Gransnet forums

House and home

Decorating - do you sometimes think you are too old to do this stuff!

(68 Posts)
Kali2 Fri 23-Jul-21 08:20:44

Finally plucked the courage to do the end guest bedroom. All is very old and so much sanding, sugard soaping, filling, etc required. Ceiling beams so hard to do on a ladder, and I have to lie down on cushions and shuffle around the room to do skirtings.

I know it will feel great when it is finished - I did 2 last Summer- but it is hard work.

Do you do the decorating? OH's has health problems and several crushed vertebrae in neck and used to work such long hours- so I have always been the decorator and gardener here.

MissAdventure Sat 24-Jul-21 22:31:54

I reckon there is a business opportunity right there.
Someone who would come in and prepare the room, shift furniture, wipe down, ready for the painters.

nadateturbe Sat 24-Jul-21 22:42:13

We try to do little bits like doors and skirting. But pay mostly for papering and painting walls and ceilings. At the minute I'm ashamed to say we have had masking tape around the edges of the landing for three /four months and have only half the doors done.

MissAdventure Sat 24-Jul-21 22:52:59

I was painting my living room for 4 months, only because decorators wanted me to move all the furniture out, and I just can't do it these days.

Georgesgran Sun 25-Jul-21 00:24:15

I’m with MawBe. When first married, we didn’t have two halfpennies to rub together and both worked 2 jobs. Holidays were spent decorating - usually factory fortnight coincided with the hottest weeks in the year! DH and my DF tackled all car maintenance and repairs - I remember a gearbox in pieces in the kitchen for a week.
As soon as we had a bit of money our first luxury was professional decorators, then as he got a company car, mine could be regularly serviced at a local garage, eventually a cleaner and someone to keep on top of the garden. As others have said, it keeps a whole sector of industry going.

Kali2 Sun 25-Jul-21 10:05:02

Ah well, needs must.

Today, no student- so OH has been helping with with the sander to do all the skirtings. He can't work up because of his neck, but lying down on big cushions, he can shuffle along! I have been doing bit of filling where paint came off, and sugar soaping and clear washing. Much less hot today, so much easier.

Having a good rest now, lunch then onwards and forwards to finish all preparation for painting tomorrow when student comes. I thought she was 17-18 as she is so tall, but she is only 15- wow. Such a hard worker, and very pleasant to work with- and she will earn enough for the camping holiday she is going on with 2 big brothers and friends. Good kid.

My GS is 15 and about as tall, but I just can't imagine him doing what she has done last few days! Impressed.

Kali2 Sun 25-Jul-21 14:58:29

OH has sanded all skirtings and large window sill- and I have hoovered all the dust and sugar soaped, and rinsed, and filled a few bits. Ready to continue tomorrow.

M0nica Sun 25-Jul-21 23:26:04

Well, I have finished painting the bargeboards around the new extension and DH has almost completed the guttering. I have bought a big professional dust sheet because I am going to be doing all the decorating in the new expanded kitchen and new utility room. That includes all the ceilings, which is not my favourite kind of painting. I am just so thankful, that in my late 70s I am still more than capapble of doing all this decorating. Long may it last!

Nannytopsy Sun 25-Jul-21 23:49:00

I am another who is vertically challenged, with dodgy knees! I have always done the decorating but next month we have someone coming to do the hall, landing and stairs which are too high for me, with 12 doors. He will also do upstairs outside - last summer I painted the downstairs windows.
I use a platform but climbing up and down puts pressure on arthritic knees.
Oh to be young again!

crazyH Sun 25-Jul-21 23:52:15

Well done to all those who tackle their own decorating. I wouldn’t know where to start. I am having all downstairs painted in September. I have engaged the services of an extended family member, who is adept at this. He took it up after he retired. And what started as a hobby, is now a nice little earner. And why not ?

Kali2 Mon 26-Jul-21 15:37:33

Why not indeed if it is not tooo expensive.

I must say I am totally cream crackered- just stopped now as we (student and me) got a first coat on everywhere- she has been a real trooper and fun to work with.

But wow, I can hardly move- so yes, getting too old for this caper.

CrazyH- like everything, you pick it up as you go along. First time I wallpapered, I was just a young mum, and my next door neighbour was amazing with us and the new baby + toddler.

We were having coffee and she said she'd love to have the lounge papered and I said 'ah well, I'll do it for you' as she was so helpful to us. Thank *od it was the days when woodchip was all the rage, and so forgiving! So I did it, and painted it all- and I did a good job of it- her OH was amazed.

Off for a rest and put me feet up now!

ixion Mon 26-Jul-21 16:25:23

Question on sugar soap -
Can it be used to wash down ageing paintwork pure and simple, where there are no plans to proceed to preparing surfaces for painting?
Would it affect/damage paintwork in any way? (e.g. by dulling finish, acting as a sort of abrasive?)
Thank you!

GrannyGravy13 Mon 26-Jul-21 17:25:15

Been in current home 33 years, too busy with business and children to decorate or DIY have always got a man/women in

MerylStreep Mon 26-Jul-21 17:32:11

ixion
Yes, sugar soap will act as an abrasive.

ixion Mon 26-Jul-21 17:44:31

MerylStreep Thanks!
Bucket of Flash it is then!

Kali2 Mon 26-Jul-21 17:50:02

Sugar soap does not strip it, but helps give paint more 'bite, with sanding- and has to be rinsed thoroughly- so not to be used unless you are going to repaint.

ixion Mon 26-Jul-21 18:10:44

Thank you too Kali2.
Decision time, then.
Do I we repaint or wash thoroughly to 'rejuvenate?'?
Will think and discuss with Mr.I!

Kali2 Mon 26-Jul-21 18:14:19

Decision time - break a leg ;)

At the moment, I wish I had not started as I am so tired and can hardly move. That room has probably not been decorated since ...the 50s at best- perhaps earlier even. Not for the fainthearted.