Gransnet forums

House and home

They have arrived! the 8 legged things! going to buy some peppermint oil/tea tree

(35 Posts)
bikergran Sat 19-Sep-20 08:50:00

I've had two so far, one of them actually beat me to the bottom of the stairs.shock

Going to find some peppermint/tea tree/lavender oil and put few drops around my windows etc. Will also collect come conkers.

bikergran Sat 19-Sep-20 21:20:10

Must admit I have had conkers around and not seen any sp***s.

I threw the ones away on kitchen window sill (conkers not spiders) since then I have had two, one that ran down the stairs and won me!! the other like an Olympic athlete running across the carpet. We are off conker hunting this week.

The little bottles of peppermint.tea tree oil seem to have disappeared from H n B .

Beauregard Sat 19-Sep-20 21:56:16

We've got one lurking in the bath at the moment. I put a few drops of water in there this morning in case it wanted a drink! Do they need to drink water often? I don't know. I've considered dangling a piece of string over the side, like a ladder, to help it climb out, but then I wouldn't want it to be free to come into my bedroom and menace me.

I couldn't kill them though. I scoop them up on a sheet of paper and tip them out of the window. Scary when they run towards my hand, but it has to be done.

blondenana Sun 20-Sep-20 00:22:17

I just got ready to get into bed 2 nights and and a spider ran up the bed ,i stuffed my pillow on top of it until i could get some tissue to grab it with,and luckily it was still there, i'm afraid it didn't live long,i had to get rid of down the toilet,
Blow me last night there was another one just sat on top of the covers,that went the same way
I always checheck me ceiling and walls every night, just in case, but this time they chose my bed
I did aplogise to them as i flushed the toilet, but no way was i getting in bed until i was sure they were gone
I will be checking every night now,cant bear spiders,they run too fast usually
Might try the peppermint oil i have some

Ramblingrose22 Sun 20-Sep-20 00:41:35

I don't mind spiders and have a superstition that killing them would bring bad luck. I don't know where the superstition comes from.

I believe they are quite thirsty creatures and that's why they often appear out of drains and plugholes.

I hate crane flies far more and the way they "dangle"! I keep windows and doors shut once it gets dark so they don't enter the house.

Aneweye Thu 22-Oct-20 10:39:22

I have one living happily in my office, every now and then he/she will appear. First time I saw it, thought a mouse had got in there, it’s a biggie alright. I just leave them too it, make sure I don’t tread on it etc...
I’ll pick it up when I can, without hurting it, it’ll happily sit on my hand/arm and is actually quite impressive.
We’ll always have them along side us, so I just accept them.
BTW I was scared of spiders when younger, but got over it after a bit of effort.

Blossoming Thu 22-Oct-20 10:45:28

Just ignore them.

Callistemon Thu 22-Oct-20 10:50:35

Blossoming

Just ignore them.

But they're not toilet trained and they poo everywhere after they've had their dinner of flies.

Greyduster Thu 22-Oct-20 11:08:17

My late brother in law, a builder, always said “Never live in a house that doesn’t have spiders.” No, I don’t know why either!

Sparklefizz Thu 22-Oct-20 11:34:02

Peppermint Oil and also an essential oils sp*der repellent spray (both from Amazon) have worked wonders in my house this year. I am phobic and have so many other health things to deal with that I don't want to hear that I should be doing something about my phobia - I have enough to do!

I use the essential oils spray areas I can't easily reach, and I dab a couple of drops of the peppermint oil on a cotton wool ball in corners that I can reach. So far, so good. I can recommend them and my house smells lovely!