Gransnet forums

House and home

So how often do you "makeover" your home ?

(83 Posts)
hazel93 Tue 04-May-21 11:25:55

In my case rarely !. I really dislike the concept of constantly following the latest trends re. interior decor, or is it just me ?
I have always found "what goes around comes around " with inevitable regularity.

Callistemon Thu 06-May-21 15:26:27

Whenever we look at downsizing I wonder where my dining table would go and I can hear Kirsty telling me to let it go.
But I can't, my Mum bought it for us, it's dated now but good quality and I like it.

Aepgirl Thu 06-May-21 13:33:07

I think modern furniture is so shoddy. I would rather keep my traditional home that still looks good.

hazel93 Thu 06-May-21 11:55:01

It's good to know how many of us could not give a hoot to "trends" but have our own style that suits us.
I also love the fact we all seem to be very aware of the need to recycle/ refurb. rather than dump.
In my case I do change soft furnishings quite often which means curtains/ sofas etc. cleaned professionally and once colour restored I go mad and buy new cushions. A real big spender me !

Ydoc Thu 06-May-21 11:36:12

Diy helps to keep me sane, i do all diy and all decorating. Im very interested in it too so im always changing things hete and there. Always having better ideas, it also makes things feel fresh and new. Have lived in my house 35 years and i feel it would be stagnant if i didnt change things. Each to their own if you like things to stay the same obviously you should.

Hil1910 Thu 06-May-21 09:26:25

We moved into our forever retirement bungalow nearly 8 yrs ago and did a lot of work to the interior then as well as purchasing new bedroom furniture as we’d had fitted wardrobes in our old flat. We’ve since redecorated (2yrs ago). I inherited a lot of Old Charm furniture which we’ve added to and I don’t really feel the need to replace it as IMO it’s timeless. If anything it’s accessories and soft furnishings that I tend to change. My ongoing project are the gardens which I do tend to chop and change.
Have ordered new mattresses for 2 beds as they’re both 15 plus years old and they’re due in 10 wks time. My better half would like us to replace the oven, hob and extractor as we won’t be going on holiday yet so that’s probably next on the agenda. We’ll then be “done” house wise.

CanadianGran Wed 05-May-21 22:51:06

Only as needs must. I have just ordered a new couch and reclining chair, and purchased another reclining chair in leather for DH. Will pick out new coffee tables when the new furniture arrives. The shop said it could be a few months as Covid has slowed production at the furniture manufacturer. Lamps will remain, but change the shades to a different shape.

We have lived in our house for 38 years, and re-did things as they wore out or we could afford to. I don't think I have ever bought something new for the house if it wasn't needed.

My daughter says the house isn't magazine ready, but feels homey and comfortable.

fluttERBY123 Wed 05-May-21 21:52:15

Twice in 50.years. We still.have the same 3p (52 years) but did have it reupholstered 20 years ago. The first time we had some old fitted cupboards taken out and a new fireplace put in and the second time got rid of a couple of old bookcases, including the books and got a couple of freestanding sideboardy things. We might (or might not)? have repainted a couple of times as well. 2 lots of curtains followed by set of blinds. Can't remember carpets. Probably 4 or maybe three.

Elvis58 Wed 05-May-21 21:27:30

We moved 3 years ago bought our old furniture even curtains all fitted luckily and light fittings.Lived in it for 18 months then lockdown.Painted every room and papared that will be it now for at least 10 years or more.

Happysexagenarian Wed 05-May-21 18:28:30

We don't do makeovers, and certainly don't follow fashion trends. Decorating is only done when it really needs it such as damaged paintwork etc., we find the upheaval hard work now.

When we had the house extended 8 years ago we asked the builders to paint every room the same pale colour (not magnolia!) and to leave us a massive tin of the paint for future repainting. We then painted or papered one or two walls in each room for variety. It still looks really fresh and we have plenty of paint left.

Being a keen crafter, I do make new soft furnishings when the fancy takes me - cushions, curtains, loose covers, lampshades etc., and occasionally upcycle furniture.

Rosina Wed 05-May-21 17:41:56

We had our first dining room suite for thirty five years, and the one that replaced it was a second hand, of very good quality. I have bought furniture over the years, mostly second hand, as the furniture I like is no longer made. I get a great sense of satisfaction from tracking down pieces, sometimes taking a long time to find them, and then restoring them. My home is 'different' because of this, and as for colours, I have stuck with the same shades that I love and feel comfortable living with for all these years. I do like the trend for grey as it is easy to live with and practically any colour will look good with it, but so many people are now painting everything in sight in the colour, even having replacement window frames and doors in dark grey, that I fear they may all get heartily sick of it before long!

Caligrandma Wed 05-May-21 17:32:10

Once every 10 to 15 years. Not a full makeover but paint color, decor. I always tell my husband (as a joke) - better than changing husband's. I do keep what I love, that's for sure. My husband keeps what he loves. Took me 20 years to change out his favorite chair. He picked a new one and we are all happy.

Bijou Wed 05-May-21 17:07:19

Since I did all my own decorating about twelve years ago nothing has been done. My kitchen is the original one from 1968 which suits me because there are no high wall cupboards and the units are wood. Most of my carpeting is forty years old. Water colour pictures painted by my late husband and cross stitched ones by myself and tapestry cushions my work. Round mahogany coffee bought by my mother when I was a baby 97 years ago.

GreenGran78 Wed 05-May-21 15:01:23

For most of my married life I relied on hand-me-down and second hand furniture. I coped with cooking for seven in a very small kitchen, and put up with everyone complaining about not being able to get into the bathroom.
Years after the children had flown the nest we could finally afford to extend and remodel the kitchen, exchange the bath for a large walk-in shower, and install a downstairs loo.
The rest of the house is still much the same, but my DD and GD, their 2 dogs and all their furniture moved in 3 months ago, and are likely to be here for many more months until their new house is renovated. I gave away my large sofa and dining table to make more space. Once they have moved out I may take the plunge and completely redo my living room, which has never happened in the 55 years I have lived here. At 81, common sense tells me not to bother, but I have never, ever, gone out and bought a complete new ‘look’ for a room. I have had one hell of a year., in many ways. Maybe I will enjoy the experience, and a fresh start.

FlexibleFriend Wed 05-May-21 14:02:23

I decorated the whole house inside and out when I bought it 22 years ago. Since then I have redecorated throughout probably twice and keep paint touched up etc. in between. I like it to look clean and fresh so the paintbrushes come out quite often. The kitchen was completely done 20 years ago and since then has had new worktops, sink, hob and oven about 5 years ago. It's not showing any signs of wear now. I also replaced all my lounge furniture about 5 years ago after my divorce, I wanted a fresh start but it was all mine anyway but it kept my mind occupied and off the divorce. Last year we ripped the bathroom out and started over, I didn't dislike it before but thought it was a bit dated and now absolutely love it. I spend a lot of time at home so think I should enjoy where I live. Nearly forgot in 2018 I had the conservatory redone, new roof, windows and doors lighting and got rid of the ceiling fans. So in hindsight I decorate quite a lot.

Lilyflower Wed 05-May-21 13:35:42

My beloved house is my haven and castle and I love it to look calm, clean and elegant. With only two of us and a grown up son here now, nothing gets very dirty or used-looking so the decorating intervals are getting longer. When I painted my hall, stairs, landing and main room downstairs just after Christmas they hadn't been done for 13 years. They looked quite amazing when all the paint was spanking new, though.

SecondhandRose Wed 05-May-21 13:35:23

I love to change things around from room to room and change paint colours. I move ornaments alot too.

Auntieflo Wed 05-May-21 13:33:30

Our house was painted throughout, about 4 years ago.
Recently we have had all new new radiators .
Today have had all blinds measured up for replacement, and in June we are having some electrical work done, that is probably overdue.
So nothing as drastic as a complete makeover, but it's enough for us at the moment.

Leavesden Wed 05-May-21 13:31:49

We take pride in our home and like to see it looking clean and fresh, we try to decorate a room at least every 4-5 years. Surely a kitchen in particular needs decorating regularly because cooking makes walls dirty. If you live in a tidy and clean house it makes you feel better.

Esspee Wed 05-May-21 13:15:46

I wouldn’t dream of doing a “makeover”. Yes I have updated my bathrooms, the kitchen was updated about 15 years ago and still looks great to me and as I am the only person who matters in this equation I am content.

PinkCosmos Wed 05-May-21 13:00:42

Our house was wall to wall magnolia woodchip when we moved in. I have repainted all of it in Dulux Timeless which is a soft cream. I couldn't bring myself to strip all the woodchip off and end up with (possibly) a massive re-plastering job.

My lounge has neutral coloured sofas but I like to change the cushions and throws two or three times a year. I keep the old cushion covers and will have them out again if I fancy. I also have one wall painted in a feature colour (nothing too dark) which is easy to change at the same time.

I prefer mirrors to pictures.

It seems that grey has had it's day - thank goodness. I was never keen as it can look so gloomy in the UK. Quite partial to greige though.

TrishJ Wed 05-May-21 12:57:46

I’m with Kissngate here! We bought two sofas from Multiyork 28 years ago and have changed the covers once. Walls are emulsion so easy to paint and I change the cushion covers, rug and curtains every two or three years. Just like it to look nice and fresh!

Llamedos13 Wed 05-May-21 12:54:09

There’s nothing I like more than a decorating project,deciding on paint colour, mooching around the home stores for accessories ,tearing the room apart then painting the walls. Putting it all back together then standing back to admire the new look.Gives me great satisfaction.

lemongrove Wed 05-May-21 12:41:42

It’s hard to say, because we have moved house a great deal, and often had to buy new things to fit etc.We have been in our present house a long time though ( ten years) and have decorated the whole house twice in that time and changed the carpets once ( due for a change soon.) We don’t change sofas very often ( rarely buy chairs) so buy good quality ones to last.
All light wood furniture in the house here.

Lillie Wed 05-May-21 12:38:42

Not very often, except if we are selling it.

bear1 Wed 05-May-21 12:36:32

we have to rent due to circumstances so we cannot decorate when ever we want and as its rented from a private landlord through an agency we have to abide by the contract which says no alterations unless landlord says yes