Gransnet forums

House and home

Help me to fall in love with my

(84 Posts)
vickymeldrew Wed 18-Nov-20 13:57:58

Denby dinner service.
When I got married 51 years ago, I was given a Denby pottery dinner service as a wedding present.
I find it heavy and clunky and the plates and bowls squeak on contact with cutlery.
Denby is still very popular : what am I missing?
I’m on the verge of donating it to a charity shop but am willing to give it another try and see if I can get on with it.
Advice please.

Iam64 Wed 18-Nov-20 14:02:52

You can sell it on eBay. It's very popular with young people in their 30's evidently. Of course, they have strong hands and wrists. I loved my Denby Mayflower in the 70's but I couldn't life it out the cupboard these day.

Nurse60 Wed 18-Nov-20 14:06:25

I had a similar problem when I relocated following retirement. I decided to donate my dinner service to charity and enjoyed the pleasure of replacing it with vintage finds in antique / charity shops. This way, if any item breaks I just replace it. None of it matches but it all co ordinates and its up cycling too. I also felt, for me, it was time to move on and create a new way of entertaining guests.

Jane10 Wed 18-Nov-20 14:17:58

Denby Gypsy was my 'wedding china' and the dratted stuff is still good as new 43 years on! It weighs a ton. I saw a huge set of Denby Gypsy being sold recently for £5. sad

SueDonim Wed 18-Nov-20 14:20:46

I’ve just replaced my 30yo Denby with some plain white China from M&S. The Denby isn’t going far, though - one of my daughters has laid claim to it! ?

MiniMoon Wed 18-Nov-20 14:27:18

I dont like mine either.

When we moved here 20 years ago my husband went out and bought a new Denby dinner service. He didn't consult me. If I'd gone with him I would have persuaded him against it.
The dinner plates are too big, the side plates are too small, the only thing I do like are the mugs that came with it.

Unfortunately there is too much of it left to justify buying another set.

MiniMoon Wed 18-Nov-20 14:29:19

I could always use my Haddon Hall china but it isn't dishwasher safe.sad

MayBee70 Wed 18-Nov-20 14:30:30

I hate squeaky plates....

Grandmabatty Wed 18-Nov-20 14:31:55

If you've had it all that time then either you've used it a lot so it owes you nothing - charity shop,or you've rarely used it because you dislike it - life's too short- charity shop. Then you have the perfect excuse to buy a new set. Or if you have family, ask if any of them want it. Problem solved.

kittylester Wed 18-Nov-20 14:34:50

We have 2 sets of Denby. The first one is in use in the kitchen and is plain blue, inoffensive but very boring. the 'best' set rarely sees the light of day and I don't know why we bought it.

We will ditch all of them when we can get to the shops and buy the same thing for every day and best.

When we were going through our roof we found a set that Mum has bought about 30 years ago - it is pink and grey roses but really of it's era. I asked one brother if he would like it and he said that they still hadn't used the dinner service that they had a a wedding present in 1979.

J52 Wed 18-Nov-20 14:42:19

My Denby is Greenwich, so white and green, timeless. 30 years old. Our second set in HH is white with blue stripe edges, seaside theme to it.
It is long lived, especially when we bought two sets of each! There’s loads. I still like it.
However, the wedding China Ansley lives unused in the sideboard.

Lyndylou Wed 18-Nov-20 16:14:21

I still love my Denby Seville first purchased nearly 45 years ago when I got married, mind you, I have purchased lots of pieces since including a complete set of 6 immaculate dinner plates I found about 10 years ago, so I no longer know which piece is the original set. I mix it with Denby Viceroy bought 30 years ago which was the same shade. I use them everyday and I can't enjoy tea out of anything but a Denby cup, my daughter keeps one at her house just for me!!

Blossoming Wed 18-Nov-20 16:24:58

We have Denby pasta bowls and rice bowls, they’re the only ones OH hasn’t chipped or broken so far grin

Casdon Wed 18-Nov-20 17:12:40

I love my Denby, I’ve got Imperial Blue and I can honestly say it’s never squeaked on contact with cutlery, are you sure it’s not the cutlery that’s causing that? I also like the fact it very rarely breaks or chips, doesn't mark with silver lines like so many other types do, comes up well from the dishwasher every time -and best of all it hasn’t dated, so I’ve now got everything matching because I haven’t had to make do. I’m not a fan of china dishes, I don’t like anything with flowers on, and plain white reminds me of hospitals and schools - each to their own!

MrsThreadgoode Wed 18-Nov-20 17:15:33

My advice is to get rid of it, then either buy a set that you love, or buy individual plates, cups, etc. Crockery doesn’t have to match.

GrannySomerset Wed 18-Nov-20 17:23:01

Our everyday china for the past fifty years has been Blue Denmark, pattern used by several different makers. I am always pleased to see it when we have been away (can just about remember that) and it survives the dishwasher well. We have a Wedgwood dinner service which was a compromise and so neither of us likes it which only comes out when trying to impress, a pointless exercise in our case. We have two half tea services and I do use them when we have friends in for coffee or a cup of tea because they are so nice to drink from. Can’t bring myself to put it in the dishwasher though.

M0nica Wed 18-Nov-20 17:53:03

My Denbyware is my everyday pottery. It was bought cheaply as seconds in a Bentalls sale in the mid-1970s. It is a rustic brown pattern on a grey cream, called 'Cotswold'

I love it and use nothing else, I have picked up extra pieces for it in charity shops and vintage shops.

I do also have a Wedgwood dinner service, which comes out for high days and holidays.

grumppa Wed 18-Nov-20 18:04:23

The remains of our wedding present Denby set are used principally for Indian takeaways. Our current set is used for formal lunches and all afternoon teas and dinners; not best, just better. Breakfasts and snack lunches are on M&S.

Not sure why...

Iam64 Wed 18-Nov-20 18:13:12

We resorted to Ikea plain white for all crockery (except mugs) when the children were in their teens. Things were broken so regularly it was impossible to keep anything matching. Now we are only two we occasionally think of buying something more stylish but can we be bovvered? Also, those children now visit with their four children so its 'smashing' again (or it is when we aren't in lockdown.

Nortsat Wed 18-Nov-20 18:14:18

I love my Denby and have had it about 20 years. It’s a mix of Imperial Blue, Blue Linen (now discontinued) and Azure Coast, including casserole dishes and oven-to-table dishes. So it’s all in the blue range but not identically matching. If we have a large family group to lunch/supper the crockery will co-ordinate but not match ... which I like.
I use it for every day and for special occasions I just add some candles and linen napkins to the table and it always looks nice.

My partner is very heavy handed so it’s important we have something that doesn’t scratch or chip easily and breakages can be easily replaced.

Vicky if you really don’t like it, then list it on eBay. Do a bit of research and watch other auctions for the same pattern. I think Denby sells well on eBay, though it might take a while. Good luck.

Jane10 Wed 18-Nov-20 18:23:21

If selling it on Ebay the postage could be colossal due to the weight of the stuff.
I love china. So sad to see the loss of so many of the old manufacturers and their patterns. I went to order some Spode Blue Italian recently and it's now made in China and is really thick pottery. sad

Iam64 Wed 18-Nov-20 18:28:41

Good point Jane10 - buyer collect

Luckygirl Wed 18-Nov-20 18:44:40

Denby Troubador - my Mum bought this; and when Dad died I passed it on to my DD3 - she loves it!

tidyskatemum Wed 18-Nov-20 19:59:58

DH has always really liked Denby stuff - and I've always hated it!

M0nica Wed 18-Nov-20 20:22:41

Sell on ebay as 'Collect only'. It will reduce the markt a bit, but should still sell well. People will travel quite a distance if they really want something, or it is a fairly easy journey.

We once drove from near Newbury to Cardiff to collect a fire surround for DD because although it was quite a distance, it was an easy run down the M4. We went there and back in an evenng