Gransnet forums

House and home

What is your favourite classic car

(61 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Wed 15-Jul-20 16:12:55

I have two a cortina mark one column change gears on steering wheel bench front seat, and a moggy Morris minor with the lovely orange indicators opening out at the sides

Greyduster Wed 15-Jul-20 16:28:52

We had a Triumph 2000 Mk1 saloon in the early seventies and, after what we had been driving, it felt like the most luxurious car we would ever own. DH bought it for a song, with eleven thousand miles on the clock and the plastic covers still on the leather seats. Walnut dash board, automatic, twin carbs, whisper quiet, it went like the wind.

Elderflower2 Wed 15-Jul-20 16:31:51

Jaguar XJS, can just see myself like Lady Penelope.

EllanVannin Wed 15-Jul-20 16:33:12

Pa-in-law had an Austin Princess, fabulous car, so quiet.
SiL had a Humber Super Snipe which she hadn't driven for 10 years and was in the garage when she died. 1976--1986.

Nortsat Wed 15-Jul-20 16:35:41

Inspector Morse’s Jaguar.

Our first car was a Reliant Robin 3 wheeler! So Morse’s jaguar seemed impossibly glamorous...

Oopsminty Wed 15-Jul-20 16:39:51

My father had a Morgan. No idea which type. I was always mildly embarrassed by it when young. All my friends were picked up in Range Rovers or large fancy cars and I thought our car was rubbish!

My mother had a Morris Traveller. That used to mortify me as well

But my friend's father had an E Type Jaguar which I adored. Still do. Not seen one on the road for years though!

Jane10 Wed 15-Jul-20 16:41:19

Best vintage car by a mile 4 1/2 litre Bentley.
Moderns? ie Post War vehicles? Meh. Not fussed they're just transport. grin

Marydoll Wed 15-Jul-20 16:44:37

A Morris minor, followed by a Ford Anglia! Certainly showing my age.

I did fancy buying a Mazda MX years ago and just as I was sitting in the driver's seat, trying it out, my GP appeared in the showroom, picking up his wife's new car.
He told me I was being ridiculous, as I would never be able to get out of it, due to my RA.
He was correct! ?

lovebeigecardigans1955 Wed 15-Jul-20 16:55:06

I always loved the Lotus Elan which I think The Avenger Emma Peel drove. Powder blue please.

I have a soft spot for the Morris Traveller which I think has the wooden pieces (I've heard it referred to as 'half-timbered'). My dear late husband had one in cream before I met him. It never let him down, whatever the weather - except for the one morning when he drove it to a showroom to sell it - I told him it didn't want to go! I've a tiny Dinky model of it.

SueDonim Wed 15-Jul-20 17:33:08

We had three Lotus Elans, before we had children, Lovebeigecardigans, a two-tone white & yellow John Player, a yellow and a white one. One of them was a soft top which leaked like a sieve in rain. grin Sadly, I couldn’t drive in those days so never got behind the wheel.

We also had a series of MGB’s and MGA’s. We managed to transport ourselves, two children and assorted luggage and buggies in an MGBGT. shock

I’d love a Jaguar Mark2, they’re beautiful, and an E-type, too.

Ellianne Wed 15-Jul-20 17:43:38

Am I allowed the Volkswagen beetle? I went round the VW factory once in Wolfsburg and fell in love with these diddy cars on the production line.

lemongrove Wed 15-Jul-20 17:46:05

Hmmm, hard to choose.A Lagonda perhaps, or a old Jag.
Or a Rolls, remember the film The Yellow Rolls Royce?

BBbevan Wed 15-Jul-20 18:19:55

Jeep Wrangler. with canvas roof. We gave it up for more comfort and the ability to hear each other. But only when we got to 70

Auntieflo Wed 15-Jul-20 18:59:27

We had a Cortina Mk 2, that DH loved, sometime in the 60's.

When I was a young thing, still at school, I used to walk past a beautiful, old style, sleek Citroen, that I thought very glamorous, and still do.

My own love was a Fiat 650, that looked almost as though it should be a wind up toy.
Loved it to bits, but the rust wasn't good.

Gajahgran Wed 15-Jul-20 20:52:16

Citroen Light 15 for me. It was my first car and I wish I'd kept it.

Jane10 Wed 15-Jul-20 21:01:12

Gajahgran- Citroën light 15 very stylish. My Dad had one and I well remember being taken to Nursery school in it.

Chewbacca Wed 15-Jul-20 21:13:06

Triumph Spitfire, rag top, white. Happy days!

Sunnyoutlook Wed 15-Jul-20 21:34:32

I had an original Fiat 500. I used to have my small daughter in a car seat in the back with my even smaller dog. Also had a Citroen 2CV6, it was a nightmare to park and was bright yellow.

Chewbacca Wed 15-Jul-20 21:42:26

I had a Citroen 2CV6 but mine was plums and custard colour. Never got used to the handbrake though. Which is a distinct disadvantage in any motoring history.

Loulelady Wed 15-Jul-20 22:02:42

Jaguar E Type convertible.
The most beautiful car in the world in my opinion.

phoenix Wed 15-Jul-20 22:12:42

My dream car is a Morris 1000 convertible with a red leather interior!blush

I've had a Mercedes SLK 230 kompressor, went like hell, but still want that moggy!

SueDonim Wed 15-Jul-20 22:54:53

My older brother’s first vehicle was a Morris van. This must have been in the late 60’s. I don’t know where he acquired it from but he hand-painted it green. It had no windscreen washers so he kept a Fairy Liquid bottle filled with water to hand and would open the window and squirt the windscreen to clean it.

It had holes in the floor, too, and in wet weather, driving through deep puddles would make the cardboard floor mats it had instead of carpet would gently float around in the footwell.

On the very rare occasions he would meet me from school in it, I was as proud as punch to show off my brother and his car. gringrin

WOODMOUSE49 Wed 15-Jul-20 23:47:39

Lotus E type convertible

Not ever being able to afford one, I have owned and loved: Beetle, when I passed my test in 1974, Morris Traveller, MGB Roadster (chrome bumpers + wire wheels), and finally 10 years ago a BMW Z3

WOODMOUSE49 Wed 15-Jul-20 23:50:29

Lotus E type convertible That should say Jaguar E Type !

MayBee70 Thu 16-Jul-20 00:08:41

We used to travel round Europe in a Morris 1000 Traveller. People would point to it saying ‘baum’ but going up mountains passes our little moggie would still be chugging along when other cars had given up. It had a little bump where the speedometer was and we used to pat it there when it had been good. I thought they were going to remake them a few years ago but don’t know what came of it. . He eventually went to someone who used him for spare parts, after failing his MOT. It was a sad day. I still have his number plate.