Gransnet forums

House and home

What makes a house feel comfortable

(90 Posts)
Beswitched Thu 15-Jul-21 13:19:47

Just asking out of curiosity really.

If I'm staying in someone's house, as long as it's clean and warm I don't really care about anything else.

But rooms I really like are ones that aren't cluttered but do have lots of character - a mix of new and old furniture, paintings and photographs dotted around, colourful cushions, vases or jugs of flowers.

I'm not keen on matching 3 piece suites, or a very minimalist look.

Esspee Thu 15-Jul-21 17:34:20

It has to be clean and pet free for me. Pets mean it isn’t clean (even if the owner thinks it is). Decor is irrelevant as everyone has their own taste and I’m only there temporarily.

Chewbacca Thu 15-Jul-21 17:46:29

Any house that has a cat is home for me. Dislike dogs though as they smell bad no matter what their owners think.

Witzend Thu 15-Jul-21 17:57:00

Somewhere comfortable to sit! Should be obvious enough, but we often stayed with friends where the only really comfortable seating was the husband’s Throne, i.e. his reclining armchair.

Apart from that, a very relaxed atmosphere, no show-home perfection, where you sense that keeping everything just so is your hostess’s main concern.
And of course warm enough in winter, and on any chilly non-winter days.

Ditto to pets - to us, a friendly, waggly dog, and/or a cuddly cat, are always a bonus.

Blondiescot, we were the same when we had a dog - anyone who didn’t like her was more than welcome to stay away. Many years ago, a dd had a male student friend to stay for a few days. She didn’t tell me until after he’d left, but he didn’t like dogs, so she’d told him, ‘You’ll have to pretend to like our dog or my mum will hate you!’ ?
Something of an exaggeration, but I would certainly have altered my opinion of him!

Kate1949 Thu 15-Jul-21 18:01:50

No dogs. I feel very uncomfortable in a house where there are dogs. I can't wait to get out. Same goes for pubs and restaurants.

Kate1949 Thu 15-Jul-21 18:04:06

I was told once that someone thought I was a nice person until they found out I didn't like dogs. What a strange attitude.

Oldbat1 Thu 15-Jul-21 18:05:18

Ideally in my mind a home needs to be warm with squishy sofas, lighting you can see to read, magazines, dogs and cats. I do like to have a bedside lamp. I absolutely hate visiting a “perfect” show home as I never feel at ease.

JackyB Thu 15-Jul-21 19:01:03

As Amberone says, it's the host(ess) and their attitude that makes the difference. Obviously they shouldn't be on their phones all the time, nor should they be busying round tidying up or spending ages in the kitchen.

Guests should not feel as though they are a burden.

Blondiescot Thu 15-Jul-21 20:02:25

Kate1949

I was told once that someone thought I was a nice person until they found out I didn't like dogs. What a strange attitude.

Strange or not, that's how I feel. I never trust anyone who doesn't like animals - and if an animal doesn't like someone, then that says it all for me.

Allsorts Thu 15-Jul-21 20:15:47

Clean and comfortable. I don’t care if the furniture is mismatched, it’s their home. Don’t like smoking or doggy smells.

LauraNorder Thu 15-Jul-21 20:20:58

Goes without saying that a relaxed and friendly host is the thing that makes a home feel welcoming but I do like a home with interest, paintings, objet d’art, unusual furnishings.
Also comfortable chairs and beds.
My pet hate is a mountain of cushions on the bed.

dragonfly46 Thu 15-Jul-21 20:22:58

A home is comfortable if the hosts are kind and welcoming. I don’t care what their furnishings are or how big it us. What matters is if I feel at home.

OnwardandUpward Thu 15-Jul-21 20:40:35

On a sofa good cushions and throw blankets are nice for snuggling and getting comfortable. A good mattress and plump pillows with high cotton thread bedding and adaptable lighting is relaxing for the bedroom. Relaxing items, like books, interesting objects, candles, fresh flowers, beautiful pot plants and art. Polished floors with unusual rugs and pets, lots of pets. I'm sure everyone has their own preferences though

CanadianGran Thu 15-Jul-21 21:26:09

I think the style of furniture doesn't matter as long as there is somewhere to sit that is comfortable, a table nearby to set your drink, and a friend or relative to welcome you.

When I think of my favourite houses to visit they tend to be smaller, furniture arranged so conversation is easy, and I am made to feel at home. At one friend's house we rarely leave the kitchen, nattering around the table with coffee or tea for hours.

Another favourite belongs to one of my book group members. A spacious entryway, soft earthy colours and a not-too-big living room where all the furniture is comfy and arranged so we face each other. Interesting art and healthy plants at the window.

Kate1949 Thu 15-Jul-21 21:39:59

Perhaps I'm not a nice person then. shock I thought I was. I didn't say I don't like animals. I do. Just not dogs. It's almost a crime to say so.

Jaxjacky Thu 15-Jul-21 22:06:39

Kate1949 I don’t dislike animals, just choose not to have any. We don’t like dog smelly houses, owners that allow animals to rule their lives with pets that are out of control, (predominately dogs), jumping up, licking plates, all over the kitchen surfaces and the sole source of conversation. Perhaps I’m not nice either!

BigBertha1 Thu 15-Jul-21 22:13:58

I'd be glad to be invited anywhere but if it's really untidy it would be difficult not to tidy up. If there is no alcohol and iron rations I wouldn't stay

Chewbacca Thu 15-Jul-21 22:15:27

Perhaps I'm not a nice person then. shock I thought I was. I didn't say I don't like animals. I do. Just not dogs. It's almost a crime to say so.

I feel the same way about dogs Kate1949 and it's not a crime to say so!

Sara1954 Thu 15-Jul-21 22:19:42

Goodness me, I don’t like dogs either Kate, well I don’t mind them, just not anywhere near me.
That is just ridiculous to say you can’t be a nice person if you don’t like dogs, absolutely ridiculous!

misty34 Thu 15-Jul-21 22:24:23

I can agree with some of the comments above but for me the Only important thing that makes a home feel comfortable for me are the people in it!

Kate1949 Thu 15-Jul-21 22:45:05

Anyway sorry for sidetracking the thread. Anywhere that makes me feel welcome is lovely.

Beswitched Fri 16-Jul-21 00:02:27

Chewbacca

^Perhaps I'm not a nice person then. shock I thought I was. I didn't say I don't like animals. I do.^ Just not dogs. It's almost a crime to say so.

I feel the same way about dogs Kate1949 and it's not a crime to say so!

I'm very nervous of dogs. Obviously if I'm staying somewhere where there's a dog I'll get used to it after a couple of hours. But I still wouldn't want it sitting under the table when we're eating or jumping up on me.

Not trusting someone who doesn't like dogs is ridiculous.

MaggieTulliver Fri 16-Jul-21 00:11:13

Pleased so many are saying they need books. Also hate anything matchy matchy and try to live by the William Morris mantra of not having anything unless it’s useful or beautiful.

Ro60 Fri 16-Jul-21 00:59:14

Agree with your choices Beswitch plus books, the odd curio, Wi-Fi & a variety of lighting.

Savvy Fri 16-Jul-21 01:08:40

I much prefer animals to people, so any pets are OK by me.

I don't mind pet smells as long as its not urine or faeces, as that tells me the animal is not being well cared for. We smell to animals so its natural that they smell to us. I'm not a fan of artificial scents.

I like a good selection of books, a comfy chair where you can put your feet up and somewhere I can make a coffee if I want one. A nice open fire to make toast on is a bonus.

Shelflife Fri 16-Jul-21 07:46:44

We have a cat also a good friend who is frightened of cats . If she comes to stay a few days I put my cat in the cattery . She called in recently for a coffee and chat on route to holiday , only stayed a couple of hours so my cat was put on the utility room . She jumped straight into her bed and was content to stay there till our guest left. She is so scared of all cats , ours cat is super friendly but that makes no difference. I are happy to do that , my friend is very important to me and I consider making her comfortable a priority . If I stay in someone's house I too like a window that opens but my main expectation is to made to feel very welcome and relaxed .