Gransnet forums

House and home

Big drawers (kitchen!) - advice needed

(58 Posts)
Northernlass Wed 16-Sep-20 12:04:42

Our kitchen needs a face lift. I would like to store everything that I have in a 1000mm wide unit in the same width deep drawers unit. This includes dinner plates etc (white Denby, so quite heavy). DH says it won't all fit. We have a small kitchen so I haven't got a lot of space to play with.
I've noticed in a friend's kitchen that the drawers aren't particularly stable (£ from Wren); my other friend who has used Wren, but £££, says her drawers are wooden and fantastic.
My creaky knees and back are making it a chore to get to the back of the cupboards!
Does any one have any advice? (apart from de-clutering, that is!).

handbaghoarder Thu 17-Sep-20 14:12:38

Yep. Drawers all the way. Have one extra wide set of 3 under the hob and Two standard size sets of 3 either side. They are quiet close, have glass fronts - hidden behind the unit door- and hold sooooo much. Wish I had chosen all drawers TBH. Love them

Grandmamaoftwo Thu 17-Sep-20 14:22:54

Our kitchen of 17 years has 2 sets of 3 drawers all 1000 wide, I've no idea what weight they hold but they're not showing any signs of stress.
The photo shows the amount of china in one drawer, the dinner plates are 8 high

Caro57 Thu 17-Sep-20 14:34:29

Just changing what cupboards I can into drawers (Homebase) - tired of standing on my head to find things at the back of cupboards! DD and SIL have drawers- different makes but both work well

Raingreene Thu 17-Sep-20 14:52:33

I have a 1000 wide set of three drawers...top one is cutlery etc...middle is dinnerware bottom is all saucepans...I’d say go for it...my dinnerware is Gordon Ramsay so it’s quite heavy like Denby...kitchen is 2 years old and haven’t had any problems.

Notagranny44 Thu 17-Sep-20 17:24:54

Northernlass Have you considered asking Hubby to fit baskets into some of the existing cupboards too? Ikea sliding wire baskets are reasonably priced and have been a blessing in my kitchen. I do not have any floorstanding units that do not have them and they make everything very accessible.

Scrappydo Thu 17-Sep-20 19:40:18

I have had a Wren kitchen fitted this year & I am very happy with the quality & size of their deep draws. Unfortunately I think they do not sell just one unit, unless it’s changed they have a minimum of three.

SpringyChicken Sat 19-Sep-20 23:20:15

Northernlass

Thanks everyone for the really helpful suggestions and taking the time to reply. It's great to hear users say the 1000mm wide drawers are sturdy.
SpringyChicken where did you get your kitchen? 55kg capacity sounds great; they must be very strong.

Northenlass, it's a Daval kitchen, made in Yorkshire. We went to a local kitchen supplier which happened to be a stockist for Daval. I'd never heard of them before but a friend recommended them.