Gransnet forums

House and home

Recycling egg boxes....

(31 Posts)
MayBee70 Tue 27-Oct-20 18:26:39

Can anyone explain to me why you can recycle the cardboard from loo rolls but not eggs cartons? I used to take my egg boxes to a local farm but I don’t think they need them any more. I hate putting things into the bin to go to landfill. I’ve actually got a dustbin bag full of them but every time I go to put it in the bin I bring it back in again. I suppose there are worse things going into landfill but it still bothers me.

MayBee70 Wed 28-Oct-20 15:19:41

I’m going to get a wormer.I had one years ago but it didn’t work. I put tiger worms in it and I opened it one day and it was like opening a tin of spaghetti hoops. I just ended up with a vile mushy mess and lots of worms. Which is the best one to buy?

Patsy70 Thu 29-Oct-20 16:08:34

Years ago I had a Wiggly Wigglers wormery, bought for my birthday by my son, and I was delighted with it. Instructions come with the product, but you need to use composting worms.
I also have a collection of egg boxes, as I used to buy from a local smallholder, who stopped selling eggs during the lockdown. I will see if there is another one locally.

MayBee70 Thu 29-Oct-20 16:14:33

What a great present. That’s the sort of present I like to get.

rubysong Thu 29-Oct-20 19:07:24

I have a Can O Worms, bought years ago when our council had them as special offers. I have just bought one the same for DS2's birthday. It takes quite a long time (years) to get much worm compost from it but I do get the liquid to use as fertiliser.

Stansgran Thu 29-Oct-20 19:26:54

My milkman,a farmer , takes any egg boxes back. Proper recycling