Gransnet forums

House and home

Limescale

(28 Posts)
Noname Mon 12-Jul-21 01:05:03

I’m not sure if this has been asked before (I have had a look at previous threads) but wonder if anyone has any tried and tested methods for cleaning shower screens please? We live in quite a hard water area and I just can’t get the screens free from limescale droplets of water whatever I try! I’ve used various proprietary brands of limescale remover and also methods such as white vinegar, soda, etc but to no avail! Help!!

Savvy Mon 12-Jul-21 01:32:58

Have you tried lemon juice?

JackyB Mon 12-Jul-21 07:12:53

I have the same problem. I spray every day with a strong vinegar solution and have tried abrasive creams and sponges, evebuten used he scraper for the ceramic hob, but the grey chalky "curtains" will not go away. We have a water softener which is supposed to eliminate limescale in our mains water (to prevent clogging in the water pipes which lass through the solar panels on the roof) but I'm not convinced it is very effective, as the washbasins, taps and kettle all show signs of scale.

Whiff Mon 12-Jul-21 07:26:48

Where I used to live it was hard water . I used lemon juice daily as it was the only thing that kept the marking at bay. I also used a window scraper to get the water off the glass before leaving the cubicle.

Glad to say now live in soft water area but still get the water off the glass before leaving but only need to clean the glass once a week with lemon juice.

Sago Mon 12-Jul-21 08:28:30

We live with very hard water, the best lime scale remover is called Glaze, I buy it from a local hardware shop, I have attached a photo.
Once scale free I then dry the screen with a scrim and then use Vileda spray.

www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwiH46C8gN3xAhVvh_0HHVM0BHcQFjAOegQIIhAD&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.theplumbette.com.au%2Fplumbing%-to-keep-your-shower-screens-clean%2F&usg=AOvVaw3kZfnXNvcDBb7oFBUWduDR

This keeps scale at bay.

Sago Mon 12-Jul-21 08:31:10

Sorry new link. amazon.co.uk%2FVileda-Magical-Prevention-System-Cloth%2Fdp%2FB00IAM1PEK&usg=AOvVaw3Bxzr45RR95Xnu_nUzrrUo]]

Sago Mon 12-Jul-21 08:37:56

My links are not working….. sorry you will have to google the Vileda magical dirt system!,

Here is the Glaze photo.

Sar53 Mon 12-Jul-21 09:06:39

We too live in a very hard water area and I used to despair over the state of our fairly new shower screen.
I discovered Viacal, I think it is meant mainly for stainless steel, taps etc., but I find it works a treat sprayed directly onto the glass.
I leave it on for a few minutes, spray with the hose and then use a squeegee on the glass. Voila job done !!!

Witzend Mon 12-Jul-21 09:10:14

I don’t have a shower screen (good old curtain over the bath) but have always found Viakal very good for other things - we are also in a hard water area so I use it quite a lot.

tanith Mon 12-Jul-21 10:04:28

I live in London so hard water, I squeegee my shower screen before I get out every time and only have to use viakal on it every few months the squeegee helps keep it pretty much sparkling.

FlexibleFriend Mon 12-Jul-21 10:40:41

I'm also in London with hard water and use white vinegar to clean routinely. My shower screen has no issue with limescale. I have a folding shower screen and an Oxo good grips squeegee which is the perfect size for the screen. The only issue I have is with the plastic sealing strips where it joins thee bath, so I simply pull them off and clean them out with the white vinegar and a cotton bud before putting them back on.

Notright Mon 12-Jul-21 12:09:57

I ever have limescale on my shower because I wipe all the surfaces down after my shower with a window scraper. Doesn't take a minute and not a drop left on the glass.

mokryna Mon 12-Jul-21 12:15:12

I had the same problem. I wiped the glass with white vinegar on a sponge, left it for 10 minutes and to my surprise rinsed off to see clean glass. Use it on the balcony tiles as well.

SynchroSwimmer Mon 12-Jul-21 12:22:51

I’m getting really good (and easy) results using the new daily use shower sprays - 3 sprays each glass panel and go

Only recently did my second Viakal deeper clean on the glass, last time was around Xmas time.

Just spray and go and it keeps immaculate - hard water area too.

greenlady102 Mon 12-Jul-21 12:23:35

best thing I EVER did was get a water softener installed. Not cheap but lovely. It did my itchy skin a world of good.

missdeke Mon 12-Jul-21 12:32:59

The only thing I have found that I can rely on 100% is this robinfood.co.uk/urun/porcoz-pas-ve-kirec-cozucu/ I used to use it in Turkey and was devastated that I couldn't get it here but then I found this website. If it comes up in Turkish there is an 'English' button on the top right of the page. If you put it on limescale it actually fizzes!!

4allweknow Mon 12-Jul-21 12:48:10

Have an Oxo icing spreader (only about 5" so great for hanging in the shower) that I use every day to clear water from screen. Viakal only when I feel surface is beginning to cloud a bit. Viakal great on stainless steel sink in kitchen too.

Auntieflo Mon 12-Jul-21 12:53:01

Using the Karcher window thing, I find it keeps our shower screens limescale free.

H1954 Mon 12-Jul-21 12:55:48

White vinegar and washing up liquid, mix in a spray bottle. Spray the glass, leave for about an hour and rinse off. Brilliant results.

karenteuber Mon 12-Jul-21 13:12:21

Use daily shower spray it stops the lime sticking it's wonderful it's about £1 from all the supermarkets

Nannagarra Mon 12-Jul-21 13:39:19

I am also in a hard water area (north west). I do exactly the same as Flexiblefriend and have no issue with limescale marks. To do the job I buy large quantities of brown vinegar from A****n for a low price.
If there’s a stubborn deposit at the base of a tap, I leave the vinegar to soak then work at it with an old tooth brush before rinsing and buffing.

Noname Mon 12-Jul-21 14:01:44

Thank you all! I’ll read all the info you’ve given me and hopefully buy a new product that will help!

Shelflife Mon 12-Jul-21 14:14:31

I always spray my glass shower screen with shower spray , Mr Muscle is a good one. Spray on wet glass , and leave . No need to wipe ! Not sure it would be as good in a hard water area.

HazelEyes Tue 13-Jul-21 21:19:09

Karcher window vac is a game changer! Just add water with a small squirt of fairy. Spray the shower screen, wipe with the microfiber attachment. Turn on the window vac, and lightly vac the screen, this leaves it dry and almost streak free. If you like buff with a dry microfiber cloth! Can also clean tiles, windows, glass surfaces with the window vac.

mumofmadboys Wed 14-Jul-21 06:25:07

I am impressed with the people who clean their shower screens every day! I do mine about once or twice a month!!