Gransnet forums

House and home

Norfolk good bad ugly

(59 Posts)
kissngate Fri 10-Jul-20 09:54:30

We have had our house valued thinking now is the right time to move. We were thinking of Norfolk from say Kings Lynn to Cromer and beyond and all areas in between. Any gransnetters know the area, I would be interested in your thoughts good and bad ie places to avoid or good local communities. Thanks in advance.

10tedsrobinson11 Sun 12-Jul-20 14:03:15

I have lived in north norfolk all my life . Grew up in a seaside town and then on marriage another town 20 mins from coast. I now live in a village 5 mins from coast. Our village has a lot of second homes as do many of the villages not far from the coast . Local people find it very hard to buy properties in their hometown and villages and have to move further inland . I think there are some nice market towns further in from the coast that would be worth looking at . Our coastline is wonderful very varied . Cliff tops at Sheringham,Cromer, Hunstanton and then the Stiffkey, Blakeney and Morston with the marshes and Creeks. Some lovely safe beaches of the bigger seaside towns and the charm of smaller places like Mundesley ,Sea Palling. Transport can be a problem in villages you really have to have a car and yes no motorways in Norfolk ! Swaffham,Fakenham,Holt, Sheringham,Cromer, Hunstanton,North Walsham ,Stalham, Wroxham are all nice towns some of which are served by the Sheringham to Norwich rail line.

kissngate Tue 14-Jul-20 14:09:10

Thanks again everyone we have been busy checking out areas albeit online. Being realistic we think the coast is out of the question. We are now thinking more Suffolk possibly Stowmarket and villages surrounding. I want access to cambridge via train or bus to meet up with daughter at lunchtime. I really like the look of Beccles but unsure of transport connections.

vegansrock Tue 14-Jul-20 14:49:09

My sister lives in Swaffham and loves it. They call Burnham Market Chelsea-on-Sea as it’s so full of second homes, every house seems to be painted in the same Farrow and Ball colour.

welbeck Tue 14-Jul-20 18:00:18

how about Halesworth. i know someone retiring to there.
not sure of transport connections.
do you not drive, OP.
some places that look lovely for a holiday are not really practical for older living.
with increasing years/ illness/ weakness, one may not be able to drive. and what is the coverage of district nurses etc.
life that is ok can change if alone, isolated, disabled.

TheFrugalPiggy Tue 14-Jul-20 20:02:46

Needham Market us a delightful market town. Lots of independent shops, butchers, hairdressers etc, just down the road from Stowmarket and there's a train station! I know several folk who live there and they really like it.

JuliaM Wed 15-Jul-20 09:42:14

I lived on the Norfolk- Suffolk boarders as a child for a few years, and have a step brother who still lives near Beccles in Suffolk. More recently we have spent several weeks a year around the waterways of the Norfolk broads, and the area around the Sandringham estate, in our touring Caravan. Before buying a property in the area, it pays to check out the local flood risk, as the most innocent looking small drainage dyke or channel, Beach or staithe can become a fast flowing tidal flood should a storm surge blow down from the North east, or torrential rain over several days effect river levels in the area. It can be very difficult to get house insurance in such areas and at a reasonable cost due to this fact, and one of the reasons that we no longer live in the area perminently.

FoghornLeghorn Fri 17-Jul-20 17:39:16

I spend a lot of time in north Norfolk as I have a second home there. Oops! I love it and am off to there next week. One thing I would say is that as you age you need to be aware of the health care provisions, or dearth of. Most places are a long way from a hospital, either the Norfolk &Norwich in the east or the Queen Elizabeth, Kings Lynn in the West. You really need to drive as public transport isn’t great.

Someone upthread said Sheringham is rough. Not imo it isn’t. Unless you’re in a big town Norfolk is like all holiday destinations, busy in summer and quiet in winter. It takes the pressure off though if you’re retired and not having to commute or stick to work/school timetables when dealing with holiday traffic.

I love it and love being able to spend so much time there. Seriously thinking about moving up there permanently.

Coppernob Fri 17-Jul-20 17:50:17

I lived in Heacham for 11 years and my children went to school in Hunstanton. The A149, the road from Kings Lynn round The North West and North Norfolk coast gets very busy in the summer. We preferred the winter when the tourists had all gone home and the beaches were 'ours' again. I now live in Yorkshire and enjoy visiting friends in Norfolk still, but wouldn't want to live there again.