeves up and tackle a floor to ceiling kitchen cupboard. I shall try and be methodical and have pulled out 1/3, so now the kitchen tops are full. I did find some good things, the bread maker recipes that I had copied and laminated, the hand bread making bits that I had stashed in a box

It seems that a year is about the right time for me to re-visit things that I put away in a hurry after moving in. I have lots of white enamel dishes and plates, for baking but they need to be in plain sight, now going to be decanted to the small dresser. I have racks in all these places, to double the storage space

I am enjoying a hot chocolate right now and will shortly go back with new and not boggled eyes. It would be different if I were 6` tall but I would rather not rely on frequent use of steps, even if they are safe. There is an optimum cupboard space between knee and head height and I must allocate that precious space carefully

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion