Gransnet forums

House and home

Fabric or leather furniture? Help me decide.

(117 Posts)
supernanauna1 Mon 10-May-21 18:54:45

We desperately need a couch and armchair - what we have is a mess. It's a type of corduroy fabric which wasn't too bad until our three year old GD came to live here - you can imagine the way things went after that.

Now that she's seven I think we'd be safe to buy new furniture but I'm torn between fabric - which I prefer - and leather which would be easier to keep clean.

Even at age seven, accidents can happen. We've always been happy about food being brought into the sittingroom, and that won't change.

So which is best? I always think leather is cold in winter and warm and sticky in summer but maybe I'm wrong.

Help please?

Nannashirlz Thu 19-Oct-23 16:36:48

I used to have leather sofa but in winter it is freezing lol I’ve just bought a velvet one it’s so comfortable and I’ve got throws for grandkids to sit on lol. Years ago when my sons were teenagers I bought a sofa and I said to my sons no drinks on the sofa. First day I sat down with my coffee and finger slipped and yep I did it lol spilled my coffee all over myself and sofa luckily it could be stripped and into washer it doesn’t have to be kids to make a mess. I was going for leather again but when I saw this one it was love at first sight I even went away and looked at others but I ended up coming back to this one.

garnet25 Mon 16-Oct-23 16:02:04

Our leather Chesterfield is 0ver 50 years old now and is still in a great condition. It is definitely the quality of the leather that counts.

Callistemon21 Mon 16-Oct-23 15:36:51

Reported.

Ankorumf Mon 16-Oct-23 15:34:16

Deciding between fabric and leather furniture can be a tough call. Fabric is cozy, but it can be a bit challenging to keep clean, especially with little ones around. Leather is easier to maintain, but you're right; it can feel cold in winter and sticky in summer. I stumbled upon a helpful blog post on the Von Baer webpage that discusses leather, which might provide some insights into your decision.Considering your preference for fabric and the coziness it offers, you could always opt for a fabric couch with removable, washable covers.

supernanauna1 Fri 14-May-21 19:17:46

I can't believe what a big response my question has received! Thank you all so much.

I think I'll have a look at IKEA since they sell loose covers - might come in handy!

Thanks a million to all you nice people x.

annodomini Thu 13-May-21 15:08:15

DS and his partner bought leather furniture several years ago. It has worn well, but when I sit on it, I find myself sliding forwards and have to keep pulling myself up. Their cats like it though, and, unlike fabric upholstery, it seems to be impervious to cats' scratches.

Mollygo Thu 13-May-21 14:26:30

If you like to wear shorts and strappy tops in the summer, anything you sit on will leave marks including cable-car seats, garden furniture, metal or basketwork seats in cafés. ???

effalump Thu 13-May-21 12:50:08

If you like to wear shorts and strappy tops in summer, you will end up with red patches on the backs of your legs and your back as you peel yourself away from the leather if the weather is warm and you're a bit, shall we say, damp!

Rowsie Thu 13-May-21 11:54:03

I have always found leather to be a bit cold. Not for me at all.

Craftycat Thu 13-May-21 11:47:58

We bought a leather suite about 15 years ago. It is still in perfect condition. It is so easy to mop up any spills & I love the smell of the spray leather shine polish. It is 2 chairs & a 3 seater settee- all of which recline. The only problem is that it is so comfortable we often fall asleep watching TV. We have 4 cats & they have never clawed it as they did our fabric ones.

Shandy57 Thu 13-May-21 10:57:57

One thing I didn't like about my chesterfield was having to hoover all the 'navels'! As I went to the beach every day sand would accumulate in there, my son won't have the same problem.

I'm definitely going fabric when I buy, currently sitting on the seller's old Ektorp Ikea sofa.

AlexG Thu 13-May-21 09:51:35

Leather every time. Have just replaced our leather suite after 23 years and although it had gone saggy and had little back support left, the leather was still like new. It was expensive when bought though. Have replaced it was an Italian suite which is also leather. Never found it hot in summer, cold in winter or sticky. Our old dog used to sit on the old suite and it never showed a scratch.

misty34 Wed 12-May-21 23:22:10

We had the same dilemma 2 yrs ago. Previous sofa was leather and I fancied a change when it needed replacing so opted for fabric but I rue the day we did it. Forever cleaning fabric sofa. It looks shabby already. I have to vacuum it daily for pet hairs. We were told by salesman that they just wipe off with a damp cloth. They don't, they get fully woven into the fabric. I would go back to leather tomorrow if I could afford to but will have to wait awhile.

Lizzyflip Wed 12-May-21 22:42:44

Leather definitely. Make sure it's a good quality one though. My daughter bought a cheap one and it's just leather faced and it's cracked and pealed. Looks a right mess. I've had mine 12 years and it's as good as new. Grandchildren jump all over it and it's so easy to clean.

Yorki Wed 12-May-21 22:38:26

Seat

Yorki Wed 12-May-21 22:38:04

Buy a suite you like and put a throw on your grandchilds sita.

mphammersley Wed 12-May-21 19:40:10

Out of personal choice I would never choose leather. I would prefer material, but with cats and grandchildren around I always have cheap and colourful throws to put on, takes the worry away.

adaunas Wed 12-May-21 19:29:18

What it comes down to is personal preference. I like leather. Our living room has 9 year old leather furniture which looks lovely. I don’t stick to it and it is only cold when I first sit down, a bit like sheets on your bed.
Our dining room/extension has fabric, because it includes a sofa bed. I like it.
Anyone else think saying someone’s furniture choice is ‘tacky’ as someone did at 12.35 is rude?

Purpledaffodil Wed 12-May-21 19:14:44

Oddly we had leather initially because cats scratched the fabric ones to pieces but never marked the leather ones. After 14 years we have replaced with more leather, no cats now but like the way we don’t need to worry about spillages. They are not slippery or sticky either. I think it is about quality. Think how tatty cheap leather handbags can quickly become.?

CBT61 Wed 12-May-21 18:59:47

I have a leather chair and I like it but it is a bit slippery. We are looking for a new sofa at the moment as we are redesigning the sitting room and the existing sofa has been scratched to pieces by a naughty cat. ( She is now kept out of the room unless we are in there!) I am definitely getting a fabric one with washable covers. The best sofa we ever had was an IKEA ektorp when the children were little- comfy and washable and survived being made into a den, a trampoline and a bed! If only I liked the current colours I’d have another like a shot!

FranT Wed 12-May-21 17:56:16

Fabric is cosier, but having a Jack Russell who sheds so much hair, I don't understand how she isn't bald, we went for leather, as it's so much easier to clean,we usually put a throw on if it's chilly.

Elvis58 Wed 12-May-21 17:26:16

I had a leather pair of sofas for 14 years and decided when l moved l wanted a fabric sofa, 18 months later got rid of it.Every hair, mark had to wiped off it.Bought leather again very happy with it.

GreenGran78 Wed 12-May-21 16:30:02

I had been thinking of exchanging my large curved fabric sofa for a smaller one. When the need came for DD, GD, all their furniture and 2 dogs to move in with me for some months I sold the sofa to make more space. We are currently using DDs leather one. I hate it, and as soon as they move out I will be looking for a nice fabric one.
I have noticed that there seem to be a lot of leather sofas and chairs being offered on our local Giveaway site. Are they going out of fashion?
My main sofa problem is not the fabric, though, but the fact that most of them are far too deep for my little 5 foot nothing size. If I sit back my legs stick straight out in front of me, and I struggle to get up again. I either have to tuck up my legs (not graceful if visiting someone’s house) or stuff several cushions behind me, ( which is also socially awkward). I usually try to find a dining-type chair to sit on.

Tickledpink Wed 12-May-21 15:59:38

If I changed my suite I’d most likely choose leather again. We’ve had ours for 15 plus years and it was a sound investment. I use a baby wipe to clean it. We chose a dark colour as more practical with growing family. It was expensive to buy, including footstools and pouffes but we’ll worth it as still comfortable and looking smart. Also the different light during the day and lighting at night reflects off the leather which I really like. Not sticky, cold or too warm. Buy from a good shop or reputable company to get the best quality you can afford. We paid for ours monthly interest free.

Nanette1955 Wed 12-May-21 15:35:04

Fabric every time, sitting on leather is never a cosy experience x