Gransnet forums

House and home

Big drawers (kitchen!) - advice needed

(57 Posts)
Auntieflo Wed 16-Sep-20 13:05:54

Northernlass, have you considered asking a local cabinet maker/ carpenter, to make you a unit to your own design?

I understand that they can be as good value as something from a big supplier.

aggie Wed 16-Sep-20 13:05:50

I have three of these units , cutlery.. pots and pans ... baking tins under the hob .
One beside the sink has dishes and holds very heavy plates etc.
The third has all my baking stuff
I wanted one for cups and mugs but there wasn’t room .

fevertree Wed 16-Sep-20 13:00:29

I have an Ikea kitchen (still looking good after 15 years) and I have three deep drawers, one is used for pots and the other two for pans; and plates. I could do with one more for casserole dishes! I think you can buy Ikea units as stand-alone.

Willow500 Wed 16-Sep-20 12:54:27

I have a Wren kitchen with 3 wide drawers one of which is a deep pan drawer - its great and holds 2 full pan sets.

shysal Wed 16-Sep-20 12:17:11

I have one soft-close 600mm drawer unit, with a standard cutlery drawer and two deep pan drawers. They are fantastic! I use one for pots and pans and the other for casseroles and serving dishes, which are all heavy, and everything is easy to access. If I ever had a new kitchen I would have more of these drawers for plates and bowls.

Kirsty Allsop is a big fan, often mentioning pan drawers on her TV shows.
Good luck!

Northernlass Wed 16-Sep-20 12:08:31

Forgot to say that I only want to buy this unit - not a full kitchen! Do you think that may pose a problem? Current kitchen was made by DH and still looks good as it's bespoke and very original - and I'm not going to say how long ago it was!

Northernlass Wed 16-Sep-20 12:04:42

Our kitchen needs a face lift. I would like to store everything that I have in a 1000mm wide unit in the same width deep drawers unit. This includes dinner plates etc (white Denby, so quite heavy). DH says it won't all fit. We have a small kitchen so I haven't got a lot of space to play with.
I've noticed in a friend's kitchen that the drawers aren't particularly stable (£ from Wren); my other friend who has used Wren, but £££, says her drawers are wooden and fantastic.
My creaky knees and back are making it a chore to get to the back of the cupboards!
Does any one have any advice? (apart from de-clutering, that is!).