Gransnet forums

House and home

A tip for Keeping the house cool

(56 Posts)
DiscoGran Mon 10-Aug-20 13:48:34

Looking out of my windows at some of the houses in my neighbourhood, a lot of folk have their windows and doors wide open in the hottest part of the day. This lets all the hot air in.

I was taught many moons ago (hot summer of '76 I think) that you open all the windows early morning, then close them and the curtains or blinds when the temperature starts to rise. Then open them again in the evening once cool. It works.
You may already do this. A lot of my neighbours don't seem to. Seems like a no brainer to me.

harrigran Sat 15-Aug-20 08:42:52

My goodness this thread is interesting. I am reading about wet sheets and fans and my heating has been on for the last three days. I have also had to have the lights on from about 7.30 at night as it is too dark to read.

craftyone Sat 15-Aug-20 08:09:13

ventilation should be built into all floors of every house, it was the first thing my husband added to our loft after we moved to our family home. He was a structural engineer and knew what he was doing. Air tight areas are bad for houses (and people)

Nannan2 Sat 15-Aug-20 01:43:11

Our last house had a loft conversion done by previous people, but open at top of small stairs, and i just used it for storage as it was fully insulated and absolutely boiling up there! When i had to go up to sort out/ditch the clutter prior to moving i was completely sweltering, and had to do it in 'cool-down' breaks grin

grannypiper Tue 11-Aug-20 20:34:12

When i lived overseas 4 degrees was normal. I would air the house as soon as we got up, then after breakfast at 7a.m i would close the windows and shutters. before dinner at 6p.m i would turn the fans on in the children's bedrooms. If it was really hot i would fill the bath with cold water and place buckets of cold water in the bedrooms. Even filling a sink with cold water helps.

SueDonim Tue 11-Aug-20 20:19:46

Lizbethann55 it does work. The evaporation of the water from the towels reduces the air temperature. smile

Glenfinnan Tue 11-Aug-20 19:31:41

We bought air conditioning as DH has breathing problems made worse in hot weather. It was expensive as not used all that much but it’s given him peace of mind which is priceless.

craftyone Tue 11-Aug-20 18:26:35

it is working well today, I needed to be out and came home at 3, outside temperature was 32 and inside 24. I didn`t dare open any doors to outside until 6 and then I scurried through. The air temperature outside is still 31 on the shady side.

This weather can make people feel ill and definitely lethargic and that is a clue that we need to drink water, to make a point of doing that because the thirst mechanism gets weaker as we age, I don`t feel thirsty most of the time but I use a large sports bottle, so I am fairly aware that I am drinking. Its pertty obvious when we don`t need to go for a wee

Callistemon Tue 11-Aug-20 16:30:42

outside the windows?

Well, I'm not clambering up ladders to try! What do you fix them to, Grannyguitar?

Rowsie Tue 11-Aug-20 14:36:38

I was aware of this way to keep the house cool but we get so few sunny days (usually!) that I do not want to be inside a house with all the blinds/curtains drawn. It is depressing when the sun is shining brightly outside. I open all my windows when it is sunny and a breeze usually comes from the back to the front. I don't find that at all unpleasant.

Grannyguitar Tue 11-Aug-20 14:00:48

I hang white curtain linings outside the windows when the sun is on them. Neighbours think I have lost the plot, but it keeps heat from going through the double glazing. Once it starts to cool, off come the curtains, and I open all the windows to get air in. My house stays at a lovely cool temperature all day, so the neighbours can think what they please!

Lizbethann55 Tue 11-Aug-20 13:58:35

I am sure that I have read about hanging damp towels, sheets etc at open windows at night. Don't know if it works, but it might prove to be a good bug trap!

TrendyNannie6 Tue 11-Aug-20 13:06:12

My windows are open all the time, I have fans in the rooms that we go in, short of that I don’t do anything else, I don’t shut my curtains though

Tweedle24 Tue 11-Aug-20 13:01:48

I live in an upside down house. My sitting room, upstairs and facing due west, gets excessively hot. I do have blinds on the windows specifically to keep the sun out but, I do like the windows open.
Because we are surrounded by trees, the downstairs rooms get no sun. It is comfortable in my downstairs sewing room and my north facing bedroom is bliss in this hot weather,

angie3 Tue 11-Aug-20 12:26:57

Put, not plug. Predictive text ?

angie3 Tue 11-Aug-20 12:25:32

Afterthought...you can also plug a tray of ice in front of your fan. We used to do this for ITU patients to bring their temperatures down many years ago.

Christingle Tue 11-Aug-20 12:21:30

If you open both the back door and front door you get an amazing through draft that cools and is great to move stale air.

angie3 Tue 11-Aug-20 12:20:32

Amazes me that the Brits don’t close curtains and windows in hot weather. Having lived in Spain where it’s the norm, I always do. It amuses me when on programs like ‘a place in the sun’, people say that the windows are too small. It’s to keep the heat out or in depending on the season!

grandtanteJE65 Tue 11-Aug-20 12:08:52

We like the heat, so leave the windows open and the blinds pulled down.

It's a brick house, which is easy to keep cool.

rowyn Tue 11-Aug-20 12:01:51

Agree with discogran. And when in the (North facing - -still too hot) sitting room I often have my feet in a bowl of cold water along with a fan blowing!

SueDonim Tue 11-Aug-20 11:59:46

Nipsmum I’m in NE Scotland, too, and agree that overheating isn’t often a problem here! grin I do have one fan, though, as our sitting room gets very hot as it faces directly south. It can get too hot even in winter on a sunny day.

For those of you who are suffering with heat, a tip to use if you run a fan is to place a bowl of ice directly in front of the fan so the air blows over it. Or hang a damp sheet over an airer and let the fan blow through that. The evaporation helps reduce the room temperature.

It’s interesting to look at old buildings in the tropics, as they were built to account for the climate. The roofs have overhangs to prevent direct sun shining in. Rooms have high ceilings and there are gaps above each door and in the outside walls which draw the hot air and funnel it outside. When we lived in Indonesia I was fascinated to learn that on Bali it’s perfectly possibly to live without AC by careful positioning of buildings to catch breezes and utilising building methods as mentioned above.

Of course, they don’t have to later cope with freezing winters!

Rosina Tue 11-Aug-20 11:42:57

I love having every window open - whatever the weather as it seems unbearable to have the windows shut; currently I would feel trapped inside in the heat. We lower the blinds slightly to cut off the direct rays, but have the sashes open at the bottom to allow cooler air to come in. Optimistic at the moment I fear - today feels like living in pea soup. Better weather on Friday - and if anyone intimates that they are enjoying this I won't be responsbile for my actions. Melt down is close - in every sense.

jaylucy Tue 11-Aug-20 11:36:35

Lived in Australia for a number of years with no aircon so it's windows and curtains closed on the side of the house that the sun is shining and then open up later early evening. I must admit though that today I have a window open on the non sunny side of the house

nipsmum Tue 11-Aug-20 11:07:31

Overheated homes is rarely a problem in north east Scotland, but I'll keep all your tips in mind if the occasion arises.

Happysexagenarian Tue 11-Aug-20 10:54:09

I like to have some air circulating through the house during the day (especially as we have a dog) so I fling open every door, window and rooflight. All bedroom windows are left wide open all night (except on the coldest winter night), we have insect mesh on them so no moths, and we never close the curtains as it's very dark here. All the windows at the front of the house are on stairs, halls and landings so we don't often open them which must make our neighbours think we live in an airtight box! The coolest room in the house is the Utility. The living room stays fairly cool as its an internal room with no direct windows. I remember that my mother closed the curtains on hot days, I've never bothered and several of our windows don't have curtains. Isn't it ironic that we often complain about not having enough hot sunny weather and then when we do get it we shut it out!!

HannahLoisLuke Tue 11-Aug-20 10:21:52

I close windows and curtains on the south side during the day but open them on the north side. I've solved the problem of flies and moths coming in by hanging very cheap plain nets so even at night I can have my French doors open while I'm watching tv.