Gransnet forums

House and home

Laminate, vinyl flooring for Living room - All and any advice pelase

(31 Posts)
Willow500 Mon 28-Sep-20 15:17:16

Sorry forgot to add we had ours laid by Carpetright's fitter - he did an excellent job. I would think 3k should be adequate. Maybe get some quotes from different carpet shops.

Willow500 Mon 28-Sep-20 15:14:58

We have vinyl laminate in the bathrooms which is very like ordinary laminate but obviously more suitable for bathrooms and kitchens. We have wood laminate in our very large through lounge and I love it - it's so easy to clean. As you have no one beneath you it shouldn't be a problem with noise (my husband lived in a flat below a lady with a zimmer frame and the noise was pretty bad).

Furret Mon 28-Sep-20 15:07:31

I’m not a fan of laminate, I prefer Amtico or Karndean, but there is one advantage especially in the newer ones - they can have built in underlay which will absorb any noises from underneath, from the garages.

Pantglas2 Mon 28-Sep-20 14:48:05

We did ours in solid oak 12 years ago for £20 per sq m, when B&Q had it on offer (+10% off Wednesday!) with DH hiring a proper saw for a couple of days.

Prices in Wickes now around £40 sq m so add on 2 days labour for a good carpenter and it should come in on £3000 with underlay/trim

Well worth doing as it’s warm under foot even in winter although I put a large rug down in the sitting room around November-March to give the room a ‘hygge’ feel!

Doodledog Mon 28-Sep-20 14:46:35

Amtico will do it all for you, from estimating the amount needed to the fitting.

I think that vinyl flooring is sold by the roll, whereas laminate is more solid and sold in planks or tiles - like wooden flooring, but made of laminate (and I'm not sure exactly what that is, but it is cheaper, and washable grin ).

I think that if you go to a store like JL, there will be someone who can advise about underlay and so on, and will organise a fitter for you, although it will probably cost more than a local one.

Another alternative is to ask for recommendations on your local Facebook page if there is one. Most towns have one - the sort of place where people discuss missing cats and moan about parking.

Franbern Mon 28-Sep-20 14:34:41

I live in a first floor flat. All of ground floor are garages so no-one living beneath me. I want to have the carpets that were in there when I moved in taken up and a nice, easy to clean, good to look at golden oak colour flooring put down in my large living room and hallway. Would also like some sort of border around the edges. About 44 m2 in the Living/Dining room and a further 8 m2 in the hallway.

I know I will need, probably a 5cms underlay as we have concrete floors. I have had in a previous house a gorgeous Amtico floor in my through lounge, this was done for me some 15 years ago.

When I look I am totally confused between Vinyl and Laminate. Do not understand what is the difference? Prices also seem to vary enormously - from something like £13 M2 to £45 m2. I am not looking at doing any of this myself - lots of things I look at seem to just want me to purchase the boxes of something to take home with me. Will need a company that does the whole thing, measuring for me, advising me, taking up old carpet, etc. etc.

So, any advice would be really gratefully received. Hoping to get this done late winter/early spring and am hoping the whole job of 52 sq m can be within a approx budget of three grand.