Gransnet forums

House and home

What can I expect to pay?

(8 Posts)
Flaxseed Tue 16-Mar-21 21:33:36

To have the cracked rendering on my exterior wall filled and repainted please?

I have never had to pay for any decorating before as my dear, recently departed Dad used to do it for me sad

I have recently purchased a damp meter and it doesn’t look like the cracks have caused a damp issue nor are caused by any structural problems so hopefully it’s just a fill in and paint job.
It’s two storeys and a 1930’s semi. I would only need the back wall and part of a side wall done
I’ll obviously get estimates but have absolutely no idea of how much I can expect to pay
Thanks

Franbern Wed 17-Mar-21 08:42:56

Best way of finding out cost for your area is to get three or four quotations from local companies. Go with ones that have been well-established for some years. Find out when they can do the work - and if it is 'next week' probably do not use them.

Do make sure that they are quoting for an identical spec. and if there is a vast difference in their estimates for the same work then ask them the reasons for that.

muse Wed 17-Mar-21 10:03:21

As Franbern says with number of quotes but it wouldn't worry me to have a new firm give a quote. Did it recently with a garden wall that needed rebuilding. It had partly collapsed. The chap showed me photos of what he'd done with his own garden. Self taught. He made the most brilliant job of our wall.

Be prepared for the cost of scaffolding.

Squiffy Wed 17-Mar-21 10:30:26

Be prepared for the cost of scaffolding

You may find that some companies have their own scaffolding and that should keep the cost down a bit. Our roofer had his own and it made a considerable difference £££wise.

Flaxseed Wed 17-Mar-21 10:32:45

I am happy to get quotes but just hoped someone could give me a very rough figure, but I guess it hard to as every job is different. smile
Thanks anyway.

NellG Wed 17-Mar-21 10:42:15

Flaxseed My last house was fully rendered, a three bed semi. We had it repaired and painted several times - the whole house, depending on paint and painters would cost between £800 and £1500. The variation being whether they were brave enough to use a ladder, or scaffolding. Hope that helps.

muse Wed 17-Mar-21 11:31:23

Flaxseed

I am happy to get quotes but just hoped someone could give me a very rough figure, but I guess it hard to as every job is different. smile
Thanks anyway.

I've just googled it:

You should allow £30 – £60/m2 (of facing wall) for a rendered wall (which includes painting). So a typical three-bedroom semi-detached home with around 90m2 of walling might cost in the region of £2,700 – £5,400. The job might typically take up to two weeks, and you should allow £500 – £800 for scaffolding costs.

Squiffy. A lot of companies hire it. Had to have builders + roofers in over past 5 years. Only one had his own but it was limited and he used it inside. Outside work he hired it and past the cost onto us. There wasn't really any difference in the quotes we had for outside work regardless of owning scaffolding or not.

Flaxseed Wed 17-Mar-21 20:20:07

Thanks everyone thanks