Gransnet forums

House and home

What is your favourite classic car

(62 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Wed 15-Jul-20 16:12:55

I have two a cortina mark one column change gears on steering wheel bench front seat, and a moggy Morris minor with the lovely orange indicators opening out at the sides

Buffybee Thu 03-Sep-20 19:50:58

Early 1970's Dad drove a Daimler Sovereign, Mum had a white
E type Jag and I had a white MGB Gt.
But my favourite car ever was the Mercedes Sport 350 SL my Dh bought for my twenty sixth birthday.
All would be amazing classics.

rubysong Thu 03-Sep-20 19:42:25

We had a Triumph Spitfire when we got married, (I had given DH £50 from my student grant so he could afford it. My parents never knew that.). If we went on a motorway and got a decent speed up there would be a loud bang and the soft top would come unclipped and fly off. We went to the Yorkshire dales on honeymoon (1972) and spent most of the time fixing it as it kept going wrong. It would be valuable if we still had it now.

Blinko Thu 03-Sep-20 19:17:29

A 1936 Lagonda - does about 8 gallons to the mile, but what style!

MaggieTulliver Thu 03-Sep-20 16:58:43

Volvo P1800 (the Saint drove one). An ex-boyfriend was obsessed with this car, he bought one in not very good nick and then upgraded to a better one. It was red and I loved it. We used to go on the Chelsea Cruise - does anyone remember that?

NotSpaghetti Thu 03-Sep-20 15:10:24

Ferari Dino or the 250GTO ???

BUT - if I had to choose a family car, what about the Lamborghini Espada? Still dashing after all this time ???

Nannarose Thu 03-Sep-20 13:53:00

One with a chauffeur in it.

Alishka Thu 03-Sep-20 11:30:13

Lovely threadsmile

Spangler Tue 01-Sep-20 11:40:31

This is what my MG looks like, although it's a different colour.

allium Tue 01-Sep-20 11:32:57

MGB have had one or two over the years and the GT's. Hanker after a Z4 now ?

Jane10 Tue 01-Sep-20 11:22:11

In case anyone's wondering, I asked for my post to be deleted because the picture contained too much information. Nothing dodgy I assure you!

Alexa Tue 01-Sep-20 09:29:44

I remember Standard Vanguard! Our boys released its handbrake while husband and I were in the tent and the runaway SV bent the tent pole. Husband tore after it in his pyjamas . It was lucky the campsite was not a steep field.

MiniMoon Tue 01-Sep-20 00:52:34

I used to walk past a house with a MG B GT parked ourside. I used to drool over that car, it was gorgeous and I wanted one. Never could afford one though.

The first car I remember travelling in was a gunmetal grey standard vanguard belonging to my uncle. Not very handsome, but roomy.

Alexa Mon 31-Aug-20 22:19:09

I never use one, but did admire these dashing old Rileys with the rather splayed front wheels and long sweeping running boards

EllanVannin Mon 31-Aug-20 22:13:50

Brother's first car was an MG Sprite bought from April Wilding, daughter of one of the Pilkington's ( glass ) who he knew in the 60's.

Grannynannywanny Mon 31-Aug-20 20:47:18

Fond memories of our first family car in the early 60’s, a Reliant Bond, just like the one in this photo. A very noisy 3 wheeler powered by a motor bike engine. The motorbike engine and lack of reverse gear allowed it to be driven with just a motorcycle licence. We had it a year before my Dad got around to sitting a driving test. It couldn’t reverse but could turn full circle. Very cramped and noisy but we loved it.

Jane10 Mon 31-Aug-20 20:36:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Juliet27 Mon 31-Aug-20 20:32:00

Did love our old Reliant Scimitar which sadly lost its life to an arsonist.

annodomini Mon 31-Aug-20 20:30:38

I'm also a Beetle fan. In 1960, I went round the Wolfsburg factory and immediately coveted the shiny bug. Eight years later, I got one of the first 1300 Beetles, bright (not sky) blue. It was reliable, went like a rocket and tackled the East African roads with ease - not to mention fording rivers.

biba70 Mon 31-Aug-20 20:26:46

Never owned one- but I learnt to drive on two cars at the same time, a 2 CV and a TR4 - couldn't have been more different. Then I had the joy of regularly using a TR6 - red- will always be my <3 one

geekesse Mon 31-Aug-20 20:24:08

I drive an MGTF, and it is my dream car. I always wanted an MGB GT, but they are dreadful rust-buckets and nowhere near as nice to drive as more modern cars.

Sarenka Mon 31-Aug-20 19:55:26

Jowett Javelin, my Grandpa’s car, smell of tobacco and mint imperials inside, creaking leather and the clunk of the Golden indicators bossily appearing, stately progress in a robust no nonsense motor, built to last, and so it did.

George441 Sun 30-Aug-20 09:07:25

Toyota prius smile

Gingster Tue 21-Jul-20 08:34:38

We have an MGTD. It’s the same age as me.

Davidhs Tue 21-Jul-20 08:21:31

This was mine, bought it as a wreck and restored it, we had it for 12yrs but OH complained, noisy, dirty, smelly, uncomfortable, hot, all of which was true, had to get a more modern one.

Spangler Tue 21-Jul-20 06:47:52

When I was a teenager I hankered after one of those MG sports cars that you see a Spitfire pilot driving in war films. There was a model known as the MG TC. I actually thought that TC meant something like Twin Cam or Twin Carbs. It was a long time before I discovered that the TC was the third in a series, as in: TA, TB, TC.

Life then got in the way, I climbed the greasy management pole, with it came a company car, changed every other year, and the MG got forgotten.

Decades later and that MG itch came back but my wife is asthmatic and susceptible to pollen, so an open top sports car wasn't really an option. But MG made a saloon version of their popular sports cars, it's called The Y-Type and that's what we now have. I'm still trying to work out how to upload photos, without much success, but if you click on this link www.mgccyregister.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Jessica-on-the-Quay-2.jpg you should see a photo of the car. It was at a festival called: "Poole Goes Vintage."