Gransnet forums

House and home

Fitted sheets; new elastic or new sheet?

(23 Posts)
rowyn Sat 20-Mar-21 16:52:01

Do others put new elastic into fitted sheets or do you go and buy new ones? I've always replaced the elastic, but I'm getting very tempted to just go and buy new!!

Whiff Sat 20-Mar-21 16:59:42

For what fitted sheets cost it's not worth putting in new elastic old ones. There are plenty of supermarkets , Wilko's, Dunelm which sell very good quality ones at reasonable prices.

timetogo2016 Sat 20-Mar-21 17:03:22

Blimey rowyn,that would not have entered my head.
New ones for sure.

Pantglas2 Sat 20-Mar-21 17:05:28

I’ve always found that by the time the elastic has ceased to be, well, elastic... the sheet has worn thin in places anyway so ready for window cleaning!

If I was truly my mother’s daughter of course, I’d be doing the topping/tailing thing?

GrandmaKT Sat 20-Mar-21 17:19:21

Gosh, never considered replacing the elastic! Lots of uses for old sheets for decorating etc. I recently used old duvets to envelop the TV and curtains when we were decorating - worked very well!

TrendyNannie6 Sat 20-Mar-21 17:29:46

Never put new elastic in anything I’m afraid, always go out and buy new, Egyptian cotton for me, love those sheets

PamelaJ1 Sat 20-Mar-21 17:54:20

Whiff

For what fitted sheets cost it's not worth putting in new elastic old ones. There are plenty of supermarkets , Wilko's, Dunelm which sell very good quality ones at reasonable prices.

It’s called being eco friendly!?
I’ve just sewn elastic on 2 corners of my fitted sheet. Nothing wrong with the fabric so why get rid. I do like really nice sheets, shame the elastic doesn’t last as long as the fabric.
Save the world rowyn . Together we can do it??

Charleygirl5 Sat 20-Mar-21 17:54:50

It would never enter my head apart from the minor fact I would not have a clue how to do it. New for me every time.

Jaxjacky Sat 20-Mar-21 18:53:34

I might manage a large elastic band or a bungee cord! I’ve not sewn since school.

sodapop Sat 20-Mar-21 20:40:46

I've given up completely with fitted sheets and just use flat ones with neatly tucked hospital corners.

Tangerine Sat 20-Mar-21 20:48:32

Unless I particularly liked needlework, I would not dream of putting new elastic into fitted sheets.

I'd just buy new ones. They don't need replacing very often.

Coolgran65 Sat 20-Mar-21 22:20:39

I buy new and use the old ones for dust/painting sheets.

Hetty58 Sat 20-Mar-21 22:30:13

I use binder clips at the corners:

www.shineyourlightblog.com/keep-fitted-sheets-bed-qtt-back/

Callistemon Sat 20-Mar-21 23:11:48

If I was truly my mother’s daughter of course, I’d be doing the topping/tailing thing

Sides to middle, Pantglas

I used to dislike the sheets when my mother had a sides to middle session! Even though she French seamed them all neatly, I was still aware of the seam down the middle of the sheets.

Old sheets are always useful, rowyn so buy new ones.

Whiff Sun 21-Mar-21 07:10:11

PamelaJ1 I am eco friendly. Along with usually recycling all old fabrics go to be recycled. Do you drive? If so is your car electric ? I don't drive. Nor I have a I flown anywhere for 20 years. There is being eco friendly and just saying you are.

Putting elastic in old sheets doesn't make you eco friendly. How you live your life does.

Kim19 Sun 21-Mar-21 07:22:08

The very thought of replacing the elastic boggles my mind. Where would one start? Nope, sewing mistress despaired of me too!

Calendargirl Sun 21-Mar-21 07:52:52

Have never had the elastic go before holes have appeared in the sheet.

But if it had, would never replace elastic. I struggle to sew a button on. Not proud of that, but have always hated anything to do with needles and thread.

As others have said, old bed linen used as dust sheets.

Witzend Sun 21-Mar-21 07:59:18

Our mattress is a weird size* between king and super king, so I’ve always had to order fitted sheets. Just as well they’re getting very thin and worn by the time the elastic’s on its last legs.
*I bought the actual bed decades ago, in a sale, when hardly anybody had fitted sheets anyway, so it wasn’t an issue.

H1954 Sun 21-Mar-21 08:08:51

I have never found fitted sheets deep enough with ample "under wrap" for our king size mattress that I could actually afford. Much prefer to buy much larger flat sheets and make my own fitted sheets.........complete with "almost indestructible " elastic.
Might sound a faff to some but at least they fit, they last an age and more importantly, they stay on the mattress!

Whiff Sun 21-Mar-21 10:06:09

H1954 Dunelm sell deep fitted sheets for king size beds. They are the only place I found that gives plenty to go under the mattress. Good quality and wide choice of colours.

Pinkarolina Sun 21-Mar-21 10:12:32

I think I must be the only person to replace the elastic. I bought a huge reel of elastic last year to make face masks. So while I was in sewing mode I replaced the elastic on 3 fitted sheets. Saves buying new which saves the environment and also saves money.

JackyB Sun 21-Mar-21 11:36:07

I mend everything where possible but as others have said, usually there is a hole or at least a very thin patch in the sheet before the elastic goes.

rowyn Sun 21-Mar-21 12:39:27

Well, I must be very gentle with my sheets. I can't remember the last time a sheet wore out! Maybe it's because I have been sleeping on my own for the last 27 years!
As for sewing - there's very little involved. I just unpick each end of the corner and pull out the old elastic, then attach a new piece to a safety pin and thread it through, then sew up the ends. However that's 4 corners per sheet and I seem to have accumulated a number of sheets needing this treatment. Feel guilty if replace with new but, sorry PamelaJ , I'm very tempted by Dunelm and Groupon!