Gransnet forums

House and home

South Devon living Dilemma

(37 Posts)
Netty13 Sun 15-Nov-20 11:29:17

Apologies in advance for my long post. I have a few questions and I am hoping your comments will provide some clarity to my muddled-mind! confused

I want to move to South Devon. I thought I had narrowed this to the triangle of Ivybridge, Ashburton, Kingsbridge. I have discovered you more 'bang for your buck' in Newton Abbot, and Highweek looks interesting. Properties also have some gorgeous views there. Does anyone have any comments or experience living here as opposed to the areas I have mentioned.

What is really important to me is meeting people interested in organic gardening, community growing initiatives, sewing, textiles. I have discovered a few projects which would be around 30-45 minute drive. Would this journey be a pain with holiday traffic etc in the summer time?

Also wondering if it would be better to live closer to new friends who share my interests (does that make sense?)

My other passion, and main reason for moving is walking on Dartmoor and the coast. (Torbay won't appear on my wish-list.)

My budget is £350k-£375k. A garden is important and in my dreams a west facing garden!!! wink

henetha Sun 15-Nov-20 11:46:18

Hi Netty. I'm in south Devon, a few miles from Newton Abbot, near the moors. It's the pefect location if you want to be on the moors quickly. Newton Abbot is a pleasant market town with plenty going on (not at the moment of course)
I can be on the moors in ten minutes, and am only half an hour drive from Teignmouth. And it's easy to get to Exeter.
Property in Torquay is cheaper, but it's such a crowded town in the summer and traffic is dreadful. So best avoided.
I think your budget would find you a nice property in the Newton Abbot area. The south Hams (Kingsbridge) is more expensive, but lovely, and it's much further to get to the moors. Wishing you good luck in your search.

Atqui Sun 15-Nov-20 12:09:21

Personally I dislike Newton Abbot as a town. If you want to walk on Dartmoor youd be better off in Bovey Tracey which would also provide like minded craft people, or Ivybridge which is ideally situated between coast and moors and more for your money, and not far from The “alternative “ town Totnes ( expensive)

Whitewavemark2 Sun 15-Nov-20 12:11:54

We lived in South Devon for about 7 years in South Brent which is technically on the moors and about 5 miles from Ashburton.

Glorious walking from there.

I would have thought you would find plenty for your budget there.

faringdon59 Sun 15-Nov-20 12:49:27

Hi, I have a friend who moved to Salcombe 3 years ago from Wiltshire.
I have been down once to visit and the South Hams area is beautiful.
Kingsbridge is lovely, but you need to be fit to deal with the hills and the roads locally I found a bit unnerving, but maybe that was just me.

TerriBull Sun 15-Nov-20 13:35:24

Having visited the South Hams area on a couple of occasions it's spectacularly beautiful I can quite see the attraction. Salcombe, where we stayed has quite a number of second homers and from what I've read and heard it has a shut up feel about it out of season.

Good luck with where ever you decide to go OP.

Atqui Sun 15-Nov-20 14:36:33

Salcombe is extremely expensive and a ghost town in winter. It’s also a long way from the moors.

Charleygirl5 Sun 15-Nov-20 14:57:04

I do not want to put a downer on your move but wherever you move to must be able to accommodate you when you can no longer drive and walking is difficult.

You need to be near shops, supermarkets, doctor, dentist and preferably a local hospital.

Nezumi65 Sun 15-Nov-20 18:47:49

Ivybridge is right on the moors - I sometimes park at the train station when I walk. Also lovely pool etc. Really liveable place. Not overrun by tourists.

Also check out moorhaven - not much for sale there at the moment though.

Nonogran Sun 15-Nov-20 19:53:32

Hello Netty, I think Totnes would suit you very well & your budget is likely to be enough to find a place. Ashburton & Buckfastleigh worth consideration too.
There are so many places to choose from, you will be spoilt for choice!
Some towns have dedicated Facebook pages. You can ask questions thereon & ask for advice too.
Good luck with your search.

SpringyChicken Sun 15-Nov-20 22:22:09

Ashburton and Ivybridge, being on the south of the moor, tend to have higher rainfall than Newton Abbot. Ashburton on average has 4 inches more rain per annum than Newton Abbot and slightly lower average temperature.

Callistemon Sun 15-Nov-20 22:42:46

I'd suggest Bovey Tracey too, inland is cheaper than the coast.
The coastal towns and South Hams get busy with tourists too so somewhere within reach of the coast but right next to the moors would be my choice.

Callistemon Sun 15-Nov-20 22:44:35

Also check out moorhaven
I hadn't realised that the old hospital had been converted into flats until I saw it on Escape to the Country.

Netty13 Sun 15-Nov-20 23:06:48

Is the rainfall in South Brent as notoriously high as is reported?!

Netty13 Sun 15-Nov-20 23:10:27

Gosh that's a big difference in rainfall and temps. Thank you for highlighting. ?

Callistemon Sun 15-Nov-20 23:15:16

And, believe it or not, South Brent and Newton Abbott both have considerably less annual rainfall than Sydney, which everyone thinks of as endlessly sunny.

Juliet27 Sun 15-Nov-20 23:22:55

Valid point Charleygirl15

SpringyChicken Mon 16-Nov-20 07:50:48

I’d avoid Morehaven as it has no facilities. Just a pub in the village and a car would be essential.

SpringyChicken Mon 16-Nov-20 07:52:49

Sorry, Moorhaven not Morehaven.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 16-Nov-20 07:54:52

Callistemon

^Also check out moorhaven^
I hadn't realised that the old hospital had been converted into flats until I saw it on Escape to the Country.

My cousin worked as a nurse in Moorhaven.

Living in South Brent for 7 years I can certainly remember a good deal of rain, but also it was during that very hot summer which was glorious.

We used to swim in the river near the dam when we didn’t have time to go to the coast.

Ashcombe Mon 16-Nov-20 08:07:00

I know you don’t want to move to Torbay, Netty13, but you might want to consider renting a property here (plenty of choice) whilst you explore other local towns with a view to buying a house. In its favour, we have a reliable, frequent bus service, good hospital and excellent entertainment, both professional and amateur as well as various hobby groups. Traffic is heavy in the summer months but the new Kingskerswell bypass has helped to reduce congestion considerably.
Besides owning a flat in Babbacombe, I also have a holiday home on the edge of Dartmoor to which I escape regularly. It’s near Okehampton, another town worth considering.
I wish you luck with your plans. An exciting venture!

Fuchsiarose Mon 16-Nov-20 08:42:11

Newton Abbott is quite hilly in parts. Chudleigh is very nice, as is Ipplepen, because I like villages. Bovey Tracy , and Totnes, and Abbottskerwell. Most of the South Hams has higher house prices.. Ivybridge and Tavistock have good roads to get to the moors or Cornwall. Plymouth has a good shopping centre

Ellianne Mon 16-Nov-20 09:28:33

Devon is heaven wherever you decide. But then I am biased.
I dont like Newton Abbot much. It feels like a passing through town and I always get held up the roads in and out. You do get quite a lot for your money there.
Personally I prefer the Okehampton side, especially Chagford. And there is a Waitrose there which speaks volumes! Close to Exeter for hospital etc but lovely itself for walks, cafés, pubs, craft places etc.

Ashcombe Mon 16-Nov-20 09:34:16

Good advice, Fuchsiarose, especially about Tavistock, which has a splendid indoor market and beautiful old buildings, too.

Atqui Mon 16-Nov-20 10:16:18

I love Tavistock but if you need to get a train anywhere it’s quite a treck to Plymouth or Exeter Lovely for the moors and North Devon / Cornish coast .Also wet!!! Of course, we don’t know your situation Netty, you may well be one of those younger grans who is not thinking about being a non driver yet! Be warned though- at the moment prices have gone up , and attractive properties are being snapped up . I speak from personal experience right now.