Gransnet forums

House and home

Sale fallen through

(72 Posts)
Luckygirl Tue 06-Oct-20 10:22:07

Just do not know what to do. Since my OH died in February I had set my heart on moving 2 villages away to be back with my friends. House selected and offer accepted. My own sale fell through a couple of times due to coronavirus; but a buyer was found and all was proceeding - albeit slowly, while the solicitors mucked about.

This morning I am told that my buyers have lost their buyer - I am beyond furious as I was told that my buyers were in a position to proceed or I would not have agreed to the sale.

The builder of the new property that I was to buy has been champing at the bit to get the sale completed. I do not blame him.

Agents have asked if I want to put my property back on the market or give the failed buyers a chance to get another buyer for their place (grrr.....I did not even know that this was their position).

I have told them I cannot decide that until they see where the builder stands - if he is going to sell it to someone else, then that decides it for me.

Or do I just throw in the towel and give up.? I seriously do not want to stay here - too many truly dreadful memories.

Framilode Sun 25-Oct-20 18:47:10

It's such a tough time for you at the moment Lucky. I am hoping that you can come through this and that there are better times ahead. Thinking of you with fingers crossed.

Hetty58 Sun 25-Oct-20 19:04:35

This buying and selling business is all too much.

We had people drop out at the last minute (following mystery delays) as their own buyers had let them down. We got some new buyers very quickly though. Still, it was eight months all in.

Meanwhile, we didn't hold out much hope of still getting this place. We were lucky, as the seller held on - despite having a bridging loan and living in their new place.

When I move, I'm selling first, then renting while I look for my next place.

Scribbles Sun 25-Oct-20 19:12:03

Luckygirl, I was so sorry to read your post. You absolutely don't need this sort of stress right now. I can't add anything to advice that's already been offered except to say, remember, you are paying the EA. They are working for you so please don't accept any nonsense from them. If you say 'jump', their task is to ask 'how high?'
Sending sympathetic hugs and good wishes.

Oldbat1 Sun 25-Oct-20 19:31:31

We got so utterly fed up with buyers/sellers and estate agents. We “sold” our house 5times and agreed to “buy” 3times none of which completed! Decided to sell house first and go into rented. Refused to let anyone look at our house who hadn’t already sold, we also refused to be in a chain situation, and insisted buyers had evidence that mortgage was in place. It all worked out! Sold to second viewing. Took a rented house. Found our current house with no chain at all. All done within 4months and a 400miles move.

Shandy57 Sun 25-Oct-20 19:54:02

Good to catch up Luckygirl, keeping everything crossed your buyer pulls it out of the bag in time. My late husband's saying was 'Everything will be alright in the end, if it's not alright, it's not the end'. I hope both of us are in for a good ending soon.

Franbern Mon 26-Oct-20 11:41:40

I do think that with the current system in England, it can get rid of a lot of stress if it is possible just to sell your home and move into a rented place to wait appropriate time to buy. Also, then does put you in a strong position as a purchaser, as it really is a cash purchase, and no chain behind you.
However, this is not always a possibility. Was not so for me - I had to go through the horrible system of finalising the sale and purchase on the same day.

Really do not understand why the Scottish system cannot be extended to cover England and Wales. Why is this always opposed by the government? Cannot think that anyone benefits from it.
But, Luckygirl hang in there, although a horrible time, it can work out so well at the end. I know, easy to say looking backwards - but it is true.

Franbern Mon 26-Oct-20 11:44:44

WOW!!! Finding it difficult to believe - but it now a year ago that I made this move - well, tomorrow actually, but today in 2019 the packers were in my house, and my son and eldest daughter were trying to keep me calm. I slept that night at my daughters and came down here on the Tuesday.

Obviously, no way could I have, even in my widest dreams, had any idea what a strange and surreal year it has turned out - but so very pleased that it did happen then as there is no doubt I have been so much more settled and happier here in this flat that I would have been over the past months back in my house.

GrannySomerset Tue 27-Oct-20 09:16:26

So sorry to hear that Luckygirl is having such a rotten time and wish there was something we could say to help. After all the tribulations of recent years it is hardly surprising that the body reacts, and just when you need to keep going. Your daughters are obviously a great tribute to their upbringing, and there will be light at the end of the tunnel - just not easy to believe in.

midgey Tue 27-Oct-20 09:39:32

Luckygirl you must be livid. flowers

Teetime Tue 27-Oct-20 09:40:22

lucky I am so sorry you are in this position I do know what its like I am there too waiting and waiting for buyer No3 to get his mortgage offer finalised. Its excruciating. DH and I gave each other a massive pep talk at the weekend and have come up with Plan Z but its definitely taking it toll on our health. I hope both of us get some good news soon. Best wishes. flowers

2420mags Tue 27-Oct-20 10:09:12

Keep going. My next door neighbour's husband died after a battle with MS lasting 10yrs. It was awful and 6 months after she put the bungalow on the market. Sold the first week but it took 2 years because someone up the chain had problems on several occasions. She had cash buyers who kept the faith because they so wanted the house and in the circumstances did not to want to pressurise. EA lived up to their stereotype and my neighbour delivered an ultimatum giving an end date ane if not to be the house was being pulled off the market. magically things moved. She lost the bungalow she wanted but her new one was in a better location and living with her daughter for a short time ment she could get it exactly as she wanted it. There is a funny end to the story. When they were moving in it turns out the new people were the parents of one of my son's house masters. Luckily it was one whom he got on with else they would have had to move!!

Luckygirl Tue 27-Oct-20 10:09:46

Thank you for kind good wishes.

My very sensible DD pointed out to me that I became depressed before when I was on bisoprolol for my atrial fibrillation - I had forgotten that. So I have stopped it to see what happens. No AF so far - fingers crossed.

No word on the house at all. The kind builder is not hassling me at the moment. I have been feeling so unwell that it is all washing by me at the moment.

Jane10 Tue 27-Oct-20 10:20:28

I've been following your postings Luckygirl. You certainly could do with a big dollop of good luck. The new place sounded so ideal. Seems like the builder is a decent sort. Fingers crossed all goes well in the end and you'll not only feel brighter but be much better and happier all round.

Callistemon Tue 27-Oct-20 10:27:23

I hope it all goes through smoothly, Luckygirl, with no more hitches.

Sometimes medication can have unfortunate side effects. Is there an alternative your GP could prescribe for you? It may be with enquiring.

flowers

Callistemon Tue 27-Oct-20 10:27:44

Worth enquiring

Luckygirl Wed 28-Oct-20 11:46:37

Callistemon - I will be talking to GP on Friday when he rings me back and will discuss what to do.

Just had email conversation with estate agent and he says it could be months while my buyers sort their end out, as their buyers and their buyers' buyers have to get searches etc. done.

Callistemon Wed 28-Oct-20 13:28:35

Could your agent persuade the cash buyers to offer more?

Sometimes it's as well to take a lower offer than to lose the property you want to buy, if it doesn't put you in difficulty.
We had a cash offer for our last house, then two higher offers but accepted the cash offer as we needed to move in a hurry. That was many years ago and the cash offer was not that much lower than the others.

Teetime Wed 28-Oct-20 14:29:27

Ah buyer No 3 has had his mortgage finalised BUT the Building Society put the wrong figures on it! So we have to wait for it to be re-issued. Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.

sparklingsilver28 Wed 28-Oct-20 15:10:21

In 2018, aged 80, and in ill-health I put my house in Hertfordshire on the market expecting a quick sale. Like you Luckygirl had already reserved a new build near my family 300 miles away. Had an offer almost immediately but that fell through buyer lost his job. Along came a housing association representing a London Borough Council, and told by my Estate Agent, selling to them would be simple straight forward and quick. It was any thing but!

My solicitor couldn't get answers from the buyers solicitor whom he claimed were wide-boys. It soon became self evident the buyer looking to attempt to buy at knock-down prices. Wanted some 300 houses in order to move tenants out of the London borough to reduce housing benefit costs. And not the end of it, in all it took eight months - how I survived I do not know.

Luckygirl Wed 28-Oct-20 16:18:11

I feel a bit like that at the moment. I cannot afford to accept the cash buyer and they will not up their offer.

Even if I did accept another buyer they would have to go through the whole survey/searches palaver which has already taken months. At least I know that my existing buyers are genuine and have accepted the survey findings on my bungalow. The hold up is THEIR new buyers who have to do surveys and searches on their property; and their buyers who have to do the same. It is a right merry-go-round.

Callistemon Wed 28-Oct-20 17:11:45

It's really putting me off moving.