Gransnet forums

House and home

Memory foam mattress

(41 Posts)
Helenlouise3 Wed 07-Apr-21 13:45:20

Does anyone have a memory foam mattress on their bed? I don't mean a mattress topper, but the actual mattress itself. Being a lady of a certain ae lol I have loads of night time flushes and am beginning to think that my memory foam mattress isn't helping, as most of the heat seems to be coming from underneath me rather than on top, if you know what I mean. I only have a 4.5 tog duvet cover yet am awake most of the night as I'm far too warm. I don't want to go to the expense of buying a new mattress if it's not going to make any difference.

vickimason894 Sat 22-May-21 09:05:59

Imperial Rooms offer window curtains online, We have the extensive color range and the good floral designs according to every one choice so that you do not need to wander here and there to get the desired curtain for the window.

vickimason894 Sat 22-May-21 09:05:05

You can also buy fitted sheets at very reasonable prices from Imperia rooms store.

Jemma75 Fri 07-May-21 21:49:39

I had to give up my memory foam mattress and pillows due to my hot-flash nights. Too hot and sweaty for me in those days.

Amberone Fri 07-May-21 08:27:26

Georgesgran

shysal - I’ve just taken delivery of ‘your wishlist’ mattress today. Still in the box until DD1 can help me get it upstairs. I bought it online - half price and opted to pay in 3 installments-interest free.

@Georgesgran

I would be interested to know how you get on with this - I've been considering an octaspring one. The stories of how warm memory foam mattresses are has put me off a bit but this looks like a fusion of sprung and memory foam.

growstuff Fri 07-May-21 02:14:36

I have a memory foam mattress from Dreams. I haven't slept well for over 50 years, but I do get a few hours with my current mattress. I couldn't ever go back to anything but a memory foam mattress - I love it!

Hil1910 Fri 07-May-21 01:24:40

Had a Sleepeezee memory foam mattress for 15 years and have just ordered a replacement from the same company. I’m always cold and love the warmth of memory foam. Also have a 15 tog duvet for winter and a 5 tog one for summer. Happy to take a hot water bottle to bed too.

DiscoDancer1975 Thu 06-May-21 17:11:21

We didn’t fancy the whole mattress being memory foam. Thought we might be too hot, but do have a topper, and it’s lovely. Moulds to your shape which also amuses me as one side is different to the other! Really snug and warm, but not too hot.
Good luck

mrsgreenfingers56 Thu 06-May-21 16:02:23

Didn't get on at all with the memory foam mattress or pillows.

There is a 1 tog quilt available from Dunelm which I have found great when going through the hot sweat stage. So light and yet still a bit of warmth.

Soozikinzi Thu 06-May-21 12:25:07

We had a memory foam mattress but it’s now on the spare bed because we got too hot on it . And we kind of sunk into it so we disturbed more when turning over . We now have a Hypnos mattress which is heavenly!

Bluedaisy Thu 06-May-21 12:18:47

We bought a memory foam mattress in fact we’ve had two.....never again if you want a good nights sleep! The first one I used to sweat to death every night plus we found it flattened to each of our body shapes and in the end we could only sleep a certain way on it, very uncomfortable, so we got rid of it and bought a mattress with a ‘cool gel’ foam topper which again turned out to be worse than useless as I still sweated like mad on that one too so the firm we bought it from luckily took it back and we picked a really lovely pocket sprung one with no foam just pure wool in a topper. I notice they have now stopped selling the cool gel topper mattresses now so they were obviously a problem for other people as well.

vickimason894 Tue 04-May-21 06:58:04

If want to buy small double mattress protector then you can check online store of Imperial Rooms.

timetogo2016 Tue 20-Apr-21 09:46:01

We have a memory foam mattress and it`s great.
And i bought 100% Egyption sheets which helps with the hot flushes.

ScottyP Tue 20-Apr-21 09:39:16

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Jane43 Mon 12-Apr-21 01:30:45

I am a naturally hot person and we have a Tempur memory foam mattress and lift up base. We both find ut very comfortable and not at all hot.

jeanie99 Mon 12-Apr-21 01:18:26

We had a dunlopillo mattress for many years, now have a sprung mattress with form topper, can't say I have noticed the difference in heat.
Perhaps foam varies from one manufacturer to another.

Charleygirl5 Fri 09-Apr-21 08:58:24

I love my memory foam mattress- my bed is still warm after a trip to the loo during the night. I also use a 15 tog duvet so it is a good job we are all different. I also take a hot water bottle to bed because I'm very cold in bed until I warm up.

Georgesgran Thu 08-Apr-21 23:47:20

shysal - I’ve just taken delivery of ‘your wishlist’ mattress today. Still in the box until DD1 can help me get it upstairs. I bought it online - half price and opted to pay in 3 installments-interest free.

Esspee Thu 08-Apr-21 09:35:28

Hot sweaty nasty things, wouldn’t dream of having one after having experienced them when away from home.

shysal Thu 08-Apr-21 09:34:22

When I can afford to upgrade my mattress I shall buy a Dormeo Octaspring. I have their pillow and a topper at the moment and although I am a hot body they don't make me too warm. Good luck with your search.
www.dormeo.co.uk/octaspring

Maggiemaybe Thu 08-Apr-21 09:29:22

It’s strange, isn’t it, how we have different preferences? We bought a memory foam mattress for the spare room when DS and DDIL lived here for a few months and they said it was so comfortable. Weeks later I had to escape there for a night when we had a bee in the bedroom and I hardly slept, it was so hard and I was so warm. DH, on the other hand, liked it so much he threatened to decamp permanently from our usual sprung mattress. smile

silverlining48 Thu 08-Apr-21 09:29:04

Really dislike memory foam
Mattresses. Far too hot. I have a normal sprung one which is fine.

Gagagran Thu 08-Apr-21 09:11:13

We have latex mattresses and find them very comfortable. Got "Waterlattex" ones which come rolled up and expand to shape once you open them. Second time we have had these and prefer them to any other type.

Shandy57 Thu 08-Apr-21 08:20:10

I'm sleeping on my daughter's OTTY memory foam mattress at the moment, it has a cool gel top (no electric blankets can be used on it). Not sure what I think of it, I find it very comfortable, but wake up almost burning with warmth.

KarenR Wed 07-Apr-21 17:23:58

My son and DIL had a memory foam mattress and found it made them very hot and disturbed their sleep. They’ve swapped for a pure latex mattress and are much more happy.

muse Wed 07-Apr-21 17:01:21

I've had a Tempur mattress for 10 years now. Expensive but brilliant.