Gransnet forums

House and home

Energy bills

(84 Posts)
hamster58 Fri 14-May-21 08:39:54

Is there anyone out there who can offer any advice here please.....

My elderly mum lives in a small apartment. She has 2 electric radiators - her own choice as she said the storage heaters were not warm enough for her - which are set at 23 from 7am - 11pm. These therefore click on and off all throughout the day to keep it that warm. Other than that she has a radio on during the morning, and tv on from early afternoon till she goes to bed around 10. She uses her electric cooker for no more than an hour each day and the lighting wherever she is at the time(her kitchen and bathroom both have fluorescent tubes and the kitchen one is on most of the day). She has an electric blanket on for about an hour during the evening

Her bills are exorbitant for just this - around £175 is taken monthly by whichever energy company she is with.

Does anyone have any experience to tell me if this sounds logical or if there may be an issue with her supply? She is in a purpose built block but each resident has their own supply.

Thanks to everyone is advance

Katie59 Tue 18-May-21 07:22:01

The advantage of a halogen heater is that it heats the object the “rays” fall on not the air in between. They are used a lot in churches that are only occupied for a few hours a week, years ago we had one in the bathroom before central heating.

So if you sit in front of a modern halogen heater it will keep you warm but won’t heat the room.

NotSpaghetti Tue 18-May-21 08:27:14

I had a halogen heater 2 years ago and it was not my idea of cosy. Too directional and too bright..
It is fine in a church as it’s fast.

Shropshirelass Tue 18-May-21 09:42:26

Electric heaters are very expensive to run. Storage heaters used correctly work very well, but the input has to be on maximum and then control the output, modern storage heaters are very good. Many people do not put enough heat in to last all day and then feel that they are not good enough but used correctly they are more than enough. Might be worth looking into, also having economy 7 so that most of the input is in the cheaper time. It makes a big difference.

M0nica Tue 18-May-21 10:05:02

It doesn't matter. The prices given are for the output of the standard appliance you buy in the shops. This differs from appliance to appliance.

If someone has a fan heater, it is likely to be a 2kw output, if its an oil-filled radiator, 1.5 kw and so on.

It is giving the cost of running the standard appliance you will buy in Currys (for exampe) so that you can balance the appliance you choose against the cost of running it.

MamaCaz Tue 18-May-21 10:27:45

hamster58.

Rather looking at the monthly direct debit amount, have you looked at the monthly/quarterly bills to see how many kw/hrs of electricity are actually being used, and how this differs throughout the year?

You would expect to see that your mum is using far, far less electricity in the summer months, when those electric radiators should rarely be on.
If that's not the case, there is something strange going on that needs looking into.

In fact, if you want to confirm that the radiators are the problem, might it be possible for you to take actual meter readings both morning and evening on a day when the radiators are in use, then do the same the next day (perhaps taking her out for the whole day so she needn't be too cold?) so you can get a rough idea of how much they use each day?

I realise that this might not be practical unless you live close to your mum, and would also have been most 'telling' if done in the cold winter months when the radiators are using most energy, but even done now, it might shed more light on the problem.

NotSpaghetti Tue 18-May-21 10:49:22

You are right of course M0nica - I was still thinking of the actual heat output though.

I think really this post is becoming circular in that now people are talking about economy7 and storage heaters again.

The OP says she's changed her tariff so I think that's about it to be honest.
I think you and I agree M0nica that it's largely the temperature that the OP's mother likes (and the length of time the heating is on) that's the issue here. At least the OP can see where the big bills come from now.

Katie59 Tue 18-May-21 11:31:19

I’m not sure than any company is offering “economy 7” these days, I’m getting quotes to renew now and most offer a “night” rate but it’s only a few pence lower than full rate and that only for 4 hours.

Storage heaters are better than they used to be but heat in the evenings is asking a lot when they stop heating at 5am.

Katie59 Tue 18-May-21 12:27:18

I have found some Economy 7 contracts around 20p day units and 15p night units compared with 16p all day price from my best price so far.
So you do pay dearly for day units.