Gransnet forums

House and home

NHS & George cross

(33 Posts)
62Granny Mon 05-Jul-21 14:52:17

I worked in the NHS for nearly 30 years, so know how pushed they must have been over the last 18 months, I know a lot of people will make a big fuss of the service being awarded the George Cross but really to most of the workers if won't make the slightest difference, the very Top managers might get invited to a shindig but the coal face worker's won't get anything different. A medal to an organisation does not pay for the weekly shop in the supermarket. I think I am speaking for many today by saying a decent pay rise would have been appreciated much more.?

Lucca Tue 06-Jul-21 09:04:24

And I’m making the point that shop assistants were not alone in having to work.plus their contact with public was not prolonged

Sarnia Tue 06-Jul-21 09:13:12

62Granny

I worked in the NHS for nearly 30 years, so know how pushed they must have been over the last 18 months, I know a lot of people will make a big fuss of the service being awarded the George Cross but really to most of the workers if won't make the slightest difference, the very Top managers might get invited to a shindig but the coal face worker's won't get anything different. A medal to an organisation does not pay for the weekly shop in the supermarket. I think I am speaking for many today by saying a decent pay rise would have been appreciated much more.?

As a worker for the NHS for 17 years, I couldn't agree with you more. A decent salary that reflects the value of the NHS staff would be a much better way of thanking them.

MaizieD Tue 06-Jul-21 09:17:34

Lucca

And I’m making the point that shop assistants were not alone in having to work.plus their contact with public was not prolonged

They had to breathe all that covid laden air, though, before it was established that it was spread by aerosols and we finally got round to mask wearing.

But really, it's not a competition, is it? Essential workers, whatever their occupation, did a brilliant job (and a significant number lost their lives).

Aveline Tue 06-Jul-21 09:19:38

The trouble is re NHS that some staff are on very high salaries. Consultants on £100,000+ per annum down to cleaners on considerably less. Lots of admin and clerical staff too. All with very varied input to the Covid situation. They are not all poorly paid and I say that as one who retired from NHS (with a nice NHS pension) after 35 years.
So many other workers deserve our gratitude too.

emmasnan Tue 06-Jul-21 10:39:10

Lucca. I agree the contact was not prolonged but during initial lockdowns when shelves were often empty shop staff put up with a lot of verbal abuse and at times shoppers losing their temper and shouting up close in to their faces. Some did catch Covid and others worked longer hours to try and keep goods on the shelves for us.
We must also remember the teachers who kept schools open for essential workers and nurseries and childminders who did the same on a fairly low wage.

Lucca Tue 06-Jul-21 10:40:42

That’s my point.

Aveline Tue 06-Jul-21 10:48:44

And mine