Gransnet forums

House and home

Laminate, vinyl flooring for Living room - All and any advice pelase

(32 Posts)
Franbern Mon 28-Sep-20 14:34:41

I live in a first floor flat. All of ground floor are garages so no-one living beneath me. I want to have the carpets that were in there when I moved in taken up and a nice, easy to clean, good to look at golden oak colour flooring put down in my large living room and hallway. Would also like some sort of border around the edges. About 44 m2 in the Living/Dining room and a further 8 m2 in the hallway.

I know I will need, probably a 5cms underlay as we have concrete floors. I have had in a previous house a gorgeous Amtico floor in my through lounge, this was done for me some 15 years ago.

When I look I am totally confused between Vinyl and Laminate. Do not understand what is the difference? Prices also seem to vary enormously - from something like £13 M2 to £45 m2. I am not looking at doing any of this myself - lots of things I look at seem to just want me to purchase the boxes of something to take home with me. Will need a company that does the whole thing, measuring for me, advising me, taking up old carpet, etc. etc.

So, any advice would be really gratefully received. Hoping to get this done late winter/early spring and am hoping the whole job of 52 sq m can be within a approx budget of three grand.

JackyB Tue 29-Sep-20 09:38:55

I would have the opposite argument re vinyl which is laid all in one piece versus laminate which is laid in individual panels.

Unless you are absolutely sure you will never have any spills or leaks, I would advise against the laminate as even a real wood veneer is mounted on a base of chipboard and this will swell up if water gets into the join.

We have this problem. However, it probably wouldn't apply in your case because it is mainly caused by rain getting in through the patio doors if they are inadvertently left open.

A vinyl covering would not have any joins, and spills can just be wiped off.

Swings and roundabouts.

Daisymae Tue 29-Sep-20 11:09:43

We have engineered wood in the hall and dining room. It is wood layer with a finish that is quite easy to maintain. In fact it has been down for 10 years and all I do is mop it. I used to use a steam mop but lately have a microfibre one which does the job in no time.

Franbern Tue 29-Sep-20 12:00:51

Oh dear, even more confused than ever. I know with my Amtico floor had to be careful if there was a fluid spillage - to mop up quickly. I found this so easy to keep clean, just sweep most of the time, with the very occasional mop over with Amtico's own floor cleaner.
I do have vinyl in both my bathroom and en-suite and kitchen and they are lovely and easy to keep clean and warm underfoot. I would never have the very expensive tiles, that were laid in my en-suite at the house, which were so cold to walk on in the winter, that I had to keep a special pair of mules next to them for when I used it in the night AND they cracked easily if anything fell on them.

I am really taking note of all your comments on here and will keep them in mind when I start to trawl around the shops for this flooring. I do have a patio door opening onto my large patio balcony - but as the much smaller balcony of the flat directly above me overhangs this, I have never had an rain come in through it.
There is only me living here, and although I do have visits from g.children, none of them are very young. Obviously, part of my living room is the dining area, so there are the occasional spills from the table there, but do not think I really need to take those into consideration.

I have a very querky shaped room ( think the architecture to these flats had some weird ideas or he was on something (mid-80's). He quite obviously did not approve of any room being just four straight walls. Does make it all very interesting!!!! I really would like something which can have a border all around the Living room if possible, and do not think that vinyl sheets would be able to cater for that.

Jaxjacky Tue 29-Sep-20 12:38:20

Franbern wishing you luck and thank you, your post has spurred me into action. New kitchen being fitted in November, so just made an appointment to have that measured, also l, room, hall stairs and landing (for carpet). I was erring towards vinyl for the kitchen/diner, much to husband chagrin, he’s a ceramic tiler! So your post has helped me too.

Elizabeth1 Tue 29-Sep-20 16:56:42

Think I’ll have to grit my teeth and go looking and feeling floor coverings there’s so many designs and textures these days. Something easy to clean seeing as how we’ve taken in a lodger and her wee doggy who likes a quiet moment wink in one of our rooms when she locks herself in.

MissAdventure Tue 29-Sep-20 17:59:35

I have laminate, but now wish I had gone for vinyl.
There are some beautiful ones around, which look like real wood.