Gransnet forums

House and home

Shower screens, best way to keep sparkling and smear free? ?

(42 Posts)
phoenix Mon 20-Jul-20 14:59:47

Hello all, and usual good wishes.

I know this has been asked before, so I apologise in advance! smile but.....

We have a "plain" glass screen, shower is over the bath and the screen is parallel to the wash basin where Mr P makes a lot of mess has his shave etc every morning.

I have tried various "Daily Shower Clean" sprays, with not very good results.

So, any suggestions?

Please do not suggest a squeegee, or microfiber cloth to wipe down after every use, Mr P just doesn't function that way confused

I can't even get him to wipe round the basin when has had what he refers to as his "splosh", and believe me, that is probably the right word!

Thank you!

fevertree Mon 20-Jul-20 15:05:54

Phoenix if a scraper/squeegee is out of the question, you will fall at the first hurdle. smile

My shower screens are spotless thanks to a combination of squeegee wipedown (takes moments) plus a spray of Morrisons Shower Every Day after each and every use.

Ilovecheese Mon 20-Jul-20 15:12:30

Mine are also spotless. I don't use a squeegee but spray every day with Mr Muscle shower shine then once a week I wash with a spray cleaner and wipe down with a window cloth.
It may help though, that I live in a area of very soft water.

Alexa Mon 20-Jul-20 15:41:12

Would it maybe be better to get rid of the shower screen and simply mop up the wet floor? Or maybe get a succession of cheap plastic shower curtains that you throw away after a while?

Lucca Mon 20-Jul-20 15:42:36

I think you just have to be a different sort of person.

GardenerGran Mon 20-Jul-20 15:47:26

If you live in a hard water area I can highly recommend getting a water softener fitted. I wouldn’t be without one and so glad I don’t have to clean limescale of taps, shower screens etc. anymore.

SuzannahM Mon 20-Jul-20 15:53:09

@phoenix - you made me laugh. Mr P sounds much like Mr M grin. He's very good in many ways, but it usually takes a long time and a lot of effort to get him to change his routine.

We have very hard water and the shower screen gets lime encrusted reasonably quickly. I've just started using Rain X after cleaning it to see if that reduces number of times I need to clean it/effort required to clean it. It's meant for car windscreens, to keep the raindrops from sitting on the windscreen. Someone I know uses it and reckons it works but it will be a few weeks probably before can see if it makes a difference.

Chewbacca Mon 20-Jul-20 16:01:16

I have a full length walk in shower and so the shower screen is huge! I know you don't want to use the squeegee method but it's the only one that has worked for me. The only other thing I can think of is, wait until MrP has finished his sploshing, go in after him, and the use one of those Karcher steam window vacuums? I've not used one but I've seen them recommended on Mumsnet as being quick and easy to use.

Rosalyn69 Mon 20-Jul-20 16:03:18

I find the daily shower stuff works just fine if you use it straight away.

MawB Mon 20-Jul-20 16:07:50

I have a walk in corner shower with curved sides and doors so a squeegee would be a total faff.
Daily Shower Shine (Method is my favourite) sprayed on the wet surfaces after a shower works brilliantly (and we have very hard water here) .

PernillaVanilla Mon 20-Jul-20 16:07:53

Cream cleaner on a j cloth and then wash it of with the shower head - gleaming and streak free. I don't find the daily shower clean stuff works as well but keep some there as when my sons visit they are not so diligent.

Septimia Mon 20-Jul-20 16:07:53

My full length one isn't clean. I keep forgetting to put the spray on it.

Mr S splashes water everywhere from the basin - mainly onto the shelf adjacent where I keep all my toiletries. His shelf is higher up - and dry. I think I made a mistake there......

Greyduster Mon 20-Jul-20 16:10:30

I would get a new Mr P but interview him first to make sure his ablution habits cut the mustard!?.

gillybob Mon 20-Jul-20 16:14:49

Well I use slave labour in the form of my 2 year old DGD who loves washing the shower screen with soap suds and then using a squeegee to remove the suds. This keeps her happy for ages and I get a lovely clean shower screen. Win win.

I know what you mean Septimia my DH makes a right mess (and noise) getting washed . It makes me cringe listening to it and I just know there will be splashes everywhere .

phoenix Mon 20-Jul-20 16:38:18

Oh heavens!

So many responses! Thank you all!

Will get back to reply once I've sorted out the trellis (different topic, sorry, multi tasking!)

Auntieflo Mon 20-Jul-20 16:38:18

Oh Phoenix, you are a tonic for the soul, and I love hearing about the goings on in Phoenix Towers.

We have a Karcher window thingy in the bathroom, and even DH uses it.
Wonders will never cease, although we do still get tiny bits of limescale on the shower screen at the base.

What is it about chaps and their very noisy ablutions?

Auntieflo Mon 20-Jul-20 16:40:30

Holding my breath for the results.
Three projects on the go now?
Kitchen cupboard
Shower screen
Trellis?
You didn't tell us about that one, or did I miss it?

B9exchange Mon 20-Jul-20 16:44:43

I really think you will have to be firmer Phoenix, it took a while, but a combination of threats and bribes has got DH into the habit of using the squeegee every time now!

quizqueen Mon 20-Jul-20 17:02:39

All I do is use the damp towel I used to dry my hair with and it seems to get all the suds and smears off and my shower glass/tiles/taps etc. looks as new as the day it was installed. I do it while the shower cubicle is still damp and I stand in there in my underwear or the nude to do it! I've learnt not to do it fully dressed as sometimes I knock the taps accidently and set off the shower!!

lovebeigecardigans1955 Mon 20-Jul-20 17:07:23

I don't think it's a good idea to get rid of the screen. Shower curtains would get damp and mouldy - my sister has them and she despairs. Her husband isn't a natural handyman so they're stuck with them as he doesn't see the need for a proper screen. Does it really matter if the screen isn't super pristine?

phoenix Mon 20-Jul-20 17:28:17

Auntieflo never a dull moment here!I

To all those who suggested being firmer with Mr P, well, you are welcome to try!

He is a complete contrast to my ex dh, he was short, Mr P is tall, he was a stroppy, argumentative "person" Mr P is laid back in the extreme!

However, Mr P will "agree" to things, and then go his own sweet way!

Purpledaffodil Tue 21-Jul-20 08:19:08

Tell him wet shower screens are a Covid hazard. Well it worked with my MrP putting the loo seat and cover down after 50 years of nagging, I mean discussion.?

Missfoodlove Tue 21-Jul-20 09:42:50

I am more than obsessive when it comes to shower screens.

I have found the magic solution!

It is rarely available so when I see it in Lidl or on Amazon I buy 4!!

A bottle will last 6 months plus so it’s great value.

Here’s the link,it is currently out of stock on Amazon but may be on EBay.

www.amazon.co.uk/Vileda-Magical-Prevention-System-Cloth/dp/B00IAM1PEK?tag=gransnetforum-21

I’m so sad I’m reluctant to share this little nugget as it will mean supplies could be even more meagre in the future?.
I am however feeling smug as I have 4 bottles???.

timetogo2016 Tue 21-Jul-20 09:52:59

I use a lemon as i find the sprays get on my chest.
Works just fine.

Auntieflo Tue 21-Jul-20 11:22:29

Missfoodlove. Just clicked on the link.
It is currently unavailable!