Gransnet forums

House and home

Help calm me. House buying and selling stress. Part 6

(1001 Posts)
craftyone Tue 07-Jul-20 13:32:14

Links to the first five threads

www.gransnet.com/forums/house_and_home/1277819-Help-calm-me-house-buying-and-selling-stress-Part-5?pg=40

thread number 6

Ellianne Mon 21-Sep-20 07:53:30

Exmouth yesterday.

Whiff Mon 21-Sep-20 08:37:48

I can get to Chester for free using my bus/ rail pass. Went last year with my daughter and grandson before Christmas. They have a disabled car park a few steps from the shops. You can park for 3 hours for free. I know I have a disability but don't think of myself as that. As I see people much worse than me . And l have no name for what's wrong.

I like to keep busy. I always have plans of what I want to do. It's my way of coping with life. Everyone has a way of dealing with things. I always consider pros and cons of things I want to do and once I have made a decision stick to it. Brought 5 tester pots the other week for living room which will be decorated next year. Already decided on frosted steel. I had painted the samples on four walls in different lights giving each sample 2 coats. Not saying all my decisions work out but 99% of the time they do.

We need to live the best life we can or what's the point. My life is not perfect by any means but am doing the best I can. I know my son is lost to me and have accepted that. Hopefully when my grandson's are men they may want to know me and if they do I will welcome with open arms. And if my daughter in law is still spying on me on here. Hope she is happy she got her way. But don't hate them as once I love for me that's it . No matter what they do it won't change. But can never forgive or trust my son ever again.

Luckily have family and friends who are always there for me. And I count ones on this thread in that. My cousin is hoping to come and stay in March so that's something to look forward to. He was widowed at 53 his wife was the same age when she died. I got on very well with her. My mom told me all the family stories and she used love hearing them. My cousin's mom was my mom's sister.

Anyway enough of me reminiscing.
Sun's just come so off to peg out my washing
Have a good day.

Franbern Mon 21-Sep-20 08:52:32

Whiff, a earlier last year my son and DiL took me to visit Chester and used that lovely disabled car park. I hire a scooter when I visit them, and they are great in getting this on and out of their car. With that car park being right in the centre of Chester, we were able to have a lovely few hours thefre - what a fabulous place it is. I also love the tv series on Chester zoo.

So lovely and sunny and warm at present, although the forecasters are saying this is the final few days. I did manage to finish off putting bulbs in my patio pots yesterday. When I went out to go to my daughters, I stupidly swung the scooter out of the garage too fast, and there is a very small step, and it overturned. and threw me out!!! Very shaken - silly isn't it - but first thing I was cóncerned about was to see if anyone had seen me being so silly it was early Sunday morning, so fortunately they had not! picked up myself and scooter and went on my way. Cried most of my way there, and also discovered I had a nasty graze on my knee and ankle from the tarmac. Daughter bathed that for me. Feel a bit old for skinned knees!!!
Going by my history - I am pretty sure that it will not be any sort of virus etc. that will eventually kill me off, but a fall!!! I have a long very bad history of these.
Craftyone, I do not think the Nightingales will be in any more use now than they were earlier this year. Yes, infection numbers are definitely rising (as anyone with an ounce of common sense knew they would as schools, etc return and people return to work, etc.), but the serious illness rates from these is very low and death rates extremely low. This so-called second wave is likely to have much less impact on medical services.
Perhaps the Nightingales could become normal hospitals for everyone with non-corona -(assuming they could the staff), and the tens of thousands of people requiring treatment for cancer, heart conditions, strokes, etc. etc. etc. could have their much needed treatment in those.

Whiff Mon 21-Sep-20 09:35:33

Franbern hope you recover quickly. Falls at any age take time to get over even if it's a mild one. And yours wasn't. It's a shock to over bodies. Rest as much as you can. As you may feel worse tomorrow. Take extra care of yourself.

Shandy57 Mon 21-Sep-20 09:51:26

Morning all ? Just popping in to tell you how disgusted I am. A couple across the aisle are sitting in booked seats at a table - not their booking - and for the second time have scared off the single females who have one of the seats booked. Despicable people.

Ellianne Mon 21-Sep-20 09:54:52

That's bad Shandy, it happens a lot and not much anyone can do.

Shandy57 Mon 21-Sep-20 10:21:41

Finally signed up for wifi so can write again? sorry you hurt yourself Franbern, argh, remember the iodine for grazed knees as children, ouch! Good old Germolene.

The misplaced old lady, now sitting behind me loudly munching her sandwiches has phoned everyone she knows to tell them a ‘gentleman is sitting in her seat.

Franbern Mon 21-Sep-20 10:52:10

Oh, I have so often had that happen on trains, even in first class. I always start off, very quietly and politely saying 'Sorry, you seem to be sitting in my seat' Usually that is enough, but if they ignore me, I stand and say rather loudly - You seem to be unable to understand numbers, you are sitting in MY pre-booked seat' Most give up to me at that point, as everyone else in the carriage turn to have a look. If they still do not move I stand there, Falling against them every so often. as hard and heavily as possible. Park my handcase, and lunch etc/ on the table in front of them, and ask someone to find the ticket inspector.
Never had one continue beyond that point although some can be quite rude.
Have a good time in sunny Devon, Shandy - you will notice immediately how much warmer it is down here than where you are travelling from. Good Luck in your property search.

Whiff Mon 21-Sep-20 14:00:39

Just popped on to the Coronavirus forum and looked at a couple of threads. Lot of angry people on there. Can understand some have a point. But no need to be mean to eachother. We just have to be sensible and do everything we can to keep those we love and ourselves safe. Just follow the rules. And use common sense.

Ellianne Mon 21-Sep-20 14:15:32

Exmouth is boiling right now Shandy. You should get good views down the estuary. You pass the marine camp, but the train wont stop there. Those waterside properties in Exton go for a couple of million. You will arrive at school chucking out time. Exmouth community college is huge.

Callistemon Mon 21-Sep-20 15:00:31

Exmouth is boiling right now Shandy. You should get good views down the estuary.

envy

Oopsadaisy4 Mon 21-Sep-20 15:16:13

Callistemon I take it you aren’t in Exmouth☹️ Or getting any sun, poor you, shall I tell you how lovely it feels? Or not.

Boiling here in Oxfordshire too, unfortunately Men on the roof means all windows and doors firmly closed......And they are here most of the week, which is a pain, by the time they go Autumn will be here.

Callistemon Mon 21-Sep-20 15:19:15

Yes, we do have lots of sun here today, it's lovely in the garden. But no sea!

Oopsadaisy4 Mon 21-Sep-20 15:22:31

No, well Oxfordshire isn’t great for sea views either, so I feel your pain.

Franbern Mon 21-Sep-20 16:05:40

Beautiful in WsM again today. Very warm sunshine, clear blue sky, and sparkling sea (when the tide is in).
Am still wearing my summer skirts and tops and sandals. Think we are probably coming to an end of it.
Have not had all the windows in the flat closed, day or night for months.
Have spent far too long today trying to download and use a VAT exemption form for use with a disability item. Gave up and printed one out, scanned the completed one back into the computer and used that.

Callistemon Mon 21-Sep-20 16:30:30

Oopsadaisy4

No, well Oxfordshire isn’t great for sea views either, so I feel your pain.

Thank goodness for the garden, although I've been indoors doing some essential paperwork today! Well, internet work iyswim.

craftyone Mon 21-Sep-20 17:32:42

Franbern, I am so glad you didn`t break a bone, you were pretty lucky but obviously badly shaken. Falls are those disasters lurking for all of us, I am very conscious of holding the hand rail even though I need not

Busy again all day, time goes so very fast, de-rocking again but I had regular breaks and ate well and drank plenty of water, also salt on my food as I was perspiring a lot. I think one more day will be enough to give me a decent bed for asparagus, then I have to feed the worms, they must have hated the dense compacted soil as there were hardly any. I will put local peat on top, turn it over and cover until november when I will put a good layer of home made compost on the soil and re-cover. It will be a lush home for worms and asparagus

Shandy57 Mon 21-Sep-20 18:05:27

Battery nearly dead but really like Exmouth, having supper outside Franklins, it’s like being in France/Spain

Ellianne Mon 21-Sep-20 18:13:18

Evening Shandy. You're just round that big cliff from me. Gorgeous day here. Time to head home for tuna pasta. Good luck tomorrow.

Ellianne Mon 21-Sep-20 18:13:58

Photo

craftyone Tue 22-Sep-20 05:44:18

The first day of autumn today so I am going to get cracking outside, while the soil is dry under my feet. One more heavy day of work while the weather is good. I get so involved and there is some satisfaction when I manage to prise rocks from 15" down. Beware new houses, builders only need by law to put a fairly thin layer of soil on top before turfing, 4" I believe. I could build an outhouse with what I have removed so far since I moved in. Thats the trouble with a build on a brownfield site. I am glad I asked them not to sow grass seed to compound it all.

After this marathon, I shall just clear one hole at a time and only when needed. Drainage will be good now anyway, there was a noticeable difference to one small patch last year, it held water until after I cleared rocks and loosened the sub area. Rain seems to be a distant dream right now, my water tanks are almost empty, only enough left for one watering can. It is warm here, not sure I like it so constantly warm

Whiff Tue 22-Sep-20 06:48:10

Craftyone how are you niece and her husband?

Franbern how are you today after your fall?

My grandson helped plant 15 narcissus bulbs in my front garden. He met my neighbour and postwoman proudly told them he was bulbing. I have an indoor trowel and rake which are the perfect size for him to use. We had fun putting his gardening gloves on. Silly nanny forgot he has only ever worn mittens before. We had great fun trying to get his fingers in them. We did his favourite thing in the back garden water some of the plants.

Had planned on going into the garden today. Thought I had got rid of the UTI but it's back. Got up at 5 as I had been in and out of bed like a yo yo since 12. Can't wait until 8.30 and can phone the drs.

Staying inside today. Cleaned yesterday but will find other things to do. Never like to be idle.

Shandy hope you had a good night's sleep ready for your viewing.

Have a good day everyone.

Franbern Tue 22-Sep-20 08:59:15

Oh Whiff feel for you with UTI. Did you give a sample last time for testing? This is so important as different infections do not respond to some a,b's. They will dull it down for a time, but not get rid of it. And the longer they are there, the more virulent they will get.

Thanks for all your concern. I am one of those people who cries immediately I have any shock to my system - and doing th is (and I never fight it off now), usually helps to ensure I do not suffer aftermath from shock, which can be so much worse.

I had my tears immediately I fell, sniffled my way to my daughters house, and burst into a good cry when i was there. I can remember once, when I was tired, I suddenly burst into sobbing whilst washing up. Real, out loud sobbing - had to stop and put tea towel to my face. Thought it was just tiredness - the felt something very sticky and when I looked, discovered I had cut my hand very . Yes, I cried from the shock, before I even knew that I had damaged myself.

Grazes are healing well, thanks to germolene/savlon and not covering them. I am fortunate I did not break a bone. It was only a fall from standing that caused a stress fracture of my spine early last year.

Shandy, all my good wishes in your home hunt today. Glad you like Devon, just think you could have this as your permanent home within a couple of months. Would be good for you and for your pets. And, already people you know down there.

Whiff Tue 22-Sep-20 09:25:17

Franbern glad you are on the mend. Phoned the surgery. My daughter is going to take my sample in for me. It will be dipped and then set off. Have to phone back at 1.30.

It's amazing how a good cry can make you feel better afterwards. I think it's because you let go of what hurts or was upsetting you in the first place. Know I feel better after. Then I am ready to take on the world.

Shandy57 Tue 22-Sep-20 14:46:02

Afternoon all, I’m early for my last 3.30 viewing on the outskirts of Exmouth. Thank heavens for the 57 bus, the hills here are challenging to say the leastsmile

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion