Gransnet forums

House and home

Energy bills

(84 Posts)
hamster58 Fri 14-May-21 08:39:54

Is there anyone out there who can offer any advice here please.....

My elderly mum lives in a small apartment. She has 2 electric radiators - her own choice as she said the storage heaters were not warm enough for her - which are set at 23 from 7am - 11pm. These therefore click on and off all throughout the day to keep it that warm. Other than that she has a radio on during the morning, and tv on from early afternoon till she goes to bed around 10. She uses her electric cooker for no more than an hour each day and the lighting wherever she is at the time(her kitchen and bathroom both have fluorescent tubes and the kitchen one is on most of the day). She has an electric blanket on for about an hour during the evening

Her bills are exorbitant for just this - around £175 is taken monthly by whichever energy company she is with.

Does anyone have any experience to tell me if this sounds logical or if there may be an issue with her supply? She is in a purpose built block but each resident has their own supply.

Thanks to everyone is advance

FarNorth Sat 15-May-21 07:32:11

M0nica yes, and if she simply stopped using the storage heaters and started using ordinary radiators instead, she may still be on the storage heater tariff (Economy 7 or suchlike) meaning that daytime units are very expensive.

NotSpaghetti Sat 15-May-21 08:16:09

Can she use the storage heaters as background heat (which is what they are made for) and then "top up" with the radiators. It sounds like she's got both? ...or did she have the storage heaters removed?

M0nica Sat 15-May-21 08:59:42

Interesting point NotSpaghetti. I read it as 'replaced' , but on closer scrutiny it isn't that clear and you are right, FarNorth about the price of the units.

The price I used was our home standard tariff, not the storage rads plus radiator top-up, but either would explain the very high bills.

Cherrytree59 Sat 15-May-21 10:05:53

Hamster might be worth looking at warm homes discount scheme .

NotSpaghetti Sat 15-May-21 11:02:33

Having come to the thread late I skipped past some reading and then did as you did M0nica - made a rough calculation based on 3kw electric convection heaters and it was way more. Then realised about the expensive daytime tariff and went back and read the thread (?) before I posted! I saw you'd done something similar so gave up. But, there's also the standing charge - could be up to 35p a day depending on supplier which could add a further £10.50 per month.

I think we need more info to be truly helpful here.

M0nica Sat 15-May-21 16:45:34

NotSpaghetti Ah, I did my caculatins on a 2kw oil filled radiator. We currently heat our kitchen with one, until the heating for our extension is done.

But I must reiterate the importance of insulation. We have managed to halve our energy consumption over the years by a systematic programme of insulation and draft reduction, we have a very old house (550 years) and its Listed status does limit what we can do, very little double glazing, for example but it is surprising how effective roof insulation and draft proofing can be and we have put internal secondary glazing on quite a number of windows.

PaperMonster Sat 15-May-21 19:36:26

That sounds expensive. We are in a three bed mid terrace and we are on all electric paying £155 a month. The electric heaters are on for about six hours a day when it’s cold. Usually spend about £8 a day on electric in the colder months; about £1.50 the rest of the time. The heaters replaced storage heaters, which were much better and cheaper! But some people didn’t realise that they were supposed to change tariffs so were paying even more. My neighbour is on E7 but her storage heaters don’t work and she uses oil heaters which will be expensive.

Buttercup1954 Sun 16-May-21 10:41:02

It's probably correct because electricity is extortionate. She needs to find a cheaper method of heating her flat.

SusiQ8 Sun 16-May-21 10:47:40

Very comprehensive answer MOnica. Hope that helps hamster58. I’m with Octopus and they seem quite reasonable. There’s no point in quoting my monthly figures as I have solar panels and have been known, in the summer, to only pay around £10-12.

4allweknow Sun 16-May-21 11:00:00

Given the length of time the heating is on, the kind of heating used and the temperature to be maintained any bill will be high. Perhaps looking at energy providers could give a better deal. Noticed no washing machine mentioned.

nipsmum Sun 16-May-21 11:00:42

Try them turning them down a couple of degrees. Its unlikely she will notice the difference and it might make a difference to the bills. What she is paying seems a bit high to me. Maybe try changing supplier too. That helped mine.

SusieFlo Sun 16-May-21 11:07:14

Electric radiators just guzzle the juice in my experience.

Aepgirl Sun 16-May-21 11:07:20

This seems really high. However, I know electric heaters can be very energy ‘hungry’ so that may be the problem

I think your mother needs to seek expert advice.

JaneD666 Sun 16-May-21 11:08:37

I'd recommend getting a smart meter, so you can see what's using all the energy (although I agree with everyone else that it's likely to be the electric radiators). The energy supplier will fit one free of charge (I'd also recommend switching to Octopus). You can turn everything off and check the meter's reading zero, then turn things on one at a time. Worth checking she's not overpaying, but I know from my own Mum how important it is to be warm when you're old, so as long as your Mum can afford it, and you've checked everything is as insulated and energy-saving as possible, I let her be!

NotSpaghetti Sun 16-May-21 11:16:26

PaperMonster if you are spending £8 a day in the colder months If this lady spent £8 all year it would be £240 or there abouts each month. You are mid terrace (so generally warmer) and only use 6 hours when it’s cold. I think you are obviously mindful of the costs and how best to work your method of heating.

I think this amount is a simple equation. Desired temperature is very high, it’s on for hours on end and it’s probably on an economy 7 type tariff.
Electricity can be an expensive way to heat a home.

Aveline Sun 16-May-21 11:16:43

When we moved to our uninsulated 60s built flat we took out the storage heaters and replaced them with energy efficient radiators. They're filled with antifreeze and have timers on them. Double glazing and fleece lined curtains help. We're never cold.
I queried a recent increase in my DD and found that we'd used much more electricity over the last year. Probably due to being at home more in lockdown and cold winter and spring. Our flat has three public, three bedrooms, two bathrooms and lots of storage. Bill went up to £140 pcm which seemed OK under the circs. It'll come down over the summer. We're with EDF.

readalot Sun 16-May-21 11:32:46

I pay 133 pounds direct debit each month for gas and electric. My electricity bill is usually about 124 pounds a quarter. I live in a two bedroom house, we have a lot of things on during the day such as teles, computers, I'm always charging my kindle and tablets. I have an electric oven, I do a few loads of washing a week and I also have a tumble dryer which gets used a lot so I would think your mum's is quite high. Why don't you look round for a cheaper tariff

Merryweather Sun 16-May-21 11:42:26

This is why I don't put the heating on. It's just unaffordable. My bill for a 2-bed mid-terrace, 8 years old is £60- for gas and electricity. Gas used for hot water as we don't have an electric shower but a combi boiler so no excess hot water.
I use money supermarket instant switch so once a cheaper tariff is found I instantly switch. No phone calls no faff, direct debit just switches to whoever is the cheapest. Our bill was cheaper when my partner wasn't using his gaming laptop for 6/7 hours a day, but that's a whole other issue.

schnackie Sun 16-May-21 11:46:18

I live in a similar small 2nd floor flat, with only electric radiators for heat. The whole building is electric only. I was paying between £5 - £7 per day for most of the winter, and so-called spring, but suddenly I went on a very restricted diet with packaged/microwave foods and my electric usage dropped like a rock! It was apparently the electric cooker/oven that was using up so much electricity in my case! shock

EmilyHarburn Sun 16-May-21 11:50:45

Does your mother have a pull down blind aginst the window behind the curtains, this can help prevent very cold draughts of air from chilled windows.

Also your mum's clothes. Has she got real wool socks & leg warmers? Does she have thermal vests - long sleeved, short sleeved and opera top according to the season. Does she have a real wool jersey that opens down the front and she can put over all her clothes, does she have thermal longjohns to wear under her trousers or as leggings under a skirt. Does she have a fleecy dressing down that will go over all of this? (perhaps not over the jersey). In bed does she have a wool poncho to put on when she sits up ( far better than bed jacket) she can use her dressing gown over it. Does she sleep in bedsocks? Are her slippers cosy and safe.

Merryweather Sun 16-May-21 11:50:53

Forgot to mention, we have at least two loads of washing a day, no tumble dryer as my baby uses washable nappies so there's an extra two washes a week- minimum. Our washer is A++ rated and only 6 months old so that helps. Older appliances tend to be less energy efficient.
I do cook a lot too. Which helps with the heating- or lack thereof.

NanaPlenty Sun 16-May-21 12:23:29

I don’t think electric rads are great economically but yes 23 is quite a high temp and when you are sitting around all day/elderly it’s easy to feel cold. Make sure she has a big warm card to help maybe? We’ve just had our monthly payment increased by Bulb who have been great but prices have risen and we’ve used more gas and electric during lockdown. I think it’s something you need to review regularly.

Nannashirlz Sun 16-May-21 12:30:43

Hi yes unfortunately that’s about right I would say because I’ve also got them and they are expensive to have on. I’m live in a flat and I also have a electric throw which is only thing I turn on. If I run my radiator my electric meter goes in over drive like it’s going to take off lol. When mine had serving the man said only run the one in the room your in. Your waste money heating up rooms your not in. It’s my first time with all electric. I also feel cold but I dared run all day in fear of what your mum is paying.

Annaram1 Sun 16-May-21 12:40:53

I am with Scottish Power. I tried changing to another supplier when I heard S P were putting their rates up. Apparently the switch did not go through. Yesterday I got another bill for £260 which is for dual fuel . This is the highest ever. I have a 3 bed flat and I am careful with my use of power. I watch TV a lot but have the lights off as much as possible. My flat is ground floor in a 215 year old building. Some windows are double glazed but not all. I use the central heating at this time of year from about 10 pm until 1 am and it is set to 21 degrees. I am going to try to switch again.

Buttonjugs Sun 16-May-21 12:44:01

I am in agreement with others, 23c does sound very high for a constant temperature. Electric heating is notoriously expensive. Who is taking the meter readings? Might be an idea to check they tally with the readings on the bill.