Gransnet forums

House and home

Residental park homes

(71 Posts)
GlammakAz59 Wed 28-Oct-20 08:52:16

Hello do any gransnet members live in a park home? Or know any pros or cons on moving into one please? as this is something i am thinking about doing.

Saggi Thu 29-Oct-20 09:17:08

Glammak. Why not considering just buying a smaller ‘bricks-and-mortar’ home... have you looked into that. My friend bought a park home about three years ago....she has 9 grandchildren...who when they visit , can’t play out , and so the parents can’t stay very long, as one of her daughters is responsible for 5 of the 9! 5 kids in on two bed groomed park home is a recipe for chaos. She can no longer ‘do’ Xmas for them like she used to either ,(although that’s maybe a blessing). Think hard about your real circumstances , and about your future needs. I wouldnt do it! But thankfully we’re not all the same. By the way nor would my friend have brought it only her husbands job provided a ‘tied’ cottage , and after 25 years he was made redundant . Their savings would buy a static home outright but at 55+ in age they couldn’t get a mortgage for a even small house. All very sad for them.

Americanpie Thu 29-Oct-20 09:19:10

I live almost next to a park that is both holiday and residential.
The caravans and lodges are , in the main, separately located. A few are freehold but the vast majority are not, these residents just pay council tax, band A and have to cut their own grass. The park fees currently for a three bed roomed lodge are £3500 per year which most people pay monthly, this fee increases every year with inflation. It covers site maintenance, security and use of the leisure facilities all year round. All parks vary so it is important to check out the details. Good luck.

Pinkrinse Thu 29-Oct-20 09:43:54

My aunt lived I. A mobile home and it suited her. It was small warm and cosy she could get about on her motorised scooter and had neighbours around all the time.

Callistemon Thu 29-Oct-20 09:58:01

Saggi the one my relative owns has a reasonably sized garden and her grandchildren play out, weather permitting; in fact they brought joy to the neighbour too who had dementia. Her park home is as large as many local bungalows.

boodymum67 Sat 31-Oct-20 14:09:37

Cuppaful...that`s a very interesting point you made re the council don't take the home for funding if you go into a care home.....mmmm thanks.

boodymum67 Sat 31-Oct-20 15:20:14

This is a favourite subject of mine, so I`ve been googling....wow! they are not cheap.....but quite lovely!

henetha Sun 01-Nov-20 11:40:36

Mine was cheap. It was second hand. It's worth checking out estate agents for second hand ones.

Nannarose Sun 01-Nov-20 12:33:22

I live in a quiet, rather out-of-the-way rural area, and they are very popular here - all of the different kinds mentioned. As terms are used fairly freely, I think the important advice is to look very carefully at the terms and conditions of the one you are considering - and around here, many of the sites are 'mixed'.
We have 2 recent developments with the following:
can be main residence, ground rent / maintenance fees capped (but of course, change of ownership sometimes invalidates that),
solar thermal & photovoltaic cells for power (this is owned by the management company, but residents get the benefit during the day)
good insulation
they are very well laid out, access to nature reserves and really lovely.
A covered 'meeting' is usually used for BBQs but has meant folk can gather for 'outdoor' coffee

ALT57 Mon 02-Nov-20 10:51:09

I am afraid you will have to take into account care home fees
as you can be forced to sell the mobile home towards fees

www.housingcare.org/downloads/kbase/3161.pdf

boodymum67 Wed 04-Nov-20 14:05:19

Thanks for telling us this ALT57. I believed an earlier comment about park homes not being counted if you go into care homes.

As someone who needs care, I was interested.

I clicked on the link and yeh, you`re right. Thankyou x

Callistemon Wed 04-Nov-20 15:25:15

I thought it would be just like any other home but I wasn't sure. A relative may have to do this soon but thanks for clarifying ALT57

JackK Fri 06-May-22 21:29:28

I'm about to sell up, due to noisy neighbours ... and have set my heart on a residential park home; this thread has really helped me!

Nannarose Fri 06-May-22 22:06:23

JackK - thank you for letting us know that this was a helpful thread. Co-incidentally, I was just talking to a friend who lives in a park home and we covered some of the issues raised here. She is in her 80s and illness is making her frail, but her home is easy to keep nice, well insulated (not all are) and her neighbours friendly & helpful, so she is very glad to be in one.

ShropshireMiss Fri 06-May-22 22:22:08

I keep toying with the idea of buying a park home just for use at the weekends.
I read people making a distinction between a park home and a holiday park lodge, with greater rights and security for the park home compared to the holiday park lodge.
Could I buy a park home, but just stat at weekends, so treating it in effect as a holiday home.
I’m finding the distinction between park home and holiday park a bit confusing,

JackK Sat 07-May-22 07:24:09

@Nannarose it's been inspiring!
Does anyone live on the Orchard Farm park in Elton, Cheshire? It would be even more useful to see some recommendations for parks, as I'm not sure where to go. I'm quite flexible, but would prefer Cheshire or Shropshire - Lancashire at a push - needs to be pet friendly (I have one beloved cat) and within a reasonable distance to doctors surgery, vets etc

Shinamae Sat 07-May-22 10:58:17

This is lovely and in a fabulous location but for that price I would rather have bricks and mortar…

ShropshireMiss Sat 07-May-22 11:03:13

This is something I am interested in. Could I buy a park home as a second home, but just use it as a weekend getaway? In effect using it as a holiday home. Or is it a condition that of purchase that you have to use it as your main home? Is there a big price difference between a holiday lodge on a holiday park, and a park home on a park home site?

Nannarose Sat 07-May-22 11:27:36

ShropshireMiss - I think the terms are used in quite varying ways by different sites and sales reps.
What I have gathered from friends is 'don't get confused by the different terms, look at each one individually and see what the conditions are'.

Smileless2012 Sat 07-May-22 11:37:22

If you buy on a holiday park as opposed to residential you must provide proof of a permanent address. You can stay in your holiday home as often and for as long as you wish, but of course wont be able to be there if the park is closed.

The site where we have our lodge is open for 11 months of the year but there many that close for 3 or 4 months a year. Some are open for the full 12 months but you still need a permanent address.

If you buy on a residential site, that becomes your permanent home but if you want a holiday home, I suggest you do some research on the site fees. Residential site fees tend to be quite a bit more so if you want a holiday home, a holiday park may be better financial alternative.

ShropshireMiss Sat 07-May-22 12:29:50

Not too far from me there is a (rathe tasteless) Dallas Southfork ranch style huge newly built mansion set in some land. I think it might be owned by a footballer. Right behind the mansion there is an area of land crammed with lots of park homes, they are appear to be residential rather than holiday. I think the people who own the mansion own this park home site. When I drive past it always seems a bit feudal, like the lord in the mansion and the peasants or serfs in the little park homes.