Gransnet forums

House and home

Council tax!

(51 Posts)
grannysyb Wed 17-Mar-21 12:27:59

Just got the bill for next year, nearly £2830! For a two bedroom cottage!

Aveline Wed 17-Mar-21 12:32:24

Local services have to be paid for somehow. We've had such cuts in services that I'd actually be glad to pay more.

jocork Wed 17-Mar-21 12:38:25

I haven't had mine yet but was talking to friends today on a zoom who live just over the county boundary and they were complaining about the % increase. I understand the rise is well above inflation this year. Thankfully I get the sole occupant discount but I expect I'll still be paying about £2000 altogether.

YorkLady Wed 17-Mar-21 13:29:05

Oh! That does seem a lot! How much is the increase from last year?
Am waiting for ours to be received but I would not be able to pay that amount grannysyb

TwiceAsNice Wed 17-Mar-21 13:32:35

I can’t remember the exact yearly amount but my bill has gone up £4 a month from last year. Fairly relieved really I thought it would be more . I do get single living reduction

keepingquiet Wed 17-Mar-21 13:49:13

We have to provide services somehow. Local councils have been hit very hard by austerity but still have to provide the same services. My council tax is my biggest monthly expenditure after food, yet I still feel it's necessary to pay for the good of the community I belong to.

Sarnia Wed 17-Mar-21 13:51:18

It won't only be council tax going through the roof. Businesses have to claw back money somehow so I expect to find increases on pretty much everything.

Grandmabatty Wed 17-Mar-21 13:52:28

That's steep! I could be wrong but I read all Scottish local authorities had agreed to freeze council tax this year.

Parsley3 Wed 17-Mar-21 13:54:20

My council tax is frozen for this year but there will be cuts in services and we now have to pay for garden waste collections.

Mapleleaf Wed 17-Mar-21 14:05:02

That seems quite steep. I know services have to be paid for, but the system seems quite arbitrary, with some areas paying much more than other areas.

grannysyb Wed 17-Mar-21 14:45:09

The system is very uneven, my DD lived in another London borough a few years ago and was only paying about £200pa more for a five bedroom house!

grandmajet Wed 17-Mar-21 14:45:47

Ours is just over £3,000, and we have to pay for garden waste collection!

Shinamae Wed 17-Mar-21 14:50:40

Mine has gone up £6 a month and I have to pay £36 a year for garden waste collection...

suziewoozie Wed 17-Mar-21 14:52:42

Council Tax is, in my opinion, just a mess. If you take. band D rate, then the most expensive rate is about two and a half times that of the cheapest rate. It is riven with unfairnesses but, like the funding of social care, no government has had the courage to address it and especially after Thatcher failed so spectacularly with the Poll Tax.

Jaxjacky Wed 17-Mar-21 15:44:39

Ours has gone up £100 over the year.

Gannygangan Wed 17-Mar-21 15:49:41

I'm shocked now that I have no idea how much ours is.

Kim19 Wed 17-Mar-21 15:57:44

I wouldn't mind if I thought I had any kind of decent service. I don't. Interested to see what percentage increase the councillors will undoubtedly receive. Hope none but think that might be cloud cuckoo thinking.

Doodledog Wed 17-Mar-21 16:20:15

It is a real mess. We are in Band E, but there are only two of us left, so our cost to the council is far less than a family in a Band B or C property who will use far more services. Linking the tax to what a drive-by assessor of your property deemed to be its value 35 years ago is nonsense - nobody's use of council services is linked to the value of their house, and anyway, property values have shifted since streets were last assessed.

I don't mind paying for services I don't use, as others do use them and it's swings and roundabouts, but I do object to paying the same as a household of six, particularly when there is a discount for single people which recognises that the fewer people at an address, the less they spend.

It gets even more complicated where discounts are concerned - eg if a group of students live together they pay no council tax, but as soon as one of them graduates or leaves their course the whole household is liable to pay.

I don't know what would be fair, really. Things do have to be paid for, and in the long run it is fairer if we all pay to make services available to those who want or need them, but neither house value nor household size seems a sensible basis for determining the charge. Maybe individual bills would make sense, with discounts where applicable, or a ring-fenced addition to income tax? That could be shared amongst councils on a per capita basis, so that people in less wealthy areas don't suffer from the 'double whammy' of getting fewer services from a cash-strapped council.

Sara1954 Wed 17-Mar-21 16:26:33

Mine just came through the door, and it seems quite an increase this year.
But as Aveline said, services have to be paid for.

Blossoming Wed 17-Mar-21 16:30:21

grandmajet ours is the same.

timetogo2016 Wed 17-Mar-21 16:39:18

I agree Kim19,Ours has gone up nearly £100.
Councils are a law unto themselves.
They have so much power too.
You can`t argue with them.

suziewoozie Wed 17-Mar-21 16:40:50

Doodledog I think the points you raise just demonstrate what a dog’s breakfast it is. Council Tax is really more or less the same as the rates system it replaced and fundamentally has nothing to do with household composition, income or service use ( apart from tweaks like single person discount and whatever CT benefit is now called). The Poll Tax was a controversial idea as it was flat rate regardless of income. The LbDems used to favour local income tax - don’t know of they still do. The majority of local govt spending is funded by grants from the government according to a formula that is heavily criticised depending on if your council is a winner ot loser. It’s just a mess, no one is going to tackle it.

suziewoozie Wed 17-Mar-21 16:44:39

Councils are not a law unto themselves - there are govt imposed limits on how much they can increase the CT by every year and they are subject to tight legislative and financial frameworks. The main problem they face is the fact that central govt grants to councils have been slashed over the last 10 years.

PamelaJ1 Wed 17-Mar-21 16:48:39

suziewoozie isn’t our council tax now a flat rate regardless of income? Same as the poll tax?
I thought that the poll tax was based on the number of working adults in a property. I was living in tied property so didn’t take as much notice as I should have.

Juliet27 Wed 17-Mar-21 16:51:55

That is a lot grannysyb. Ours is the same for Band F - I argued the band but never got anywhere.