Gransnet forums

House and home

Recommendations for a new car

(36 Posts)
Rosiebee Fri 15-Jan-21 10:49:39

Our Fiat Punto must be coming up to 13years old now and we've had her since new with very few problems. I feel she's at the time when she is going to start costing real money to maintain. Just waiting for AA now as she won't start. I don't want to suddenly be looking round for a replacement so I thought I'd start doing a bit of research now. I do most of the driving. I'm looking for a new/pre-reg car which is about the same size as a Punto, 4 doors, easy to drive and reliable with a decent boot. In about 10 years I will be approaching 80 so I'd prefer a new one to "see me out" as my mum would have said. They all look good in the showrooms but I'd like to have some recommendations from Gransnetters first. Many thanks.

Omaoma57 Fri 15-Jan-21 11:06:19

Just bought a Volvo A40, it was 6 months old and half price... great value, good drive...wanted a hybrid but very few on the market at my price point so will wait a few years for them to hopefully reduce in price.

shysal Fri 15-Jan-21 11:10:42

I love my Honda Jazz. It is not too low to get into comfortably and has a decent sized boot. I also find its 'magic rear seats' very useful. They lock into a tipped up position giving a deep space from foot well to roof, very useful when buying tall plants.
I have an automatic and would never go back to a manual gearbox, it is so easy to drive and you will never stall it or find yourself in the wrong gear at a junction.
Good luck with your search. If past threads are anything to go by you will receive lots of recommendations for the Jazz.

tanith Fri 15-Jan-21 11:44:44

I’m also looking for a smaller car not new though. Does anyone have a Nissan Micra the new shape? I saw one yesterday and liked the look of it.
Sorry Rosiebee I’m not hijacking your thread ☺️

Katek Fri 15-Jan-21 11:46:56

I have a Renault Captur which I love. It has a slightly higher driving position which makes it much easier to get in and out. I’ve owned a Jazz in the past and agree that it’s an excellent buy but if you want something just a bit bigger with the easier access then I can highly recommend the Captur.

MadeInYorkshire Fri 15-Jan-21 11:52:47

Vauxhall Mokka I found good, great boot, easier to get into as a bit higher - also look at Skoda, they have a great reputation nowadays ....

Jane10 Fri 15-Jan-21 11:52:57

Its a great time now to buy a new car at bargain prices. Poor car dealers are desperate to sell. I can't recommend any particular make or model but do suggest that the OP strike now while the iron's hot! As it were.

Lucca Fri 15-Jan-21 11:57:35

Towards the end of my teaching I was chatting to a 15 year old lad about cars (?). He asked what kind of car I had, so I said “Well I’m 65 and I live in Xtown, what do you think ?” Straight away he said Honda Jazz. Spot on. Automatic Honda jazz I’m on my second secondhand one.

Peasblossom Fri 15-Jan-21 11:58:25

Love my Kia Picanto. Love the service deal and the 7 year guarantee. Love the fact that in 10 years and over 100,000 nothing has gone wrong?

Auntieflo Fri 15-Jan-21 11:59:41

We bought a new Ford Ka+, just over a year ago, and have been very pleased with it. It is bigger than I thought it would be, and easy to drive .

BigBertha1 Fri 15-Jan-21 12:01:46

We are on our second Quashqui (not sure how its spelt) and find it excellent it all respects.

timetogo2016 Fri 15-Jan-21 12:07:23

We have a Ford Kuga and we love it.
We had a Vauxhall Corsa before and that too was a great little car and brilliant in the snow.
Had to replace it as it was starting to cost money.
repairs etc.
You can pick up an x mobility car for a very reasonable price at most car dealerships.

Rosiebee Fri 15-Jan-21 12:12:29

No probs. I'm open to all suggestions.

Nanawind Fri 15-Jan-21 12:16:35

We have a Corsa lovely car. Ours is 7 years old. Will be changing it this year as like others have said it's costing money.
We never get a new car always get a 12 month one. New ones depreciat quite quickly.

Greeneyedgirl Fri 15-Jan-21 12:17:20

Toyota every time. Plenty of hybrids. We have a RAV and it’s our third. Very reliable.
I have a 10 year old Volvo which has been very reliable but expensive to maintain.

Greeneyedgirl Fri 15-Jan-21 12:21:54

Check out Which to give an idea of reliability, and which cars to avoid. Naturally we are all going to be subjective with our advice on here.

Greyduster Fri 15-Jan-21 12:23:09

Another plus for Honda Jazz. I loved mine - it was like a second skin! Uber reliable.

mumofmadboys Fri 15-Jan-21 13:54:30

Toyota Corolla hybrid. Had it 18 months. Very pleased with it

Shandy57 Sun 17-Jan-21 10:07:59

I'm watching this with interest. I've got a Nissan X trail and need to. downsize, but am nervous because of the high surface water we get on the roads here during bad weather.

Nell8 Sun 17-Jan-21 10:20:46

Thank you for useful thread Rosiebee
Have a 15 year old Corsa which has been a great workhorse, ferrying gangs of teenage boys around. Must check out the new model.
Does anyone with bad knees know how easy it is to get out of a Skoda Octavia? Can't do test drive at moment.

crazyH Sun 17-Jan-21 10:29:37

Kia Rio Automatic. Love it and love the 7 year warranty deal. It’s 3 years old now and hasn’t needed any attention. It’s due it’s annual service. Must ring the garage ...

Jane43 Sun 17-Jan-21 10:34:16

We had a Honda Jazz automatic for 12 years and it was one year old when we bought it. It never failed to start first time, even after it was left on the driveway for 11 weeks when we were out of the country. We replaced it with a Citroen C3 automatic because we got a really good deal and have been happy with that since we bought it 18 months ago.

Harris27 Sun 17-Jan-21 10:34:49

I’ve just bought my sixth vw. Had old ones and new ones golf and a polo. Bought new polo and plan to keep it a long time and my sister has the same car and we both love it. Can’t say more than that. Very reliable.

Jane43 Sun 17-Jan-21 10:37:37

shysal

I love my Honda Jazz. It is not too low to get into comfortably and has a decent sized boot. I also find its 'magic rear seats' very useful. They lock into a tipped up position giving a deep space from foot well to roof, very useful when buying tall plants.
I have an automatic and would never go back to a manual gearbox, it is so easy to drive and you will never stall it or find yourself in the wrong gear at a junction.
Good luck with your search. If past threads are anything to go by you will receive lots of recommendations for the Jazz.

Yes I agree about the useful rear seats in the Honda Jazz. We transported no end of stuff that way, including large IKEA wardrobes.

Dibbydod Sun 17-Jan-21 10:38:26

Peasblossom

Love my Kia Picanto. Love the service deal and the 7 year guarantee. Love the fact that in 10 years and over 100,000 nothing has gone wrong?

Yes I love my Kia Picanto also , such a lovely car to drive and has added extras as standard . I used to be taxi driver in my working days and drove many different cars but this is the best car I’ve driven and this one is my own car . Fabulous!