Gransnet forums

House and home

Downsizing to flat

(32 Posts)
P1234 Sat 16-Jan-21 16:53:02

Thinking of moving into a flat. Have any of you grans done this. Was it a good or bad move and are they noisy. Any advice is welcome. Thanks

Franbern Mon 18-Jan-21 11:04:10

On the question of Maintenance fees. I was really worried about these, and back in 2003, when I downsized from the family house - this was the reason that I would not even look at flats then.

Over the next few years, I realised that I was paying 'Maintenance costs' every year on my house. Repairs, to roof, to garden fences, to gutterings, to drains, to flat roof area,etc. etc. Having to have professional decorator to do painting to hallway and landing. Impossible to do that myself, even when I was very healthy.

At least in the flat I know exactly how much I have to put aside each month for maintenance and have no worries on any of the ones I did in the house. As I grew older I had to pay out for a gardener once a month - that cost is no longer relevant. Insurance costs are also cheaper both for car and home. Definitely a lot cheaper on heating costs. I have found myself better off in the flat than when I was in the house

I do know that some flats have very high maintenance costs, this is something that needs to be taken into account when purchasing. If someone is selling their house for a lot less than the purchase price of the flat, then they could put aside a goodly sum to cover that cost for many years.

I love the fact that when the weather is very bad, gale force winds, etc.........I sit comfortably and cosy in my flat not worrying as to what damage I am going to see outside in my property.

Spring Mon 18-Jan-21 12:17:32

After 40 years living in a 3bed. I moved in April to a flat. Obvious problems during lockdown with regard to tradesmen, decorators etc.
Plus side, I have wonderful neighbours, but I am acutely aware that this could change as 2 of the 6 flats are rentals. In fact, the flat above me is up for rental as we speak!!

grandtanteJE65 Mon 18-Jan-21 12:21:14

We lived happily in a flat for years, but were forced to move after new, noisy and unpleasant neighbours moved in above us.

If we, or I, if DH dies fist, want to sell this house, I will not dare consider a flat again, but shall look for a smaller independent property to rent or buy.

Shandy57 Mon 18-Jan-21 14:09:42

I was looking at flats in Devon, and one of them was in a very large old double fronted house. As it had its own garden I was very interested, but unfortunately the freehold was split three ways. I could see from the road that the roof was in poor condition and it worried me that I'd move in and immediately have to pay a third of the roof costs.

FlexibleFriend Mon 18-Jan-21 14:27:42

It's not something I would ever consider.

P1234 Sat 30-Jan-21 09:04:57

Thanks for all your advice. The noise of neighbours does put me off a flat. Maybe I'm not quite ready yet