Gransnet forums

House and home

How do I use Pinterest for ideas?

(39 Posts)
TerriT Sun 25-Jul-21 12:06:38

I get very confused useing Pinterest. Is it me? How do others get ideas on it. I hear others rave about it so what am I not getting?

Mamma66 Mon 02-Aug-21 16:21:20

I love Pinterest, I spend hours on it. We are part way through renovating our house and I have a different board for each room which has massively helped with the design. Think of it a an electronic scrap board where you can create mood boards with your ideas and inspiration from others / Pinterest

Callistemon Mon 02-Aug-21 16:21:50

TerriT

I get very confused useing Pinterest. Is it me? How do others get ideas on it. I hear others rave about it so what am I not getting?

I just don't get it at all!!

I decided to delete my account but found it very difficult, in fact I'm still not sure if I'm registered.

00mam00 Mon 02-Aug-21 17:07:00

I use it on my iPad and once I have logged in, I don’t bother to log out, so it’s always there on my top bar ready to tap into.

mrswoo Mon 02-Aug-21 17:20:20

I first registered with Pinterest several years ago. I was utterly confused and bemused by it all and never used it.
However ...
I returned to the website recently and am now hooked. I found that the more I use it they more addicted I have become. I now have numerous “boards” which I add to almost on a daily basis.
I don’t knit, sew or make things so I mainly save recipes, gift ideas, and home and garden inspiration. I also save pictures of works of art - traditional and modern and as a result have become really interested in, and learnt a lot about, art and artists.
I would suggest to anyone struggling with Pinterest to take a look at some member’s boards to get an idea of how the site can be used and then jump in and start saving your own ideas. It all seems a bit complicated at first but be warned, it can be very addictive.

mrsgreenfingers56 Mon 02-Aug-21 17:24:29

I did a thread about this approx a year ago asking "Am I being thick here or not getting it" over Pinterest. You think you are getting a knitting pattern etc and it's not there and I just ended being frustrated with the site. Decided to give up in the end!

Kalu Mon 02-Aug-21 17:40:08

I use it a lot for inspiration when any idea comes into my head, ie; wondering what a certain colour of walls would look like in a certain room, I would search String - Farrow & Ball.

Try putting converted barn decor into the search bar and you will find many ideas to think about TerriT. As others have said, anything which might be of use, press save which will allow you to have a board which you can title, Barn Decor, something you can return to and add to at any time.

Kalu Mon 02-Aug-21 17:44:31

Just had a look. ‘Converted barn interiors’ has come up with many different ideas. Good luck.

Witzend Mon 02-Aug-21 18:52:56

I was the same, mrsgreenfingers56. I was trying to find patterns for Barbie clothes for Gdd - plenty of pictures but I couldn’t see how to access the patterns. Very frustrating.

Since then I’ve stuck to the Lovecrafts website etc.

Blinko Mon 02-Aug-21 20:51:59

I use Pinterest all the time for recipes mostly but also for anything else that comes to mind, whatever I'm doing at the time. I don't really see why some people find it either frustrating or confusing, I find it quite straightforward.

Take recipes, for instance, you can ask for recipes by ingredient, or by type, eg. vegan, keto, non dairy, vegetarian, French, Thai, Dutch, you name it.

What's not to like?

Cymres1 Tue 03-Aug-21 10:41:54

SecondhandRose

I love it. I have an account with Readly for 100s magazines for £7.99 a month. I take screenshots of what I like especially interiors and then I add them to my Pinterest pages.

That's such a good idea, didn't know that would work. My very old house needs a revamp, by the time I have bought a couple of housy mags the £7.99 is easily eaten up. Thanks for the heads up and best of luck with Pinterest for the OP.
Just an aside... Also happy weaving to the loom lady, from an addicted handspinning fan. Any help needed, look into your local spinning, weaving and dyers guild. Loads of them getting back together in person now rather than zoomed.

Kalu Tue 03-Aug-21 11:59:43

Where is the OP?

Witzend Wed 04-Aug-21 11:02:43

Despite my PP, I did once find Pinterest v useful for ideas for the table flowers for dd’s big wedding do. I’m not at all naturally artistic, but someone else’s idea of jam jars covered with hessian, plus a simple arrangement, worked very well.

This was some of them, after the event.

Flaxseed Wed 04-Aug-21 20:39:43

witzend
They look beautiful smile