Gransnet forums

House and home

Fully tiled versus half tiled bathroom

(55 Posts)
Sparkling Mon 14-Jun-21 21:15:49

Having a walk in shower replacing my bath and been intending on having it fully tiled. I wonder however whether it will look too clinical. Any suggestions please.

M0nica Wed 16-Jun-21 08:48:55

I am having a few problems at the moment with messages turning up on the wrong thread.

Since I read a thread and immediately reply and never have more than one thread open at a time, I am not sure what is causing this.

Kim19 Wed 16-Jun-21 04:38:05

Love my tiles even after 46 years. Splash wet effect with random injection of flower singles. Fully covered apart from one long sliver of wall which I repaint from time to time to inject change. Currently shocking pink. Further 'shocking' is that I have fitted carpet in there. Love it.

nanna8 Wed 16-Jun-21 02:07:44

Most of them are fully tiled here, there are a lot of lovely tiles around and you can put a few contrast tiles in if you like. Even pebble types for a natural look. I wouldn’t have the whole bathroom fully tiled, though,as I think it would be a bit ‘cell like’.

NotSpaghetti Tue 15-Jun-21 23:10:05

Ellianne

Well I'd give all demonstrators a very cold shower M0nica, or better still use a water cannon!
grin

gringringrin

mrswoo Tue 15-Jun-21 22:36:51

When we bought our house - a typical 1930s semi - the bathroom was tiled floor to ceiling with white tiles. It looked cold, clinical and was difficult to keep clean. We replaced them with large green tiles ( very in keeping with the age of the property) mostly plain but with random patterned tiles adding a bit of interest. The non wet walls are half tiled / half plastered and painted. It looks good.

Ellianne Tue 15-Jun-21 22:14:53

Well I'd give all demonstrators a very cold shower M0nica, or better still use a water cannon!
grin

M0nica Tue 15-Jun-21 21:28:13

In the past all demonstrators were lefties and right wingers stood on their rectitude that those who were on there side of the divide knew better and were law abiding. How things have changed!

nadateturbe Tue 15-Jun-21 17:31:33

I've just googled and you can buy shower pods but they are quite expensive.

timetogo2016 Tue 15-Jun-21 17:21:09

For me it would be PVC panelling,no grouting,just a wipe down.
I had it in my previous bathroom and loved it.
Loads of colours/paterns to choose from.
Going to have it again in the near future.

Visgir1 Tue 15-Jun-21 17:13:33

Never again fully tiled.
I had x2 bathrooms both fully tiled
Over time you will need to change. They had to go, what a saga!
They wouldn't come off we had to to fully replace the stud wall they were attached to. Absolutely a nightmare!
We have only put tiles around the "wet" areas now.
Plus we have an suite shower room in my daughters bedroom , we used "Shower wall" that's fabulous, especially for teenagers.

Greenfinch Tue 15-Jun-21 15:03:08

We have two bathrooms. One we had fully tiled and the other just partially. I like them both equally. It is more about the colour really.

Pittcity Tue 15-Jun-21 14:53:58

You can even get the plastic moulded panels that look like tiles. We are having a grey and white marble effect. They are slightly matt too, so the watermarks won't be visible!!

nadateturbe Tue 15-Jun-21 14:47:35

Fully tiled. Having said that, in our caravan the shower cubicle is plastic with an integrated seat. No chance of grout going mouldy. I would love this at home. Easy to wipe clean too.

FlexibleFriend Tue 15-Jun-21 14:16:01

I had my bathroom redone at xmas so the previous grout which was white was 20 years old and it had never discoloured. My current tiles are a darkish grey with lighter grey bits in with a border of aqua glass mosaics to break it up and the grout is dark grey. I really can't see it discolouring if the white didn't. I love my large format tiles but there's no need for them on every wall.

flump Tue 15-Jun-21 13:58:10

I agree with panels for the shower. The area is so much easier to wipe down and no problems with trying to keep the grout clean. We also have matching worktops.

Luckygirl Tue 15-Jun-21 13:52:00

In my new house the bathroom is tiled from floor to ceiling on every wall. It is in a pale grey - not a colour I would have chosen - but it is very practical......so far........

Amberone Tue 15-Jun-21 13:47:43

I am leaning toward plaster and paint so that I'm free to easily change colours in future. I think it's swings and roundabouts, cleaning tiles and regrouting or a lick of paint???

Pittcity We did the same, so we can change the look of the bathroom very quickly if we want to - we used a lovely green that looks a bit blue in the sunlight but in the LED light turns a grey-green. Very restful for a nice relaxing bath?

Amberone Tue 15-Jun-21 13:41:31

I'm not overly keen on all tiles rooms, some look lovely but I wouldn't want to have to replace all the tiles next time around, or deal with the discoloured grout. We part tiled/painted the main bathroom, but we'll use panels on the walls in the ensuite.

It's not the tiles that are the problem for me really, just how fast the grout goes grubby - we have very hard water, and the grout goes yellow around the shower where it gets a lot of water. I know you can whiten the grout but it never really looks the same and you're stuck with it until you can retile.

Chestnut Tue 15-Jun-21 13:07:22

Why is everyone still suggesting tiles? Crazy and old fashioned!

Try bathroom wall panels - large waterproof panels which are cut to size and save all the bother of tile grouting, and are easier to clean. They come in all colours and designs and look gorgeous. What's not to like?

I can't imagine why anyone would still use tiles!

Dee1012 Tue 15-Jun-21 12:47:15

My preference is for fully tiled around the shower but not the rest....similar to this.

M0nica Tue 15-Jun-21 11:13:24

I loath fully tiled bathrooms, they look like hotel bathrooms, clean, but clinical and impersonal. I particularly dislike white ones as they look institutional, as if a man in a blue coverall and industrial wellies could appear any moment to hose it down.

The other thing is that when a fully tiled bathroom starts to look tired and dated it costs a fortune to remove all the tiles and another fortune to retile. I am all for as much tiling as is needed and no more.

Jaxjacky Tue 15-Jun-21 10:54:51

We have fully tilled with mosaic patterns to break up the white, MrJ is a ceramic tiler, he re grouts if it’s getting tatty and often creates designs for customers.

Welshwife Tue 15-Jun-21 09:57:25

When we bought our last U.K. house the bathroom was like a black hole! The suite was an airforce blue and partly tiled in the same colour - the long wall was painted navy blue gloss and a long amber coloured shower screen and badly painted mock mahogany window frame completed the look.
We put a large shower tray in and beautifully shaped washbasin and toilet. We fully tiled the walls in a cream gloss tile with a sort of marble look. We had put new white double glazing in. The daylight in the room was lovely and to soften the effect I put a long lace curtain swept to the side on the window. One very tall white kitchen cupboard which fitted in between the shower and end wall completed it and there was never an array of toothbrushes etc as all were put away after use.
After every shower I wiped the two sides of glass with the special cloth and mopped the tiles with a micro thing on a pole. All cleaning in there done in the nude!

Newquay Tue 15-Jun-21 09:04:14

Fully tiled every time. Just had our bath taken out and replaced by walk in shower. Whiff all but describes our bathroom! We’re very pleased with it, feel much safer and no redecorating

Pittcity Tue 15-Jun-21 09:00:37

We are having our bathroom renovated soon.
It is fully tiled at present and is quite a large room as it was originally two rooms (loo in one, bath in other).
We are having panels around the bath/shower and as splashback instead of tiles (no grout to clean) but haven't decided on the rest of the walls.
I am leaning toward plaster and paint so that I'm free to easily change colours in future. I think it's swings and roundabouts, cleaning tiles and regrouting or a lick of paint???