Gransnet forums

House and home

Mystery 'slime'on chopping boards

(58 Posts)
singingnutty Mon 28-Sep-20 22:07:36

This is a rather embarrassing request! We have noticed on a few occasions that, overnight, wooden chopping boards left on kitchen work tops have what looks like slug trails crisscrossing them. There is no sign of any insect, rodent or slug presence anywhere in the kitchen. In fact, our kitchen is only recently installed and very clean. The boards have been well cleaned and only used for chopping vegetables and bread. We have a lot of spiders - not sure how they get in! - but I can't imagine how these trails could be made by them. Please can anyone help? We are puzzled and somewhat upset! It doesn't happen every night.

Oopsadaisy4 Tue 29-Sep-20 20:30:32

When I threw away a Basil plant from a supermarket that had been on our window sill, I took it out of the pot, in the soil at the bottom were 2 slugs.
Yuk , yuk, no more herbs in the kitchen!

Whiff Wed 30-Sep-20 08:16:33

Did you know Dulux have a colour called snail trail. It's a nice pale grey. But decided to go with frosted steel.

sodapop Wed 30-Sep-20 08:46:14

I can understand that Whiff whoever thought that was a good name for a colour smile

Lizbethann55 Wed 30-Sep-20 14:14:24

We had a terrible problem with slugs in the kitchen. Apart from slug trails in the morning there was no sign of them, but if I came down during the night there were often a few crawling around. They were disgusting! Very pale and ghostly looking., Fortunately for us we were having a lot of building work being done in the kitchen, including new units. Stripping out the old ones and replastering allnthe walls, seems to have solved the problem. But that is a slightly extreme solution.

MawB2 Wed 30-Sep-20 16:14:46

We used to live in a 300+ year old farmhouse.
Friends were due to come up from London once for Sunday lunch and I was horrified to fling open the sitting room door (tidied the night before and no children allowed in ) to find slug trails cross crossing the dark brown carpet.
Not the best advertisement for the joys of country living.

MawB2 Wed 30-Sep-20 19:20:39

Bumping this up as it appears to have suffered the usual fate of threads I contribute to - killed stone dead!

Debs551964 Thu 01-Oct-20 02:38:49

Do you own a cat or dog? I've found my cat carry them in on his under belly ? (he's a big ginger Tom cat and as you've probably all guessed his belly is rather low to the ground ????)..... Slugs make me feel sick. Can't bear the blighters ?