Gransnet forums

House and home

Moving/downsizing one year on

(11 Posts)
Riversidegirl Sun 22-Nov-20 15:52:10

18 months ago there was a group of us suffering the pain of selling and moving. Downsizing, estate agents, buyers, surveyors, removal firms, solicitors, oh it was hard!

Where are we now? We got fed up in the end, as we were supposed to be moving that week before the Autumn term started, and the vans were all booked. So we put everything in store and moved in with son and family.

A year and a bit on, we have almost completely refurbished (good old Ikea) and just have decorating left. Plus the remnants of 55 years of married life in boxes in the basement....yes! we are so lucky to have that basement.

I can't believe we got rid of nearly all our precious stuff; we each have a huge cupboard in the biggest room, laughingly called THE STUDY; mine is full of family history and family treasures.

So glad we moved when we did. I don't think I could have coped much longer. Sadly we have not had a deal of social life because of the virus, but hey, we are still here and have a wonderful view over the city and wooded countryside.

Newatthis Mon 23-Nov-20 13:05:36

I am in the middle of doing this so I am in Packing Box city at the moment. We too are downsizing and we have had to get rid of so much (long overdue for some of it) Nevertheless a very emotional experience after 41 years of marriage. A lot of tearful sessions, doubts and anxiety. Our stuff goes into store and we leave on the house on the 2nd which basically leaves us homeless as we sold quickly and haven't had time to look for another house. We do have a plan in place. Any hints or tips??

Shandy57 Tue 24-Nov-20 10:31:43

Lovely to read your positive post Riversidegirl.

I found dismantling my family home very painful and because of Covid, had to leave all of the furniture I'd hoped to sell for free with my house. When my Mum died she left me some money, and amongst other things, I bought two life size bronze lions for the garden. My buyer wouldn't buy them, and insisted they were removed before completion, so I had to give them away to a neighbour. The neighbour's garden is visible from the river path, and I saw them last night - it was an odd feeling.

I had to squeeze into a tiny rented two bed cottage and hope to buy a three bed bungalow, which is going slowly. I'm going to have a fresh start and make sure I only buy things I absolutely love. Newatthis, try and find a rental with a garage, mine is full to the ceiling, I'm so glad I didn't have to pay for storage on top of my rent.

Whiff Tue 24-Nov-20 10:54:44

My move wasn't easy as I had 2 buyers pulled out just before exchange. Luckily my bungalow was still on the market and the vendors still went with me. Put my house on the market March 2018 moved August 2019. I downsized from large 3 bed semi with large gardens to 2 bed bungalow with gardens from and back ideal size for me to do myself had always had to have a gardener since my husband died. Best thing I ever did was move. Had to get rid of lots of things but the relief getting rid of stuff was wonderful. I love my pared down life. I spent 34 years in the same house . Unfortunately my husband died in 2004 so I spent a long time on my own in a house way to big for me. As the children had left home. But had parents and mother in law to look after. That's why I stayed.

I moved over 100 miles. And love my home. I feel at peace. Had a lot of work done and love everything I've had done. Everything is my choice which I have never had before. I cleared both gardens and have replanted with what I want. It's been tiring but exciting all at the same time. Only the living room and hall to be decorated next year and paving in the back garden. Already chosen my colours. My neighbours are wonderful and couldn't have chosen a better place to live.

Since moving my life has had its ups and downs but moving wasn't one of them. I don't miss my old house or old life one bit. Love the new me and life.

Willow500 Tue 24-Nov-20 12:21:22

We have just moved from our family home of 35 years and spent weeks packing and also getting rid of so much stuff. Years and years of old cards, children's school books, business papers, dolls houses, mum's china and a loft full it took 2 days to empty. It still took 3 furniture vans to take our furniture which is now in storage along with a lock up we've rented which is full. We already had a small bungalow we're now living in but always knew it wouldn't be big enough so are in the process of buying another house but I'm determined we won't fill it with so much stuff this time.

I thought it would be really upsetting to move out of our house and away from everything we're so familiar with back to our old home town but in reality it was pretty easy and there were no tears as we shut the door for the final time. smile

Urmstongran Tue 24-Nov-20 12:29:41

People are not very big. Their possessions though is another matter entirely.

I’m more than happy having downsized 10 years ago. So many older people ‘cling on’ to family sized houses and ‘stuff’.

I found it immensely liberating to let go. We have led a much different lifestyle since and feel only joy that we were brave enough to ‘do it’. We take our memories and photos with us. Good enough!

rosecarmel Tue 24-Nov-20 12:49:36

It all sounds lovely but I'm very much stuck for some time now due to the pandemic- I downsized personal items but the housing market here has become brutal- I can't move- The inventory is scant at best because the interest rates are low and lots of people are buying and sellers are asking more than homes are worth-

Largolass Tue 24-Nov-20 12:56:56

We downsized just over 2 years ago and so happy not to be rattling around in a large house with equally large garden.
I can now walk to the shops previously in a tiny and picturesque village but 3 miles to any amenities so not good as one gets older.
Never think of our previous home and glad to be rid of the mountains of stuff we had to get rid off.

kircubbin2000 Tue 24-Nov-20 13:13:37

All my art and hobby stuff was put in the attic. I now find the ladder too steep so haven't seen them since. The pictures I brought don't really suit the house so remain unhung.Even though I threw out a skipload of stuff the garage and outhouse have collected enough to fill another. I was glad I had the furniture and curtains sorted before I moved in for I wouldn't want to be shopping now.
As for social life it is very quiet here and the one group I joined has shut for the pandemic and may never reopen as most were older people.Good for walks and local shops and a nice garden.

Riversidegirl Sat 28-Nov-20 10:27:45

Fairly positive on the whole; for those of us stuck, my loving thoughts and best wishes. I do wish it was worth putting our pictures in an auction though. I am planning on hanging them in the basement.......It's lovely to be able to sit and read the papers at the weekend (although miserable) instead of (hard) gardening etc. We have planted a small mixed fruit orchard, it's just a year old. I am hoping to have a small fig plantation on the other side of the path. Can I recommend growing figs? We had a 20 year old neglected Brown Turkey treelet, which is up against a south wall and has gone mad this year. I have found cuttings from public trees (including from the oldest Inn in Britain, the Trip to Jerusalem in Nottingham) and am amazed at how they are growing. I never thought I should find a new hobby after all these years, but I'm loving it. See the Facebook group for fig growers! We can be in the city centre on foot in 25 minutes. I'm so happy to be back.

Elusivebutterfly Sat 28-Nov-20 12:23:11

It's nearly two years since I moved and I love my new house and much prefer this area. I can walk to the High Street and it is much leafier and less urban. Like everyone else, I spent a lot of time decluttering before I moved but do still need to get rid of more.
I've been slow in getting things done here as nothing is urgent. I do miss my old neighbours and haven't got to know people here much. None of the social things I do re-opened in the summer, nor do zoom meetings. This doesn't stop me preferring the new house.