Gransnet forums

House and home

Help calm me. House buying and selling stress

(999 Posts)
Spice101 Tue 02-Feb-21 09:43:42

Link to first 7 threads

In Craftyone's absence I hope this works.

www.gransnet.com/forums/house_and_home/1284958-Help-calm-me-House-buying-and-selling-stress?msgid=28463982

Thread #8

midgey Sun 11-Apr-21 19:04:25

You see...I knew you could do it!

Oopsadaisy1 Sun 11-Apr-21 20:37:37

Shandy for a few extra pounds our Window Cleaner clears and cleans our gutters on the bungalow, might be an idea to book someone in rather than go climbing yourself.

Shandy57 Mon 12-Apr-21 09:31:21

Thanks Oopsadaisy1, I'm going to look for a window cleaner as the lounge windows are filthy after the snow, hopefully will find one that will do the gutters too.

I have booked a local man to clean the gutters, he's coming at the end of the month. As I'm semi detached I'll have to knock at my neighbour's and ask permission for him to go down the side at the back, where the leak was worst. I've had a good look at the roof this morning and there is a lot of moss at the back, I didn't go into the garden when I viewed. I'll know for next time!

Franbern Mon 12-Apr-21 14:34:00

NEXT TIME!!! Surely, not even thinking of moving again.
One of the really nice things about living in a bloc of flats is no worries about things like gutters, drainpipes, drains, roofs, etc. Well, at least, not as an individual. Having got myself onto the Cttee as Secretary - I do have these concerns - but corporatively,. Our biggest concern is our nearly 40-year old lift. Working fine at present, but we are looking at costs of replacement sometime in not too distsnt future,.

Shandy57 Mon 12-Apr-21 16:43:55

ha ha, caught you! Seriously I just said it as an aside, I couldn't face it again. My neighbour next door has moved 19 times, apparently, and might move again! She's been there for two years and unfortunately the design of the roof leads to her front garden flooding every time it rains.

Have had another lucky day. I have had my cat indoors for a month now, and wanted to change her chip details but couldn't find the paperwork. I was certain she was chipped and took her to the vet's this morning, but the vet's nurse scanned her all over, no chip found. I can't remember taking her/collecting her when she was spayed, so have to assume my husband did. The vet's nurse did say it wasn't considered as essential fifteen years ago - I'm wondering if we just didn't have the money and my husband refused it. I was really lucky that they'd had an appointment cancelled and managed to chip her for me. I didn't take the decision lightly as I'm sure it hurt her, but as we have moved so far from the old house, couldn't bear for her to be lost. I've just let her out in the garden for the first time and she's had a good sniff around in the sunshine, glad I can get rid of my dish of muddy grass now!

40 year old lift, argh Franbern. I got stuck in the huge goods lift at the BBC, and was dragged out by my arms by the firemen! I've always been terrified of the lift cables snapping like the action movies, hope you can get it replaced pronto!

GrannySomerset Mon 12-Apr-21 16:46:50

Sorry, Shandy but I have to ask! What were you doing in a BBC goods life? The possibilities are endless .......

midgey Mon 12-Apr-21 17:22:04

Ha ha GrannySomerset, I’m with you there!

Shandy57 Mon 12-Apr-21 17:55:17

ha ha GrannySomerset, I started my working life as a secretary at Television Centre. Wasn't supposed to use the goods lift but was delivering heavy bundles of show tickets ( TOTPs etc, I worked for Bill Cotton in LE) and thought I'd risk it. Never again, I was so embarrassed!

About thirty years later I had firemen again, but was teaching in my classroom this time - the fuel tank on my old Daimler had leaked out all over the road. Very serious and cross with me, didn't seem as handsome that time! I didn't know it had two tanks!

Oopsadaisy1 Mon 12-Apr-21 17:59:55

Was Bill Cotton the one with the Billy Cottons Band Show? Or was that the father?
I well remember the show with Cathy Kay and Russ Conway !!

midgey Mon 12-Apr-21 18:48:10

Wakey! Wakey!!

Shandy57 Mon 12-Apr-21 22:41:53

I worked from 74-77 for Bill Cotton Junior, he was Head of Light Entertainment. I went on the secretarial reserve in different departments in 1977 as he was promoted to CBBC1, and already had a second secretary up there on the 6th floor. I was training as a make-up artist two nights a week up at the Royal College of Fashion, but it was all pixie ears and witch noses, plus repairing wigs with your tights - not at all glamorous! I also found I didn't like touching people's faces - huge part of the job! I left when I was 21 and worked at Thames TV at the lock in Teddington, which was much nearer home. Didn't handle the culture shock well, left Thames after a year and worked as a temp all over London.

Pittcity Tue 13-Apr-21 08:09:10

We've been in our new home for a month now. It's flown by as we've so much to do. Met another set of neighbours last night while putting the bins out. Everyone seems very friendly.
Next door seemed overjoyed when we told her that we'd be replacing the garden fence. Family is coming at the weekend to help. Otherwise we are now waiting for workmen to do other jobs. They are all very busy and so we won't get anything done for a few weeks now.
I am winning the fight to stop DH doing it himself!!
Life is slowly getting back to normal, hooray!!

Franbern Tue 13-Apr-21 08:59:44

As the Chairman of our Residents Cttee decided to step down, after 15years of service, I spent a very enjoyable time over the weekend taking our A4 sized 'Thank you from All of Us' Card around all the flats getting signatures. I was invited in to many of them, and it was good to see other peoples flats and to have long gossipy chats with many of them. The way our flats are designed is that there are four floors, with five to each floor and each of those different layouts, although all have large living rooms, two bedrooms and bathroom and en-suite. Then floor five has just three flats -all different layouts and 6th floor just two. The top two flats are 3-bedroomed. One lady has been here since the flats were new. Gave me a good chance of getting to know people, and for them to get to know me.

Shandy, I also worked as a temp secretary around London during the 60's. Loved it. Twice I was offered a permament job, one of which I did take for a time. But I so enjoyed going to different places and meeting so many different people.

For a time I actually worked for Hammonds Lifts in Walthamstow. That building is no longer there. I once got stuck in a large lift at the hospital. And had a panic attack, as my claustophobia settled in. Fortunately, I was only in there for about ten minutes before they got it working again.

Our lift is fine, we have it serviced and checked very regularly, but we want to have as much information about replacement as possible, well before we actually need to have it done.

Beautiful sunny morning here, I must get out to some of our very loval (non essential) shops that have opened up.

kissngate Wed 14-Apr-21 13:11:20

Just thought I'd update as we are in the middle of buying a property again (see chat forum on downsizing). Given up now on idea of being nearer DD and buying in an area we know. It's about 10 miles from our previous home and the village ticks most boxes ie regular bus service, Dr., butchers, greengrocer, supermarket and a bowling club. Had a survey done and it's ok not perfect but mainly maintenance issues ie blocked gutters and fascia board replacement. This house wasnt what we expected to buy as it's on a housing estate but the village is lovely and has a couple of pubs which ticks all boxes for my OH.! Will keep you posted as we progress through the sale.

Spice101 Wed 14-Apr-21 13:24:14

Good luck with this house for you Kissingate, hopefully it will be a smooth and quick completion for you.

Shandy57 Wed 14-Apr-21 15:19:12

Good luck kissngate, nice you have so many useful facilities nearby, mine are a mile away but on the flat, I could walk it. I've never fancied bowls but we also have a bowling green.

Sorry your gutters need doing too, I think the birds have been pecking at the moss on the roof and dislodged it into the gutters. There was a lot of soil in the station gutters, again birds I think, there were all sorts of flowers growing in it!

Car back without charge this morning and my handbrake seems solid again, reversed into the drive as my neighbour was out.

Have had a mystery hand delivered letter for the owner, just texted me back, she would like it forwarded and I have her address. Nice she offered to send me a stamp but I refused, have a few Christmas ones left.

Franbern Wed 14-Apr-21 16:11:20

Good Luck Kissngate, hope it all goes really well. It is good to be close to so many facilities.

Shandy57 Fri 16-Apr-21 09:49:47

Morning all, sunny here after a bad frost last night, bird bath was frozen over. I don't remember last April being as cold.

I'm still in a mess decluttering lots of things that don't 'fit' here, but I'm not due my second vaccination for another eleven weeks, my goal is to be 'settled' by then. I'm just making a daily effort.

Good luck to everyone waiting for news, I am feeling a lot more relaxed now I'm 'here'.

midgey Fri 16-Apr-21 10:19:07

Kissingate hope things are going well, fingers crossed for a speedy move!
Shandy it’s good to hear that you are relaxing into your new home. Don’t rush to do everything, you have the rest of your life to do it.

Shandy57 Fri 16-Apr-21 13:13:08

Thank you midgey, my best friend has just asked what colours I'm going to use to redecorate, I haven't got a clue yet! I feel very conscious that whatever I do shows the true 'me', I feel quite exposed.

I'm thinking of you too kissngate, I've just found my 'moving' diary. So many scribbles! So glad my offer on the upstairs flat without a garden in Exmouth was rejected, my dog is very happily lying just outside the patio doors.

Shandy57 Sun 18-Apr-21 20:01:57

Hope everyone gets the news they are waiting for tomorrow smile

I'm on tenterhooks waiting for Line of Duty tonight!

I've just come on to say that I've now searched everywhere twice and can't find my brown teddy bear coat sad I had only worn it a few times as I prefer waterproof coats, and as I hadn't been anywhere last year, I haven't left it behind in a restaurant or cafe. There isn't anywhere else it could be, and I definitely didn't leave it behind at the rental. Isn't it strange? Perhaps it fell off the lorry?

midgey Sun 18-Apr-21 20:30:23

Shandy on a really hot day when you are slowly melting the coat will turn up!

Pittcity Mon 19-Apr-21 08:40:56

I've turned the place over several times looking for things since we've moved. How long before you stop opening the wrong cupboard and new muscle memory kicks in?

maytime2 Mon 19-Apr-21 09:30:56

Is'nt it funny, I can remember exactly where I used to keep things in my old house. I resorted to writing down where things are now kept in this house as in my rush to "tidy" things up I had no recollection of where I had put them.
We are mostly of the age that when you can't remember you immediately think that it is the beginning of dementia. I think that I just need to concentrate more on what I'm doing at any given time.

Shandy57 Mon 19-Apr-21 10:04:35

Morning all, sunny again - and I've finally heard a swallow, they are really late this year.

Woken up by a cold caller on my mobile, I wonder where they get our numbers from.

I can't find another jacket that I hardly wore, I now think I must have mistakenly given it to the charity shop with the teddy coat. I'll believe that, and if they ever turn up, it's a bonus!

Hope everyone gets the news they are waiting for.