Gransnet forums

House and home

Wooden flooring

(44 Posts)
MrsHappy Mon 08-Mar-21 20:45:35

DH and I are discussing new flooring. I want new carpet for living room, ding room, hall, stairs and landing. Hubby has suggested wooden or laminate flooring. What are your thoughts? I have always thought non carpeted rooms a bit cold and noisy. What are they like to live with. Eg, easy to keep clean, staining?

Nannarose Tue 09-Mar-21 22:17:21

Thanks Franbearn.

We have only one scratch - from an accident (!) - we have visiting dogs, but not the same as having our own. However, I am astonished that the veneer was bare after only 3 years and wonder what on earth the previous owner had been doing.

M0nica Wed 10-Mar-21 23:14:31

diygran you can get engineered wood sanded and resealed.

We have wood floors throughout, variously; floorboards upstairs, wood block everywhere downstairs except in the hall and study where we have engineered wood . The engineered wood has been down about 15 years and even though it must be the most walked on floor in the house with people coming in and out the front door, all I ever do is run the vacuum cleaner over it and very occasionally run a wet mop over it. But we do not have any domestic animals.

The woodblock floor in the kitchen we have had sanded and resealed, because that was suffering from constant walking in and out of the garden

Mini2020 Thu 11-Mar-21 10:38:21

We have Kardean flooring and we are very pleased. In the lounge we have put a large rug which gives the room a cosy and inviting look. We have concrete floors. Would recommend Kardean. Easy to maintain, cleaning or vacuuming.

Nannarose Thu 11-Mar-21 11:02:02

I've come back to this thread for a few reasons -one is that I realised (thanks to looking afresh) that we do have a few scratches & marks - but somehow to us, they seem part of the character of the floor - a bit like our wooden table - it seems to be part of the character, rather than 'a mark'. I know this won't suit everyone.
Also, thinking about dogs - we have not owned a dog since putting down this floor, but we did previously and we have visiting dogs (usually!). I genuinely think that a well cared for dog would not normally mark a well cared for floor (of cats I have no experience!)

Edith81 Thu 11-Mar-21 11:11:51

My daughter is thrilled with her laminate flooring as she has been homeschooling her 3 grandchildren and paints and crafts are so much easier to clean up.

Happysexagenarian Thu 11-Mar-21 18:18:33

We have solid oak flooring in hall, lounge, kitchen and dining area, (all open plan), but carpet in bedrooms, landing and on stairs. Natural wood flooring is warm underfoot and easy to clean. We have a dog and his nails do 'click' on the floor and scratch it, and I have scratched it moving furniture around, but that's just life. Some people pay a small fortune for old, worn flooring with a patina. It's everyday life that created that patina. I'm not precious about my flooring, it's just a floor! In our previous house we had laminate flooring and bare wooden stairs. If something heavy was dropped on the laminate it chipped and the chipped areas were razor sharp. I loved our wooden stairs but it was noisy when the children were there.

Freedom29 Thu 11-Mar-21 23:35:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

rubysong Fri 12-Mar-21 08:43:08

This is the place to ask what is probably a daft question. What exactly is engineered wood flooring and how is it different from other wood flooring?

Franbern Fri 12-Mar-21 08:56:55

Do not forget that with a good laminate flooring (Amtico or Karndean), it can look like anything you wish. Not necessarily wood. Good idea to have a look at their brochures - they are all just as easy to look after and to keep clean, and can add so much character to rooms.

InselAffe Fri 12-Mar-21 18:57:00

I live in Germany, where tiled floors are commonplace. I don't think I have actually seen a carpet since I've lived here! Tiles are very practical, a quick vacuum and mop and they are clean in no time. The only downside.. you have to do it quite frequently or the dust bunnies breed very quickly!

Patsy70 Thu 15-Apr-21 15:42:25

We have engineered oak flooring in our living/dining rooms and hallway, (so much more hygienic and easier to clean than carpet, by vacuuming and mopping with a squirt of Method), tiles in the kitchen/laundry room, Karndean in the downstairs shower, laminate in 2 bedrooms and bathroom and the original pine floorboards in another bedroom. We have carpet on the stairs and landing only. There is a rug in front of the fire and one of the bedrooms. I find the wooden flooring warm and it always looks good. Our dog doesn’t scratch it at all, neither do our visiting dogs. I would heartily recommend losing the carpets!

3nanny6 Thu 15-Apr-21 15:55:09

I will not go back to carpets and have my wood flooring for over 10 years. The only place I have carpet is on the stairs and along the landing at the top. It is easy to vacuum and mop over
and keeps clean.

I have two dogs and there is no scratching over the floor.
One thing to remember if you have a dog that likes to have a snooze on the bed which mine does then put a good rug near to the bed as the wood floor can be slippery to a pet when jumping from the bed and could easily result in accidents to the dogs legs.

Skydancer Thu 15-Apr-21 16:06:38

We have tiles in the hall which extend into the kitchen. Best thing ever. I never worry about dirt and mud on people's shoes. I mop the tiles once a week. We've got engineered oak in the lounge and dining room. Again I love it. SO easy to keep clean. When I see our neighbour's dog drooling into their carpet - yuck.

midgey Thu 15-Apr-21 16:18:33

My daughter has a recycled sports hall floor, the random colours look great, (from the lines and circles).
The dogs nails do click and I am not a fan of the noise!

Soozikinzi Thu 15-Apr-21 16:20:56

We have just swapped carpet for laminate in the lounge and keep saying why didn’t we do this years ago ! I might get a nice rug in the winter it is a bit more noisy? But it’s so much cleaner with the dog and grandkids.As others have said it’s so much easier to move the furniture as well. I do have carpet on the stairs and loft rooms but that’s all .

midgey Thu 15-Apr-21 16:24:06

Rubysong, I just googled engineered wood flooring, Wikipedia says it’s composite wood, so chewed up wood glued together.

4allweknow Sun 18-Apr-21 11:47:56

I would have wood in a hallway but not in a sitting room, not mine anyway. There is always a tendency to introduce rugs where there is a wooden floor. That to me is a disaster when getting on in years as they are trip hazards. Hard floors upstairs a nightmare for noise transference even next door. Carpets upstairs and selected hardwood downstairs.

Nannarose Sun 18-Apr-21 12:55:22

Engineered wood is strips of wood laid over other strips of wood, exact depth varies.
The point is that it doesn't warp. Some of us remember old floorboards that warped and cracked over the years.
I think of engineered wood as being the modern equivalent of those wonderful old parquet floors that are unaffordable these days, other than by the super-rich. You still occasionally see them in old buildings.