Gransnet forums

House and home

Buying a new kitchen tap.Really don’t know what to do.

(19 Posts)
Lovetopaint037 Fri 02-Jul-21 14:58:28

I thought this would be relatively easy. Want a decent one that will last a decent amount of time so don’t want cheap. I thought about Bristans as they are British made and apparently you can get the ceramic replacement parts quite easily. However, it now seems they do mostly Easy Fit types. As there are so many warnings about these on the internet relating to unexpected flooding that I wish to avoid these completely. So left with German makes etc. But it appears to be really difficult to know what to do. I want a mono bloc with two taps so not a mixer. Thinking about spending a couple of hundred on the actual tap with fitting on top. Would spend more if it is a decent long serving one but don’t want water filters. Has anyone got any views on the subject.

Lovetopaint037 Fri 02-Jul-21 14:59:47

Forgot to say thank you in advance.

M0nica Fri 02-Jul-21 15:59:49

Gosh, this is a rather complex and detailed enquiry. We have just been revamping our kitchen and bathroom and we just looked at the range available in Wickes and B&Q and bought the one we though most suitable.

We have never really had any problems with taps. We buy them a plumber fits them and that is the end of it. We have lived in our current house 25 years, it was a makeover project so all the taps were replaceed initially in our first five years here. Since then we have replaced only one pair of taps because of leaks, the rest have only been changed with revamps

Nonogran Fri 02-Jul-21 17:41:52

Visit the DIY places! Look, ask questions, build your knowledge. Look on line. Visit plumbers’ suppliers & talk to the assistants.
Could you be turning something most of us handle without a second thought into a big worry? Have confidence & with enough information from your research, you’ll make the best choice.

Auntieflo Fri 02-Jul-21 17:46:58

We have used Bristan taps as all our replacement taps, with no trouble.
If you have a small, independent bathroom fitter nearby, go and ask their advice. We are lucky in that we have an excellent small bathroom fitter nearby.

chickenlegs Fri 02-Jul-21 18:00:49

Beware of Bristan now. We’ve been happy with them in the past but recently had to replace kitchen tap. It’s got two taps and a swan neck. When the Bristan one was fitted, the taps worked the wrong way. Clockwise to turn on. Speaking to the company we were told that’s the way they are. After some discussion, including me calling behind my husband, “We want our money back!”, they agreed to send us an adaptor kit free of charge which my husband fitted. They now work the right way.

Mattsmum2 Fri 02-Jul-21 20:38:29

I’ve had Franke taps in my utility and kitchen. They’re great, also chose ones with a pull out spray that’s part of the tap so is disguised when in ordinary use.

Spice101 Sat 03-Jul-21 00:39:41

When the Bristan one was fitted, the taps worked the wrong way. Clockwise to turn on.

Maybe it is being in the southern hemisphere but all our taps turn clockwise to turn on

Bigred18 Sat 03-Jul-21 02:56:09

Spice? Im Down Under and our taps are anti clockwise to turn on!

shysal Sat 03-Jul-21 08:09:20

I have been pleased with my Franke mixer, I expect the type you want would be good quality too. I chose levers rather than convential taps for ease in my old age with RA (have lever taps in bathroom too and much prefer them).
I wish you luck on your search.

Shandy57 Sat 03-Jul-21 08:55:50

When I contacted my plumber to replace my almost running kitchen tap, he bought two choices which they carry, made it very simple!

Lovetopaint037 Sat 03-Jul-21 09:10:19

Thank you all for answering. Yes I could be overthinking it all. I went to Wicks yesterday and saw a couple of ones that looked promising but was told they don’t sell them. I asked if I could order them and this woman said “no” I can get Bristans at a fairly local place but it was the fact they are mostly “easy fit”. There are detailed explanations on utube by a plumber who is supported by others saying that the tap is held in place by two screws and as the tap is turned off and on or a washing machine the screws can loosen. This has resulted in “exploding taps” and flooding. There is a video of it happening. He is advocating using an Allen key to tighten the screws up every week or so.! So looking for what shysal is describing so swan neck with levers for hot and cold. Hadn’t thought of Franke so going to have another look. Thank you all again. Also trying to locate A B & Q but the one that used to be reasonably close has closed.

or even washing machine etc

annsixty Sat 03-Jul-21 09:39:54

I must be very simplistic and trysting.
My kitchen tap started dripping recently and I contacted a local firm and added other small jobs which needed doing, the plumber suggested fitting a new tap as the one in situ, a mixer tap, had been fitted many years ago, he suggested ordering one from Amazon which I did and he came and fitted it.
It cost £25 plus fitting.
I can’t believe when new kitchens are fitted that expensive taps are used.
I have never heard of a tap exploding or anything other than occasionally needing a new washer.
This is an observation by the way, in no way a criticism, we all do what we like and can afford.

annsixty Sat 03-Jul-21 09:41:15

Ooh, I didn’t have a tryst with the plumber, honestly!!
I trusted him?

JackyB Sat 03-Jul-21 12:29:18

Definitely get on which pulls out and converts to a spray where preferable. Don't know how we managed without them!

Lovetopaint037 Thu 08-Jul-21 09:39:11

shysal

I have been pleased with my Franke mixer, I expect the type you want would be good quality too. I chose levers rather than convential taps for ease in my old age with RA (have lever taps in bathroom too and much prefer them).
I wish you luck on your search.

Thank you shisal. I now have one as described which I got from Screwfix. It is awaiting a plumber to establish it on my sink. It’s quite exciting! But not much is happening these days.

DiscoDancer1975 Thu 08-Jul-21 10:20:38

When you do buy one, see if you can work out how fierce the flow is. We had a new kitchen 18 months ago, and I hate the tap. It looks good, a mixer with an easily shiftable bar. The problem is, the hot part is just a narrow stream down the centre. The cold is around the outside. So the cold is fine, but the hot is so difficult to use. It just spurts so easily, and everything gets soaked.
I am used to it to a degree, but if other people use it, they practically need a change of clothes if I don’t warn them. My daughter put her head underneath to look, and could see. I can’t do this, it makes me dizzy.
Check if you can, before it’s fitted.

M0nica Thu 08-Jul-21 12:49:05

annesixty I am entirely with you. We have just had a kitchen refitted and are having changes ot our bathrooms as well and we are just wandering into Wickes or B&Q and buying taps off the shelf.

In over 50 years of house owning we have occasionally - and it is very occasionally - changed a washer, but that is as far as it goes.

Lovetopaint037 Fri 16-Jul-21 19:15:47

Thanks folks. Got a Franke one with levers as suggested by shysal. The plumber opened the box and pronounced it “a good tap”. It suits us fine